• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HalfCocked

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Maybe this was discussed before, if so sorry to be late to the dance. In today's STAR a report of the veteran in Lafayette who fired a couple of rounds outside a bar. He was charged with carrying without license. The article clearly states he had a handgun. One person at the scene was knocked down from the wadding. I am not a ballistics expert but what handgun cartridges use wadding? (The only ones I know about are some brands of blanks and / or if he was using a Judge and shooting 410 shotgun.) Is there wadding in handgun ammo ? :dunno:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Snake shot for handguns has a plastic capsule, I guess that might be considered wadding. Otherwise, either .410 or a black powder with true wadding...

I cancelled my subscription to the Star. If it happened to them, they'd still get it wrong.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    my only guess is that it could have been a old style pistol (cap and ball or even older flint lock)???? And he loaded it without a projectile and fired it. Thats purely a guess though.

HalfCocked

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    no, that's not exactly the article. It appears on page B2 of today's STAR. Title "Judge acknowledges veteran's struggles" In the fourth paragraph they report: A bystander was struck in the chest by gun wadding from one of the rounds Braman fired. The force knocked the man to the ground.
    Just curious as to what he was shooting and what handgun cartridges have wadding.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I was thinking cartridge case, but "the force" from even the bullet itself won't physically knock you to the ground. Now I'm thinking of hysterical witnesses filtered through Uncle's "layers of editorial oversight".

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, I googled up a few more articles, and they are all a bit different.

Lafayette veteran sentenced to six months of probation | WLFI - Lafayette, Indiana
    Debris ricocheted off the pavement and hit someone nearby in the shoulder.

http://www.jconline.com/article/20121022/NEWS03/310220017/Veteran-Eric-Braman-given-1-year-probation
    A bystander, 31-year-old Andrew Studer of Lafayette, was struck in the chest by gun wadding from one of the rounds Braman fired. The force knocked Studer to the ground.

Bar gunfire nets probation for wounded soldier - SFGate
    One man was wounded by debris.

Judge rejects soldier’s plea deal in shooting - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times
    He pulled out the handgun that morning during an argument outside End Zone Sports Bar & Grill and fired one round in the air and a second round into the ground. Gun wadding and debris struck a passerby, 31-year-old Andrew Studer of Lafayette, in the chest and knocked him to the ground.

So, who knows what really happened. The journalists certainly don't.

HalfCocked

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yes, I guess I didn't expect them to get the facts correct. I was just trying to get educated on wadding in handgun ammo. I had only heard of it in blanks and was pretty sure they would have said if he was shooting blanks. The STAR gets smaller and smaller with less news every day. AND the news they do have never seems to be right......

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Maybe this was discussed before, if so sorry to be late to the dance. In today's STAR a report of the veteran in Lafayette who fired a couple of rounds outside a bar. He was charged with carrying without license. The article clearly states he had a handgun. One person at the scene was knocked down from the wadding. I am not a ballistics expert but what handgun cartridges use wadding? (The only ones I know about are some brands of blanks and / or if he was using a Judge and shooting 410 shotgun.) Is there wadding in handgun ammo ? :dunno:

Or was he firing black powder?

Studer1979

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Hey everyone. Andrew Studer here. I am in fact "that guy." I'm getting old now and this seems like this wasn't that long ago when in fact it was over ten year's ago. The media sucks and if you're registered here you're probably very well aware of that joke. Half of the papers and network's said it was something between him and I in fact when it wasn't. I was in another group of people nearby. It was literally like a scratch and they picked the wrong guy to get up there and tell a horrific and scary story. I support police and military and I've made more than my fair share of bad decisions and mistakes and most every one of them had to do with alcohol. I've been down that road. It was in fact a taurus judge loaded with 410 shells. I met the guy at a restaurant during recess in court. I thanked him for his service, his sacrifice and told him that there wasn't any hard feelings and that I hoped everything worked out for him. I could tell easily and quickly he was just another good ol boy that probably over did it with the drinking atleast occasionally but other than that was solid. I'm glad someone didn't actually get hurt. God bless America we need it right now.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Hey everyone. Andrew Studer here. I am in fact "that guy." I'm getting old now and this seems like this wasn't that long ago when in fact it was over ten year's ago. The media sucks and if you're registered here you're probably very well aware of that joke. Half of the papers and network's said it was something between him and I in fact when it wasn't. I was in another group of people nearby. It was literally like a scratch and they picked the wrong guy to get up there and tell a horrific and scary story. I support police and military and I've made more than my fair share of bad decisions and mistakes and most every one of them had to do with alcohol. I've been down that road. It was in fact a taurus judge loaded with 410 shells. I met the guy at a restaurant during recess in court. I thanked him for his service, his sacrifice and told him that there wasn't any hard feelings and that I hoped everything worked out for him. I could tell easily and quickly he was just another good ol boy that probably over did it with the drinking atleast occasionally but other than that was solid. I'm glad someone didn't actually get hurt. God bless America we need it right now.

Welcome to the forum and glad you were ok.

Top Bottom