What's the best option out there for a lefty who wants an AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    To answer your question, I like the Stag lefties. I do not own one, but have fired one and I liked it. I'm a lefty also.
    **More importantly, I would recommend getting and ambi charging handle, ambi safety, and maybe even an ambi mag release. I would prefer keeping a right-handed AR that's adapted for ambi use. The dust cover flips UP (not down) on the Stags and it's a little odd. IT CAN INTERFERE WITH A WIDE OPTIC that's mounted low (Like an Eotech) -- this may oly be with the first shot starting with a closed dust cover
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzfd_CnAXd0[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZzHuCtOvi0&feature=related[/ame]

Happy hunting.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I am right handed but have to shoot left because I am extremely cross eye dominant. All my guns are standard right hand guns and I dont have a problem. I shoot a lot of rifles, AR's ak's bolts levers what ever. I just get used to it. Another reason I dont get left handed guns are if you ever want to sell them, good luck. All the leftys I know buy right handed for those reasons. Also if SHTF I want to be able to pick up any gun I have to and be able to shoot it, not worry about if it is a lefty.

Seaweed02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    That way he can shoot back at the range!!!

He's shot my ar-15 plenty of times and while I completely agree with you that he should just learn to love the right handed AR's I also have a hard time argueing with his logic. I've shot my rifles from a left handed position many times and it's not my favorite either.

If he is at the range, where there are many people shooting from a line of shooting benches/tables, he will be throwing his brass right back at the guys throwing brass at him!!! You can't beat that. With that in mind I would go for the left handed Stag Arms. I have a Stag Arms Model 4, and they make a Model 4H which is the left handed version of the same full size rifel. It shoots like a dream. Very accurate and just feels right.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'm left-handed with only a passing familiarity with the AR (Basic Training in 1970 and pre-deployment qualification in 2006). The only thing that really bothered me about the AR was the left-side safety, which I was never able to learn to manipulate with my trigger finger. Like most everyone else, I'd recommend your friend buy a normal AR and learn to deal with "brass distraction" (a brass catcher would do the trick - about a $35 option).

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you are focusing on the front sight like you should be you won't even know brass flew past your face. In fact if you are up on the gun I am not sure brass will even really be in your field of vision?

flatoutt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    I am a right handed, left eye dominant person. I shoot both left and right guns (left handed) and dont really see an issue with AR. If he shoots it enough he will get used to the brass in his vision, or any cartridge for that matter. Its fun at the range to shoot a left because people are not used to brass or hulls coming at them from there right side.

RetroWally

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Stag Arms or Rock River Arms. Stag built the first one ever and offer some great options now within the lefty build. Rock River has built a lefty AR and I believe they've done a great job at doing so. Also I think they too offer various build in lefty. The major difference that I know of and may or may not bother you....but on the Stag, the ejection port cover flips upward instead of downward and I have heard some complaints on it hitting the rails or scopes. Again some say they do and others say they don't so jsut check that out. As for Rock River they went ahead and flipped the ejection port cover so that it does flip downward like a righty configuration. Both are good quility although I own a Stag Model 3 (righty configuration), so it just comes down to your personal options and preference as for what the rifles offer. I hope this helps :)

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    I'm a lefty who's also been wanting a left handed AR for awhile now, the brass itself doesn't bother me at all, but I'm sure that it can't be good for my lungs to breath in the gasses, gun powder, lead residue, and whatever else is blasting out of the ejection port. Even when shooting outdoors for extended sessions, I occasionally get an odd feeling in my throat during or after shooting.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'm a lefty who's also been wanting a left handed AR for awhile now, the brass itself doesn't bother me at all, but I'm sure that it can't be good for my lungs to breath in the gasses, gun powder, lead residue, and whatever else is blasting out of the ejection port. Even when shooting outdoors for extended sessions, I occasionally get an odd feeling in my throat during or after shooting.

Nah. That stuff's good for you. It puts hair on your chest. :laugh:

I do know what you are talking about, though. After a long day at the range, it's always fun to blow your nose and see it come out black. But honestly, I don't know that shooting a left handed gun would save you that much from it.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I shoot ambidextrously. Never have been pinged with brass when shooting left handed, and I've been shooting ARs since 1987.

There are many advantages to sticking with the most common set up.

Top Bottom