• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WoG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Plainfield
    Going from CCI (not that CCI is the best in the world) to some cheap bulk .22 ammo, I had some jams in a 10/22.

What do you guys generally use when a bullet gets stuck in the chamber or you get a missfire - to get the bullet out? My manuals say a wooden dowel, but I wondered if you guys had any tips or tricks to dislodge a live round.

Thanks

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I dont know. I shoot glocks:D. But, a 22 I have has had that before. It has a shorter barrel so I just used a small screwdriver I had with me at the range. Ive seen guys clears jams like that and squibs with wooden dowels, dont be afraid to hit it harder than you think you should, It might take some force.

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    First thing, it sounds like your 10/22 needs a good cleaning or you need to replace the extractor on the rifle. As for removing a live round, either a dowel or a standard cleaning rod. If the round is just stuck in the chamber, a couple of light taps a cleaning rod will knock it out. But you can also dump the magazine and cycle the bolt then try firing it again, that works a lot of the time too.

RH

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    This.

First thing, it sounds like your 10/22 needs a good cleaning or you need to replace the extractor on the rifle. As for removing a live round, either a dowel or a standard cleaning rod. If the round is just stuck in the chamber, a couple of light taps a cleaning rod will knock it out. But you can also dump the magazine and cycle the bolt then try firing it again, that works a lot of the time too.

RH

Get a sharp extractor with a stronger spring. And while you have that all out, you can polish the bolt assembly and the inside of the receiver. makes it a bit smoother.

WoG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Plainfield
    The Ruger 10/22 is brand new, with less than 100 rounds through it. I'll check the extractor - but mainly I was just wanting to hear how you guys clear the chamber with a bad round/jam. I like the wooden dowel idea, but I'm just a n00b.

Maybe I'm being too paranoid, but using anything metal freaks me out.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I dont know. I shoot glocks:D. But, a 22 I have has had that before. It has a shorter barrel so I just used a small screwdriver I had with me at the range. Ive seen guys clears jams like that and squibs with wooden dowels, dont be afraid to hit it harder than you think you should, It might take some force.

You own Glocks, so you should have alot of knowledge on this situation. Anyways 9 out of 10 times, if you cycle the bolt it will eject the round. The only time it should be a pain is if the casing splits, and or expandes. The safest way to do it, is wait about 30 seconds then cycle the bolt. If the round does not eject, see if it fires. If not remove it from the chamber, and discard it.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    You own Glocks, so you should have alot of knowledge on this situation. Anyways 9 out of 10 times, if you cycle the bolt it will eject the round. The only time it should be a pain is if the casing splits, and or expandes. The safest way to do it, is wait about 30 seconds then cycle the bolt. If the round does not eject, see if it fires. If not remove it from the chamber, and discard it.
    I have never had any glock jam on me, ever, with thousands of rounds shot through them, never once. Dont know what kind of glocks youve been shooting

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    OP is talking about a 10/22 not sure where this Glock stuff got thrown in.

If one of my .22 rifles jams and won't come out with a little shaking and have the bolt open I'll use something small to pull it out or lower a cleaning rod slowly down the barrel to push out the stuck round.

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    I use my cleaning rod. It is not always good idea to buy the cheapest .22LR ammo, as in most cases that would ruin your fun later. CCI is good and not that expensive, I also like the Federal bulk packs at Walmart.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    I shoot Glocks a lot, AND I reload . . . . . . . .

. . . . and occasionally reload a boo-boo I carry an aluminum gutter-spike and a block of wood to force the bullet-part back out of the breech. Never had it happen, yet. Pat.

Top Bottom