• ...and so much more!
  • EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    More numbers than "1" -- myself --

-- might argue that the Judge, properly loaded, is a good match for any would-be baddie. I would unleash its .410 cylinder slowly enough to reach my Traditions 3"-Mag semi-auto. MAN! it kicks, but it works. My Judge's loads barely penetrate wall-board w/ painted-over wall-paper, and regularly penetrate 8-inches (average) of wet news-print. I would NOT want to take one shot from it on myself. YMMV, but I really trust mine. "... from what I've read" really needs some back-up here, or it's merely opinion. EBG.
    the judge is not a good choice for SD/HD...the ballistics are pretty awful from what I've read. :

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    930 SPX loaded with Federal 3" Magnum Double Ought Buck Shot. 15 copper plated pellets of flesh tearing goodness.

Of course, there's always an M&P45 close by ready to go as well...

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    My security system is a Remington 870 Exp. Mag 12 ga. with 4 Federal 2 3/4" 9 pellet 00 flitecontrols in the tube and 5 more on the stock backed up by a P95 9mm with 31 Federal HST 147 grain hollow points.

Felonious entry not recommended.

Last edited:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Once & for all, a ye or ne for the shotgun as home defense:dunno:
    The idea of firing "shot", at close range, is superior to firing a bullet - unless you have an automatic and don't have to worry about the bullet blowing through walls and hitting anyone else. The brutal wounds that a shotgun will deliver is devistating.:twocents:

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    From a stationary position I'd certainly prefer it over a handgun. Then again I'd take my AR first. (no it's not over penetrative with good ammo)

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Although I prefer a handgun(more manuverable ,not as loud ,not as heavy,blah blah) I would not feel undergunned with a super reliable Rem 870 ,the mere cycling of this weapon strikes fear into any unwelcome intruder.

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    My Glock 23 is right next to my 12 gauge pump, so I can grab either depending on the circumstances.

I have frangible 00 Buck loaded in the shotgun, so I'm a little less worried about over penetration issues.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I get a "GOOD FEELING" when I have my BENELLI M1 SUPER 90, with extended mag tube, rifle sights, & pistol grip or my BERETTA 1201 FP with extended mag tube, rifle sights, & pistol grip. Either one should get the job done.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    the judge is not a good choice for SD/HD...the ballistics are pretty awful from what I've read.

and i wouldn't bet my life on a perp being scared of a noise. :twocents:

Based on a show I saw on HD weapons, they tested a wide variety of weapons, cals, and shotshells, a Judge with 410 Remington Self Defense cartridges came out on top in shooting ballistic jell by a long "shot". Taking over penetration into account as well.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Based on a show I saw on HD weapons, they tested a wide variety of weapons, cals, and shotshells, a Judge with 410 Remington Self Defense cartridges came out on top in shooting ballistic jell by a long "shot". Taking over penetration into account as well.

The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

these guys found the opposite....the 410 didn't perform very well. perhaps it was just that particular load?

regardless, i would take the time tested Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 with 00 buck over the judge. I personally prefer a carbine, but ymmv.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

I have fired a couple of them and found them to be, lacking in the capabilities area...

Top Bottom