• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    I never really hear anything about them, they're expensive, and my brother in law is convinced that they're freaking amazing for some reason (he's never shot one, so I don't know why). Any comments/opinions on them?

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Kimber is the reason why many custom shops stopped producing 1911s. Their price could not be beat for the quality produced.

However, Kimber's quality has become questionable as late.

Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    They are a step above most "good" 1911's not to the point of being custom althought the top models do come very close (depending on your wants)
    They normally have alot of the stuff most people want in an upgraded 1911. they have a enough choices that if you like this or that they probably have a model that fits your style. After Kimbers (and others like them) if you want more improvements you are normally talking big $$$$$. For most shooters they are better then what the human element can do.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Entry level 1911s with some features, and available at your LGS.

Other than that, they suffer from any problems any other brand of 1911 often does.

I have 2, both have required tweaking. Nothing unexpected.

I shoot almost nothing but 200gr hardcast SWC, so some malfunctions are expected unless the seating depth is perfect.

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I like my Kimber. Ive shot over 1k rnds with no issues with ball ammo.

Its picky about HP ammo but with the right ammo mag combo its 100% and more accurate than I am.

Kimber does not just make 1911s. They also make the Solo subcompact 9mm, pepper blasters, and high end production bolt action rifles.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Many years ago before the focus seemed to be on the 1911's they made, they were known for making really nice rifles. Don't know if that's still the case or not. I have always been a Weatherby guy when it came to rifles.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I never really hear anything about them, they're expensive, and my brother in law is convinced that they're freaking amazing for some reason (he's never shot one, so I don't know why). Any comments/opinions on them?

Sorry and please don't take this wrong... He thinks their amazing and he's never shot one. Think i need more coffee this morning to completely understand this statement.

At least he's not giving out advice on reloading a .50 BMG and has never done it i guess.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Sorry and please don't take this wrong... He thinks their amazing and he's never shot one. Think i need more coffee this morning to completely understand this statement.

At least he's not giving out advice on reloading a .50 BMG and has never done it i guess.

I think the f-22 is amazing and I've never flown one. Printcraft thinks women are amazing and he's never... Well, you get the picture.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    And I'm surprised you haven't heard much about them. Their 1911's are very polarizing in online forums.

There are many who have horror stories about poor quality and worse customer service who will never buy them again, and have dedicated their lives to destroying the Kimber name.

And there is a large following that defend them to the death, like they are their own children.

I have had good luck with mine, but don't consider them God's gift...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have owned a couple. The only one I will own are what are now referred to as "series 1" Kimbers or any of the new ones that do not have the "Schwartz safety". (I think the "Desert warrior" and one other are currently made without the "Schwartz Safety" but I could be wrong.

I know many guys that have the "series 2" though and are perfectly happy with them and at the end of the day that is what is important. I think they make a good product and as one gent said they were at one time (not that long ago) a maker offering a gun with custom features and not a custom price. There was an advertising war at one time between Kimber and one of the big custom makers. It seems Kimber was making their frames and slides and ran an ad to the effect of "Why is (insert maker here) selling the same gun we sell for $700 more? Needless to say there was a bit of scrap there. It kind of made Kimber look like a weasel from a business standpoint. I can't remember who the makers was. Maybe Wilson or Les Baer. It seems Kimber was manufacturing frames for other makers at the time.

Top Bottom