• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN
    With all the new bore cleaner solvents on the market today it's hard to choose. I have always used Hoppe's #9 but do you have a better one? :dunno:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke (12 January 1729 – 9 July 1797)

Hoppe's #9 - Then Swipe with a patch damp with white vinegar (yes, white vinegar - it will pick up left over residue), then a swipe with oil.

Squeeky Clean.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hoppe's #9 - Then Swipe with a patch damp with white vinegar (yes, white vinegar - it will pick up left over residue), then a swipe with oil.

Squeeky Clean.

I like using Hoppe's No. 9 too. I haven't tried the vinegar after, but I may try that too. Personally, I don't like using a lot of the spray cleaners and spray oil. I prefer to err on the squeeky clean side instead of the wet, sloppy, or oily side. I know some will disagree, but it's always worked for me and my guns so far...

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Hoppe's is my favorite, too...but recently, I've been crushing on Ballistol.
    It's what's in the PatchWorm's pre-soaked patches.

ballistol.jpg

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I use #9 for general stuff
    I use different copper cleaners I have several on the shelf, #9 benchrest, butches boreshine, sweets, and a few others

keep clp, and snake oil, plus others for lube

PaPa 260

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    Either Butches Bore Shine, or Shooters Choice. Both are more aggresive copper removers that Hoppes # 9. I have used Hoppe's Benchrest Copper Remover and it isn't bad, just not quite as agressive.

PaPa260

Steven

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2008
    Whitley County
    Hoppes #9 for me, I like the fact that it's not too aggressive, which only means that it needs to soak a little longer, less of a chance causing harm to the base metal.
    It works and.....smells good. :D

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    There was a similar thread a few weeks ago in which I stated that I'd just been looking at a gallon can of Kroil that day, and it listed cleaning guns as a use. Given the awesome job it does as a rust preventative and in breaking loose stuck nuts and bolts etc,... I thought this was pretty good. Used some a couple of evenings ago to clean a couple of handguns and a shotgun up, and was pretty impressed by the performance. Now that's only three uses, so I'm not gonna start a new religion around it or anything like that, but pretty good so far.

:ingo:

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    Could you give me alittle more info on the Kroil? Where did you get it and about how much it cost. To be able to clean and protect in one step sure sounds good.

Top Bottom