what's your average cost per round reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    All good commentary so far.
    I got pissed a year or two back when I could no longer find cheap plinking ammo for IDPA which I shot ~100 rounds at, once a month.
    So, I started with Lee classic turret for a fairly small cost and currently load 124gr jacketed 9mm for just under $7/50, which is about 45% cheaper than I was paying for 115gr federal at Walmart at about $12+tax, back when it was still that price.

Everything will come down to component cost, bullets being the most significant, followed by primers. If you have to pay $35-40 or more per 1k primers, savings won't really be as much. Powder isn't much of a savings unless you buy online in bulk and can add it to a primer order. Find primers for $28/1k and split 50k plus some powder with some buddies, it makes shipping/hazmat cost next to nothing when 3 or 4 guys share that cost, and it's way cheaper than the $40-50 per 1000 primers that I hear people spending.

As was mentioned, if you plan on casting, you can get your cost way down, but there is the time investment and that's a whole other hobby in itself.

Last edited:

wabashman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    My 9mm costs around 10.5 cents using cast 124 grain from MBC. If I use Xtreme plated 124 grain plated, then it bumps it up to around 11.2 cents per round.

Last time I checked my 223 was down around 23-25 cents a round with Xtreme's 224.

However, after just purchasing a LnL and some accessories for it, one might say my costs are much higher. But at least I'm done buying pistol/rifle presses for many years.

Top Bottom