What's the best way to sell several guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • old man Bill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have some experience selling household stuff on Craig's and eBay when we moved and had too much c$%p. I absolutely understand that "if it ain't selling your price is too high". I'm doing some research to see what some of the guns are worth in other people's opinion. I also understand that we all believe that our stuff is worth more than it is because of our sentimental involvement. With all of the posts I am convinced to go with INGO for a reasonable period and hopefully find a good home for at least most of them. Again, thanks for the input.
    Bill

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Like several have already stated; they aren't selling because they are not pricing competitively. I have seen used guns posted for higher prices than I can buy the same model for all day long brand new and ammo for several dollars a box more than I can buy it anytime I want.

I would buy a firearm from an Ingoer for a reasonable price, even the same as new in a store, but pay a premium? Not me. I don't know, maybe I just shop a little harder and am a little more patient. After all, Gander Mountain does sell guns...to someone!:)

You can sell a gun in a heartbeat if you price it reasonable. A good deal is when the buyer feels good about what he paid and the seller has no remorse in selling it.

Of course, I have remorse whenever I sell a gun, so that's why I won't sell them anymore. I'll just let them sit in a safe looking pretty. My son will get them some day. But, then again, I don't have very many, either.:)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe (if we can shew away the vultures for a bit) we could give Bill some good advice on smart selling on INGO?

Security?
    iTrader?
    Fair pricing?
    Good communication?

Last edited:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Last year, I helped a widow woman sell her dead husband's guns. I put up two posts in the Classifieds--one in the handguns and one in the long guns.

I listed them with a description/picture/price for each one. That way, I only had to bump the thread once/day. As they sold, I edited the thread noting it. Be warned though, I had to track everything on a spreadsheet to keep up with who offered me what and when. Folks can get a little bent if you bypass them, HA! I don't think I offended anyone in the process.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Security?

Bill, don't do any transactions at your home that you don't have to. Obviously, the safe will have to stay until sold, but the guns can and maybe should be sold separately. I would arrange a meet at an public yet open place. I like big store parking lots in nice neighborhoods. Fast food and convenient store lots work also.

I thoroughly vet anyone I am meeting through iTrader AND their recent posts. Anything seems odd, I wait for another buyer. Some folk's recent posts turn up really interesting stuff. Fussy, dangerous, under age, out of state, etc.

I'm always armed. Some smart sellers never go to a meet alone.

Hope this helps sir.

Last edited:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Bill, don't do any transactions at your home that you don't have to. Obviously, the safe will have to stay until sold, but the guns can and maybe should be sold separately. I would arrange a meet at an public yet open place. I like big store parking lots in nice neighborhoods. Fast food and convenient store lots work also.

I thoroughly vet anyone I am meeting through iTrader AND their recent posts. Anything seems odd, I wait for another buyer. Some folk's recent posts turn up really interesting stuff. Fussy, dangerous, under age, out of state, etc.

I'm always armed. Some smart sellers never go to a meet alone.

Hope this helps sir.

:+1: All good ideas.

I would also add that if you are selling any handguns, that you insist on seeing an Indiana Driver's Licens & LTCH. Cash only, face to face.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Good communication?

Never accept an offer with more that a couple days to wait.
    "I'll take your offer, if I still have the gun when you are available."
    "I'll take your offer, if we can meet tomorrow."

To go along with that:
    "Just so we are clear, you are saying you'll take it as long as it's as advertised? You are not planning on just looking, right?"

"Please bring correct cash and LTCH/drivers license for state/non-criminal verification."

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Bill if you need help with pictures or a place to host them let me know. I have a lot of web space available.
    Dan

old man Bill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I'm working on the photos and the descriptions of the hand guns, spent all day doing that. I only have 7 hand guns to sell including a couple of black powder revolvers. Trying to be reasonable I have gone through several well known gun sights and am almost ready to post this part of my inventory. I appreciate all of the suggestions and advice from those who have gone this way before me. I'll try to get them posted this week. Should I list them separately or as a bunch?
    Bill

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm working on the photos and the descriptions of the hand guns, spent all day doing that. I only have 7 hand guns to sell including a couple of black powder revolvers. Trying to be reasonable I have gone through several well known gun sights and am almost ready to post this part of my inventory. I appreciate all of the suggestions and advice from those who have gone this way before me. I'll try to get them posted this week. Should I list them separately or as a bunch?
    Bill
    You could put them all in one ad if you want to. If you look through the classifieds, you'll see things like "Several Long Guns For Sale", then the ad will usually list them, with pics and prices. As one sells or if you drop the price on one, you just go back in and edit your original post. The only disadvantage I could see to doing this is that the individual guns aren't mentioned in the thread title, so it's possible that someone might not see "the" gun that they've been looking for. If they're like me though, they'll look through the ad to see just what guns you have. :)

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    To the OP, the reason stuff languishes on INGO is due to some of the people here thinking their gun is worth more than they paid for it OR the passage of three years of ownership suggest list price minus $10!:laugh:

This site and other specialty gun sites are awesomely fast and easy and CHEAP IF you put a reasonable price on it! Good luck moving your guns!:yesway:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Bill

Have good clear photos and list them separately.

Also, using the below format listed in the classified rules makes an easy to read ad.
    (I always find long narratives that I have to wade through to get the pertinent facts hard for my old eyes to read)

WHAT:
    DESCRIPTION: (caliber, mags, ammo, scratches, etc)
    PRICE:
    TRADES:

old man Bill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I'm even selling the first shotgun I owned, a gift from my grandfather that was a gift from his father and that is probably unsafe to use. How can I sell it. I am old enough to know that when we hold on to "things" tight enough, we lose our grip on things that really matter. The 10,000 ft view sees that ethereal things are really.....ethereal. Please don't over think what I just said, it's my belief not yours and you can develop yours based on what is truly important to you. If the firearm bequeathed to you is that important, hang on to it for all you're worth. Statistically I have 10 years to live and the material things are losing their grip on me.
    Bill

Top Bottom