• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    You will likely get many answers to this question.

I go cheap for plinking with 500 rd packs of Rem Thunderbolt and get CCI High Velocity for when it counts.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The best brand of .22 is the one that shoots the most accurately in my gun and functions reliably. It must also not have any duds. The Remington does not meet any of these criteria.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    For accuracy, I've found nothing better than Eley Match ammunition (for my Anschutz). For sqirrels, coons, rabbits and beer cans, Winchester Xpert Hollow Points.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    What do you think is the best brand of 22LR?
    And where's the best place to get it?

Thanks

I agree it's what the gun likes. Every .22 I own has some ammo it just does not like. So try different rounds, and see what will function well in what rifle or handgun you are shooting.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My rifle loves Federal American Eagle... And not the expensive Aquila I bought hoping for superior accuracy.

My ruger pistol will eat anything that goes into it and fire it all pretty well.

So, as others have said, it all depends upon what YOUR firearm likes.

-J-

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    For all around use and accuracy out of a common and affordable brand I recommend CCI. They have a wonderful selection from CB's, shorts, standard velocity, long rifle, match grade and Hyper-velocity. I shot alot of their shorts and standard velocity(which are just their Green Tag Match that didn't pass QC), and I have a 10/22 that loves their mini-mags.

I shoot just about all brands because only a couple of my rifles like the same thing, but you are guaranteed to see me with Win Wildcat22's, CCI, and Aguila Golden Eagle with about any of my rimfires.;)

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    The 'best' .22LR is the one your particular gun shoots without FAIL. I've had good luck with CCI Minimag, Federal Bulk from Wally World, and Federal Automatch Bulk. Haven't found a need to try anything else.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    The best is relative to many factors of which I can't put them all here

Cheap and reliable in all my .22 = federal 550 bulk pack
    Most precise = Lapua Standard plus (This is the same ammo as wolf match target will not cycle my AR .22 conversion though)
    A compromise leaning more toward accuracy than $ = remington subsonic.

When I was a kid I used to shoot a lot of CCI but haven't bought any for quite some time for some reason. I should pick some up. I had some left over green tag from my former days and it was pretty accurate but I looked at current prices and the Lapua is a much better value and more precise.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Always a compromise between price, reliability & accuracy. That is not to say that more expensive ammunition is automatically more accurate or the match ammo will work better then "plinking" ammo. Every gun different. My opinion the .22 with the best value is: CCI Std Velocity, CCI MiniMag, CCI Velocitor, Federal Automatch. Overall CCI is the way to go, but I do like the AutoMatch. Too bad I can't find it anymore.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    What do you think is the best brand of 22LR?
    And where's the best place to get it?

Thanks
    I think your going to have to refine your question a bit. .22's a re fickle creature. They ae very prone to being picky. Some will shoot superb with commone bulk boxes, others will only shoot the super high end stuff. It all boils down to trying several types of ammo. Luckly 22 ammo is still cheap enough to buy several types to experiment with.

So what are you looking for? Hunting? Plinking? Target shooting?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    :twocents:

best cheap plinking : take your pick, whatever is cheapest

best hunting: CCI velocitor, aguila sniper sub sonic

best high quality: eley match, wolf match

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    My opinion on the best22lr

CCI Mini Mag both solids and HPs.Acurate and reliable in all my 22s. I would be satisfied if all my 22lr were CCI. I'll get what I can, Rem,Win, Federal(next best). I like the Singer, CBLongs also. I keep 1-2K of CCI . :patriot:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    22LRs are like people with stomach problems, they should eat what agrees with them! :D

I find that the Federal bulk packs, CCI Mini Mags and the Aguilla (bright yellow box) work well with what I have. In fact, it was uncanny how much better I shot with the Mexican ammo. Then again, I am Miguel...

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Depends

I prefer to shoot only .22's that have the copper wash coating unless I am shooting for measurable groups or great accuracy. I have stored up a lot of the Federal bulk back since almost all of my Rimfire guns will shoot quite nicely with it. I do keep some Wolf, Winchester and CCI around also.

The one brand I will not shoot in any of my guns is Remington Golden Bullets. Remington uses powder that burns very dirty and causes a rimfire to gum up very quickly.:twocents:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    For accuracy, I've found nothing better than Eley Match ammunition (for my Anschutz). For sqirrels, coons, rabbits and beer cans, Winchester Xpert Hollow Points.

Second the Winchester Xpert, 32gr @1260 fps, took out a swimming muskrat at 110 yards in my buddies pond in the spring with my Savage 64 FVXP.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I keep Remington subsonic, Winchester Super X, and some CCI for accuracy and quiet. For taking game I keep Yellowjackets and Aguila 40 Gr JHP and SOlids. A

Aguila revamped their rimfire factory a few years ago and I think they are a great value compared with the Yellowjackets. See what your individual gun shoots most reliably and tighest with, and stick with that. If you are going to hunt, buy good ammo - having saved 5 cents per round will be scant solace when you lose game.

husker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Hamilton County
    For high accuracy at reasonable cost I like Wolf Match Target. (~10 cents/rd)
    For general use I like CCI MiniMag. (~7 cents/rd)
    Just in case I run out of everything else, I like Federal Bulk Pack. (~3 cents/rd)

Top Bottom