• ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I agree partially

I partially agree...I do not like the quality of the walther 22 but I would recommend the ruger too.
    FAIL. This is not the normal response with Sig Mosquito owners. Most will tell you they are very picky about ammo and not as accurate as most other .22LR pistols. I was an owner and got rid of mine because it just was not reliable.

For semi-auto, I've always heard good things about the Ruger Mark III, the Browning Buckmarks and the Walther P22 (if you can get past how small the gun is).

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    I have a S&W 22A bought it on sale for $200. I buy the bulk federal ammo at walmart. have shot about 2500 rounds throught it with no problems.

Sgt Stoner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Fishers
    Although its the only 22 handgun ive fired.. I love my Beretta Neos!! Very accurate, fun to shoot, and dummy proof on disassembly and cleaning.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have the same question. Sorta. What's the best .22lr for shooting steel AND WHY?

I like the looks of the S&W 22A and the Beretta NEOS better (yeah, I know I'm the only one) and they are cheaper.

But everyone says "forget that, just get a Ruger or Browning". But they are just so 1900's... ;)

What's so much better about them? Accuracy? Trigger? Speed? Modifications?

Brett244

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    They cost more.. So they have to better right?! HAHA

I have found that the 22a and my dads MKIII bull barrel shoot pretty much the same.. Neither of them fail to eject or fail to shoot, both are dead nuts accurate, neither are picky with the ammo you give them. The Ruger is a bit heavier, but not too heavy to use. I don't really find either guns to be "good" looking. I feel like the MK series have just always been a pretty solid platform, making them a more popular pistol.. But I believe between the 2, it is just what feels better in your had. And, Do you wanna spend $250 or $400. My choice is the 22a every time, its a perfect plinker and at a good price.

EDIT: I do like the ruger iron sights more than the 22a. 22a are bulky and somtimes hard to line up. But a bit of polish will make you some cheap 3-dot sights.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    What is the firearm to be used for? Target? Self defense?? I carry a 22 mag NAA Black widow as a back up. If just for fun a Walther P22 is a great 22 and I would stay away from the Sig's as they are ify with a lot of different ammo's.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Personally, I prefer the Ruger MKIII. Either in 22/45 or the all steel model. Very, very accurate and come with sight rail that doesn't interfere with the sights. Don't let the negative talk about them being a pain to strip down, after you do it a couple of times they are a snap!!!!

col132

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    I hate to comment on "the best" of anything, but if I could only pick on 22 cal then it would be a 5 1/2 bull barrel Ruger.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I would avoid the Sig Mosquito or the P22...having had the P22, that would not run at all and knowing 3 people that had the Sig, that was not reliable at all, I would stick to the Ruger 22/45 or the MkIII's.

I had both and both are accurate and reliable.

Now my personal pick would be a S&W Model 17, K22.
    IMG_1614.jpg

I absolutely love mine.

silkpoet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    SW Indiana
    What are you using it for would be my first question. Carry, plinking, target shooting? There are an enormous variety to choose from for each of those categories.

Top Bottom