• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I've never seen a place other than Indy where I feel everybody HAS to get in front of you, rather than staying behind you.

This morning for work I was on 146, and this lady starts off behind me. She then slowly makes her way beside me. And then 1/4 mile from my turn, while running side by side, she speeds up, gets in front of me, and SLLOOOOOOWWWWSS down. Leaving about a normal-sized car length between us.

Me, being passive aggressive, and getting fed up with this being a weekly occurrence, I stay that distance. We turn together. We go through 2 roundabouts together, I maintained that distance she left between us. I was concentrating very hard to make sure if she made any sudden movements that I would be able to react in time.

And I believe I had her worried too. She constantly kept checking her re-view mirror.

But what the hell? Why do people do this?

There are 3 rules when passing someone. Is its Safe? Is it Legal? Is it Necessary? She broke 2 of those rules. It was legal. But not safe or necessary.

This happens all the time though. Whats wrong with people in this town? I grew up in rural Illinois, so we never had problems like this. We only had to follow tractors at the most.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I have yet to understand why so many people in Hamilton County drive 5-10 mph BELOW the speed limit. There is nothing worse than getting behind some jackwagon on I-69 doing 55 in the left lane when the signage clearly indicates it's a 65 or 70 mph zone.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I have yet to understand why so many people in Hamilton County drive 5-10 mph BELOW the speed limit. There is nothing worse than getting behind some jackwagon on I-69 doing 55 in the left lane when the signage clearly indicates it's a 65 or 70 mph zone.

Michigan had the problem of people crusing in the left lane on the interstate. After passing someone, if they saw a car a mile ahead, they would stay in that lane. But what Michigan did to make it worse was that everybody did that. So there would be a long train of cars in the left lane. No one would pass on the right side.

I would, but by the time I caught up to the car everybody was waiting to pass in the right lane, I couldn't ever get back into the left lane. It drove me Nuts.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I am with you. I -69 and parts of I-65 drive me crazy. These people do not know how to read that the speed limit has changed from 55 to 65 and they continue to take up the passing lane while passing nobody.

OP, I drive a cargo van through Indy and surrounding areas all day. People see a cargo van and assume I am going to drive slow. I do not. They are always trying to get around me and the times that they do they end up slowing me down. Very aggravating.

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    You think its bad here, try driving in Cincinnati! Noone else but you can be on the road, doing 10 over, and out of nowhere a car will appear. They will rush past you and then slow down and get in front of you. If you move lanes, they will. Speed up and pass they will travel next to you. It's insane!

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    you should have pulled back in front of her and layed down the oil slick ala bond

Would have, but the road we turned onto was single lanes divided by a grassy patch. So no room to pass.

I have however passed someone on an on ramp from them cutting in front of me at the stop light. They didn't have a chance to stay in front of me. On-ramps are my fun-times with my car.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I was cruising up Michigan Rd the other night in my FULLY MARKED police car when someone pulled in behind me from 62nd street. They tailgated me so close that I couldn't see their headlights in my mirror. I gave em a quick blink from the annoyingly bright LED lightbar on top and figured they would get the hint. They did not. I moved over into the left lane and the person then passed me on the right. I was already going about 5 over the posted limit. Now I dont really write tickets just for the sport of doing so but some people just NEED them. I stopped the car and the very first words out of the driver's mouth was "why you ****in harrassing me?" :n00b:

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    I was cruising up Michigan Rd the other night in my FULLY MARKED police car when someone pulled in behind me from 62nd street. They tailgated me so close that I couldn't see their headlights in my mirror. I gave em a quick blink from the annoyingly bright LED lightbar on top and figured they would get the hint. They did not. I moved over into the left lane and the person then passed me on the right. I was already going about 5 over the posted limit. Now I dont really write tickets just for the sport of doing so but some people just NEED them. I stopped the car and the very first words out of the driver's mouth was "why you ****in harrassing me?" :n00b:

WTF?!?!? Some people just ask for trouble lol.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I've never seen a place other than Indy where I feel everybody HAS to get in front of you, rather than staying behind you.

This morning for work I was on 146, and this lady starts off behind me. She then slowly makes her way beside me. And then 1/4 mile from my turn, while running side by side, she speeds up, gets in front of me, and SLLOOOOOOWWWWSS down. Leaving about a normal-sized car length between us.

Me, being passive aggressive, and getting fed up with this being a weekly occurrence, I stay that distance. We turn together. We go through 2 roundabouts together, I maintained that distance she left between us. I was concentrating very hard to make sure if she made any sudden movements that I would be able to react in time.

And I believe I had her worried too. She constantly kept checking her re-view mirror.

But what the hell? Why do people do this?

There are 3 rules when passing someone. Is its Safe? Is it Legal? Is it Necessary? She broke 2 of those rules. It was legal. But not safe or necessary.

This happens all the time though. Whats wrong with people in this town? I grew up in rural Illinois, so we never had problems like this. We only had to follow tractors at the most.

Yep.

Aggravates the crap outa' me. And like I have said before here on INGO..... scares me, that the same people get to vote. :rolleyes:

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I am with you. I -69 and parts of I-65 drive me crazy. These people do not know how to read that the speed limit has changed from 55 to 65 and they continue to take up the passing lane while passing nobody.

OP, I drive a cargo van through Indy and surrounding areas all day. People see a cargo van and assume I am going to drive slow. I do not. They are always trying to get around me and the times that they do they end up slowing me down. Very aggravating.

Double yep! :draw:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Travel more imo ... or just to northern Virginia. Its amazing what some people will do to get 1 or 2 car lengths ahead of where they previously were

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have cars pass my bus every day less then a mile from where traffic court use to be held (still several officers in fully marked cars going up and down the street every few minutes) when I have my red lights on and stop arm out.

People get in the lane that ends right after you cross the intersection just to race the bus to cut it off and slam on the brakes because someone is turning into Pop Guns or the flea market.

One time I was by the old east gate mall with the bus and a person stopped but decided the kids were taking to long getting off so she ran the sign. Guess she didn't look to see who was behind her until about 1/4 mile down the road where she finally pulled over for the sheriff.

Seriously, I would rather drive my bus downtown in the city all day then in or around neighborhoods.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield

Somedays I wish I could just pull people over to tell them what they did wrong. Like the one guy who just about t-boned me from the outside lane of a roundabout. He laid on his horn and flipped me off. I just wanted to go back to him and say, did you look at the Effing lines painted on the road? Your lane could not turn left.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero

...and DESERVE Them.... :) At times, it must be satisfying to know that you've done a "job well done." :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I get tailgaters all day long and I run 5 over just to stay alive.
    My favorite is rolling into an intersection and Nancy nutbag with cell phone to her ear just blows through in a right on red with no stop and not a glance in my direction. I always leave what ever space they allow me and when the realize I am part of their tail lights I get flipped off. Amazing.

Top Bottom