What's your fave way to season cast iron?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I use animal fat, preferably bacon, over an open fire. When done cooking I leave the fat in the pan and get it hot enough to burn almost everything off, then carry it to the lake, put a bit of sand and water in it and swirl it around until the solids are all removed.. then heat it again. I NEVER wash them or put soap in them, sand and water only with no pressure or wiping. After doing this several times it winds up with a sort of dirty, congealed grease feel and appearance which is IMO what seasonig a pan is supposed to do. No science involved, just the way I do it and it seems to work?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Thanks for the insight. The only cast iron that gets used in our house is the Skookie makers. I know my wife seasoned them at first but didn't know you had to do it everytime.

The better seasoned it is, the longer it will last. But if, like my problem, you can't get it to stay seasoned after one batch of bacon and eggs, well, it just sucks scraping off the egg residue and finding your pan looks dull and gray instead of dark black and shiny.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    The best way I've found to season my skillets (a couple lodge and some were my great-grandmothers), place said iron in oven, set oven to self-clean. Remove from oven after it unlocks, wipe in lard, allow to cool overnight. To keep season fresh place in oven or on stovetop and warm, wipe with lard, bacon grease, or oil of your choosing, put away when cool.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

Anecdotes versus science.

Science wins.

Stop guessing, folks...
    your grandma will thank you:

The Proper Way to Season Cast Iron

If you had bothered to read the post, you would see that it deals quite directly with polymerization of fatty oils and fatty acids, particularly alpha linoleic acid, and their interaction with cast iron to provide a superior cook surface and seasoning. Repeated, verifiable experimental results which I can testify does produce a superior surface than all of these 'guess and see' approaches to it. Science. I would much rather provide solid information which I can vouch for rather than how I used to suboptimally (read: incorrectly) do it. I used to use a combination of olive oil and bacon grease. This is far and away not the best way to season cast iron.

Stick to what you like, as it please, but there is an optimal way to do this. Whether you choose to utilize what has been demonstrated and offered is up to you, but until you spend months or years perfecting a more efficient, optimal process, you'll forgive me if I disregard all the :bs: that spews into my browser.

They are pre-seasoned, meaning you don't have to reseason if you don't want to. I stripped, polished and reseasoned mine because I found new information, but you do not have to strip/reseason Lodge pans if you don't feel like it, as they are pre-seasoned with a proprietary soy oil/vegetable oil blend. Says as much on the tag.

On a side note, anyone got any Wagner/Gris they'd be in the mood to sell in the area? I pay cash.

*yawn… your uppityness on the subject bores me. The OP asked for our "favorite way to season cast iron", not for you to repeatedly post the results of your google search. :rolleyes:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Best way IMHO is bacon fat laced with garlic. I won't use anything else with my cast iron, Gives everything a phenomenal flavor. And yes I know the bacon comments get old but it truly is a gift from the gods.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I saw something recently that says to use grapeseed oil to season and a liberal pile of kosher salt to clean out the crusties. Frying anything, especially chicken is a great way to season.

Personally, after cooking, I'll run hot water into mine and use either a nylon scrubbie brush or a dish scraper that came with my stoneware to scrape out the crusties, then toss it onto the stove to evaporate the water and heat up for the next coat of oil. The water beads off as I wash it since it's already seasoned, and the next coat of oil (olive or canola, depending on what I grab from the pantry) keeps it ready for the next thing I cook.

I made an egg pie (wasn't a quiche as it didn't have a crust) after browning a roll of sausage, chopping some cheese, peppers and onions and pouring the beaten eggs into the pan. Let it heat on the stove for a few minutes, tossed it into the oven for several more, then turned on the broiler to get the top nice and set. It slid right out when I cut it.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I made an egg pie (wasn't a quiche as it didn't have a crust) after browning a roll of sausage, chopping some cheese, peppers and onions and pouring the beaten eggs into the pan. Let it heat on the stove for a few minutes, tossed it into the oven for several more, then turned on the broiler to get the top nice and set. It slid right out when I cut it.

That's called a frittata, and they're delicious!! :rockwoot:

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie

As an FYI, if you have some stale bread that you wouldn't otherwise eat, break it into bite sized chunks and add it to that mix above. Makes for a nice volume expander, which comes in handy if you're feeding more than two or three folks.

nrbq

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    knox county
    lodge

Olive oil it and leave it in the oven. Then every couple times you use the oven for pizza,baking etc, Olive oil it again,repeat repeat it never leaves the oven.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Again, absolutely up to you to do it wrong.
    But that is my favorite (and only) method of seasoning cast iron. :):

Again, the title of this thread is:
    "What's your fave way to season cast iron?"

Key words being YOUR and FAVORITE.

The thread title is not:
    "What is the most scientifically proven method that is undeniably the best and only way to season cast iron"

:n00b:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    If you had bothered to read the post, you would see that it deals quite directly with polymerization of fatty oils and fatty acids, particularly alpha linoleic acid, and their interaction with cast iron to provide a superior cook surface and seasoning. Repeated, verifiable experimental results which I can testify does produce a superior surface than all of these 'guess and see' approaches to it. Science. I would much rather provide solid information which I can vouch for rather than how I used to suboptimally (read: incorrectly) do it. I used to use a combination of olive oil and bacon grease. This is far and away not the best way to season cast iron.

Stick to what you like, as it please, but there is an optimal way to do this. Whether you choose to utilize what has been demonstrated and offered is up to you, but until you spend months or years perfecting a more efficient, optimal process, you'll forgive me if I disregard all the :bs: that spews into my browser.

Yeah, I've read the Sheryl Canter stuff and tried it, as have other cast iron afficionado's of my acquaintance. It works sometimes, but is far from the be all, end all of cast iron seasoning.

Quite often the ridiculously expensive flaxseed oil just flakes off.

If you think that the content of that article is somehow "science" you will have to forgive me for laughing. It is a layperson's "science based" attempt to prove a hypothesis through "tryin sumpthin out!"

Here is a hint, scientific literature is not filled with statements like:

As best I can tell from my reading, the cast iron seasoning process is an example of “radical polymerization”.
    Rather, it is someone's best guess based off on reading up on the subject as to what will work best.

If you think that anything in that article + personal experience equals anything like:

Repeated, verifiable experimental results which I can testify does produce a superior surface than all of these 'guess and see' approaches to it.
    I submit you need to read up on the scientific method.

Plus, if you read the comments below that Sheryl Canter blog post, you will note than dang near a majority of people who tried her method ended up with flake offs and a sticking surface. By your logic, those repeated results scientifically establishes the crappiness of the method.

It is far from science.

Having tried the flaxseed experiment and dozens of others, I personally find that the Wagner and Griswold Society's method works best for me; significantly outperforming the purportedly "scientific" method.

Wagner and Griswold Society

I don't claim it to be the end all, be all; and nor do I insult those who prefer other methods. However, I will say it has worked quite well for me.

I will say, I've wanted for some time to try a variation of the grill method ridiculed above. Having burnt a fair bit of oil in my day, it sounds like something that might work.

Joe

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Again, the title of this thread is:
    "What's your fave way to season cast iron?"

Key words being YOUR and FAVORITE.

The thread title is not:
    "What is the most scientifically proven method that is undeniably the best and only way to season cast iron"

:n00b:

:yesway: It amazes me that some people can make an argument out of simple kitchen cooking techniques.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    :yesway: It amazes me that some people can make an argument out of simple kitchen cooking techniques.

You know, that was my initial thought as well, but this IS INGO..

:D

I blame the banning of religious discourse.;) When people can't argue religion, they start substituting blog posts on cast iron seasoning for dogmatic principles of faith and ex cathedra doctrines!

I eagerly await the posting of the 95 Theses of Flaxseed Oil as well as the Book of Common Seasoning Methods and the Decrees of the Council of Ferrous Metals.

Of course, these need to be posted in Latin or Greek for true doctrinal authenticity!

Best,

Joe

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I blame the banning of religious discourse.;) When people can't argue religion, they start substituting blog posts on cast iron seasoning for dogmatic principles of faith and ex cathedra doctrines!

I eagerly await the posting of the 95 Theses of Flaxseed Oil as well as the Book of Common Seasoning Methods and the Decrees of the Council of Ferrous Metals.

Of course, these need to be posted in Latin or Greek for true doctrinal authenticity!

Best,

Joe

:laugh::laugh:

I can't Rep you again, but would if I could..

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I read from the Book of Dutch Oven, chapter 4, verses 3-12...

Oday otnay easonsay inethay astcay ironway ithway inferiorway
    oilsway, utbay endeavourway otay usethway outhay osethay
    oliesthay ofway allway, inethay easegray emainsray ofway Aconbay
    , orway inethay ardlay ofway igpay.

Eepestkay eanclay ythay anpay ybay emovingray ustycray itsbay
    afterway yingfray.

Outhay altshay otnay ashway ythay anspay ithway oapsay.
    Outhay altshay otnay allowway ythay anspay otay ustray.
    Outay altshay onorhay ythay atherfay andway othermay ybay
    operlypray aintainingmay ythay astcay ironway ookingcay
    instrumentsway andway assingpay emthay ownday otay inethay
    offspringway.

Translation from the New Latin:

Do not season thine cast iron with inferior oils, but endeavour to useth thou those holiest of all, thine grease remains of Bacon, or thine lard of pig.

Keepest clean thy pan by removing crusty bits after frying.

Thou shalt not wash thy pans with soap.
    Thou shalt not allow thy pans to rust.
    Tou shalt honor thy father and mother by properly maintaining thy cast iron cooking instruments and passing them down to thine offspring.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I read from the Book of Dutch Oven, chapter 4, verses 3-12...

Oday otnay easonsay inethay astcay ironway ithway inferiorway
    oilsway, utbay endeavourway otay usethway outhay osethay
    oliesthay ofway allway, inethay easegray emainsray ofway Aconbay
    , orway inethay ardlay ofway igpay.

Eepestkay eanclay ythay anpay ybay emovingray ustycray itsbay
    afterway yingfray.

Outhay altshay otnay ashway ythay anspay ithway oapsay.
    Outhay altshay otnay allowway ythay anspay otay ustray.
    Outay altshay onorhay ythay atherfay andway othermay ybay
    operlypray aintainingmay ythay astcay ironway ookingcay
    instrumentsway andway assingpay emthay ownday otay inethay
    offspringway.

Translation from the New Latin:

Do not season thine cast iron with inferior oils, but endeavour to useth thou those holiest of all, thine grease remains of Bacon, or thine lard of pig.

Keepest clean thy pan by removing crusty bits after frying.

Thou shalt not wash thy pans with soap.
    Thou shalt not allow thy pans to rust.
    Tou shalt honor thy father and mother by properly maintaining thy cast iron cooking instruments and passing them down to thine offspring.

*REPORTED*

Top Bottom