What's the best way to sell several guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • old man Bill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have several forearms that I have had for a long time and, since I no longer get out to shoot as often as I used to, I'm thinking I want to sell them and re-purpose the funds. I have hand guns and long guns, both modern and black powder. I've looked in the forums here and see that many of the posts are just the seller bumping up his offering and it makes me think that it will take the rest of my life to get this done if I go that route. What I have in mind is to sell the lot to one buyer, if possible. I have one Marlin that was appraised at $1000 and a couple of shotguns that are worth maybe $25 each. I also have a large top of the line Browning gun safe that is currently housing about 35 of the guns. Anyone have a suggestion as to how to proceed? Thanks for any input.
    Bill

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Sellers are allowed to bump their threads once every 24 hours. You will see no discussion in the threads, it is suppose to be done through PM. Listing the items separately would probably be your best bet.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Lots of gun shops will buy large lots like that. You won't get the best price on any of them (~60% of what they will sell for in the shop), but it'll be done quickly, and you'll have cash in hand.

You could do an auction. Christys auction house on the south side of Indy does gun auctions every few months.

Or you can list them all on consignment at a shop. The money will trickle in, but you'll probably get a bit better price on each of them.

Time, money, and effort. If you want to put in less effort and want it done in less time, expect less money.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Lots of gun shops will buy large lots like that. You won't get the best price on any of them (~60% of what they will sell for in the shop), but it'll be done quickly, and you'll have cash in hand.

You could do an auction. Christys auction house on the south side of Indy does gun auctions every few months.

Or you can list them all on consignment at a shop. The money will trickle in, but you'll probably get a bit better price on each of them.

Time, money, and effort. If you want to put in less effort and want it done in less time, expect less money.

Good advice. As a programmer, we used to tell our customers that wanted a change made to their software (usually ASAP), "Good, fast, cheap. Pick two."

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Where are you located.... and please sell the guns here on the site and give some of INGOers a chance.

You might be surprised at how quickly stuff sells when it is listed at a cheap price.

I'm all about a $25 shotgun!!!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yes, I'd be interested in knowing what those happen to be. I'm looking for a Browning A-5 or Browning A-5 clone for cheap.

Keep dreaming! A $25 Auto-5..... riiiiiggghhttt..... :D

To the OP: Where are you located? Maybe an INGO garage sale of sorts?

The consignment shop (or a gun shop that does consignment) would be your best bet. As posted above, it may take a while for them ALL to sell, but you'll get a decent return for very little work on your part.

Heck, for a percentage (or maybe first pick through your collection) someone on here may help you manage the classified listings, take pictures, set prices, etc.....

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    You could talk to local shops about consigning the guns there but that usually takes a long time and the shop will get a percentage. You could also try to sell them to the shop as an entire collection but you won't get anything near what they are worth or you can try to sell them yourself. Start off by selling the weapons you like the least and sell a few at a time. Slowly move through your collection until you get it to the point where you want to keep the rest or leave them to relatives/friends. There are plenty of ways to dispose of unwanted guns you just need to decide the best method for you. :twocents:

PS; If you want to get rid of them quickly just five them all to me and I'll take good care of them. ;)

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I've looked in the forums here and see that many of the posts are just the seller bumping up his offering and it makes me think that it will take the rest of my life to get this done if I go that route.
    Bill

If you price your firearms to sell, they will sell. If you have to keep bumping your add for weeks, your asking too much, generally.
    :twocents:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I'd bet you'd be surprised how quickly they might go here on INGO if you bother to type them all into one ad and post them here. If priced fairly they will go quickly and you will get more than if you sell them in one lot to a gunshop. You might even find some one here who IS willing to take the while kit and kaboodle, safe included.

old man Bill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Hey, thanks for all the suggestions, this will help. Glad to hear that the "selling and buying" is done by PM. When I looked at the classifieds I thought, ain't none of these getting sold ! I live in Westfield, In and the safe is on a heavy duty pallet. I also have a pallet jack stored that will go with the safe. The safe has an electronic pad for entry and has never failed to work as designed. The safe is forest green metallic and has "carpeting" throughout the interior. It has a 110V outlet inside and a Golden Rod goes with it to control humidity. It weighs nearly 1000 lbs. empty and, when we moved, I moved it myself using the pallet jack and a lift gate truck. Below is a copy and paste post that I am using as a reply for the time being. I will reply to all PMs and will post the guns on here when I have priced them and have taken the needed photos, could be a week or so. I really appreciate the kind offers to help and the suggestions and will do my best to do the honorable thing in all communications and dealings.
    Bill

"Thanks for the reply. I've received several good ideas about the best way to handle this and am giving all of those some thought. I have a spreadsheet with all I want to sell on it and will send it to anyone wanting to seriously give it consideration. Again, thanks, I'll keep the PM and let you know."
    Bill

Top Bottom