What's so great about Kempf's LCT press kit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I often read of people touting Kempf's as being "the" place to buy a Lee Classic Turret press kit. I totalled up all of the pieces they list in their kit over on Midway and it was only $10 more, at Midway there are no sales taxes and I'd have to pay shipping at either one. With Midway's frequent coupons it could probably be bought cheaper from them. I'm all for supporting local business ( and sponsors) which is why I will likely buy mine through Aszerigan, especially since he has often offered to meet Midway's prices.

Does Kempf's kit offer other things not listed? They say it has everything needed to start reloading, but there are several items I don't see mentioned (powder scale, shell holder, go no-go gauges, calipers, primer pocket cleaning tool, trimmer, deburring tool, and probably a few other things I'm missing). Are any of these included but not listed? I'm fairly convinced that the Lee Classic Turret is the one for me, but I'm not persuaded that Kempf's is the place to buy it. Am I missing something?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Uh - i have no idea what you're talking about with Kempf's kits. That guy won't get a dime of my money based on the reports of how he treats customers.

If you're going to get a Lee kit, get a Lee kit.

EDIT:

Found what Kempf is selling. Basically a press, set of dies, priming system, and some ammo boxes. Not a complete kit - and a rip off if you ask me.

Buy a Lee press kit, order the dies you need (any brand you want) and get a set of digital calipers from the hardware store. Problem solved.

Last edited:

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I went with my boss one time as he buys from him. He warned me he was a but of a crusty ole' bastard but I was surprised at the downright rudeness he exhibited. As I'm getting into reloading myself I won't be going there for anything. I work with at least 1 other person who has reached the same decision on their own.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Ahhhh the lovely Mr Kempf!!!!

The reason I refuse to join Michigan City Gun Club. Too bad too because it is a beautiful place. Any Ahole who believes that nobody needs those stupid plastic rifles(ARs) will never see another dime of my money. As soon as the old folks over at the club realize the club will not make it into the next decade without new blood maybe they dump him and grow in membership instead of watching its ranks shrink as members die off.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Yea, he is a crusty old bastard and if it was me, I would find a convienent gun show or order from maybe Natchez or a different local guy.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    They are recommended in at least two threads on the 1st page of this subforum (post #4 of the "Lee Press" thread and post #15 of the "Which press or kit" thread). I know I've seen them recommended many times before too. Sounds like you guys don't care for them though.

As I said though, I will likely go through Aszerigan because he is a sponsor, is closer to me, offers reloading classes, and I've not yet heard a complaint about him.

I was just curious because I've seen them recommended so many times. Anyone have anything nice to say about Kempf's?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Ahhhh the lovely Mr Kempf!!!!

The reason I refuse to join Michigan City Gun Club. Too bad too because it is a beautiful place. Any Ahole who believes that nobody needs those stupid plastic rifles(ARs) will never see another dime of my money. As soon as the old folks over at the club realize the club will not make it into the next decade without new blood maybe they dump him and grow in membership instead of watching its ranks shrink as members die off.

Exactly the same story here...and I live about 30 seconds away from the club too.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    ...snip
    If you're going to get a Lee kit, get a Lee kit.

EDIT:

Found what Kempf is selling. Basically a press, set of dies, priming system, and some ammo boxes. Not a complete kit - and a rip off if you ask me.

Buy a Lee press kit, order the dies you need (any brand you want) and get a set of digital calipers from the hardware store. Problem solved.

The problem is that there is not an official Lee Classic Turret kit. There is a Lee Turret kit, but it comes with the cheaper aluminum press, not the cast iron Classic. I would like to find a kit, even a store kit consisting of a mismatch of several brands, based on the Lee Classic Turret that would have everything needed to get started. Kempf's is the closest I've seen, but it is missing several (not always cheap) pieces.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I find Natchez beats Midway USA prices just about every time.

I usually just use the online guys as a guide and see if the local guy can get close. He doesn't always have to beat them. If he's in the ballpark, he usually gets my money. I use Midway as my primary source because of their massive selection, easy to use website, and their prices are typically representative of what to expect. Kinda like using Bud's to get an idea of what a gun will cost me. I still buy it local.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    If Kemph was 20 dollars higher I'd buy from him as he is local & always has stock
    But with his Grumpy ass attitude he will never get a dime from me again.
    I bought a few things from him when I started 18 years ago but just once!

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    The problem is that there is not an official Lee Classic Turret kit. There is a Lee Turret kit, but it comes with the cheaper aluminum press, not the cast iron Classic. I would like to find a kit, even a store kit consisting of a mismatch of several brands, based on the Lee Classic Turret that would have everything needed to get started. Kempf's is the closest I've seen, but it is missing several (not always cheap) pieces.

If you feel you really need the cast iron "Classic" press, you might be just as well off getting a Challenger or 50th anniversary kit and buying the press separately. I don't have the numbers in front of me but you can do the math.

No one will ever tell you that you won't need a single stage press for "something" - bulk decapping, swaging, etc. I'm about to add a second to my bench after the holidays.

The cast iron presses are being built and sold by Lee because the demand for them exists - not the necessity. There are some super powerful and strong presses out there, but unless you're reloading the 50bmg, they're entirely unnecessary. There are plenty of people resizing monster cartridges on aluminum presses they bought 25 years ago. I resize 7mm Remington Magnum casings with almost zero effort. In reality, if you need that much leverage, you're doing something wrong.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    He's never been caught killing Nuns?

I wouldn't put it past him.

If half of the stories are true, the descriptions in this thread do him FAR more justice than is deserved.

I never miss an opportunity to steer business elsewhere. Go some place where the staff are civil.

I have NEVER heard a good word about him. I've heard people say that for some reason or another his BS was tolerable, but they always admitted he was a jerk (just that for their own motivations it was acceptable). Real peach of a guy, so they say.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Why the Lee and and not the Hornady ACP ?

Do you mean the LNL AP?

Getting a little off topic, but here goes... I have four main reasons behind my choice: cost, flexibility, ease of changeovers, and volume of rounds we shoot.

I hate to admit it, but I am not independently wealthy, so cost is a factor. Although a $10,000 setup will eventually pay for itself, a $300 setup would be ahead $9,700 at the same point. I am fine with spending more money when it is justified, but I am not a fan of overspending where it's not needed.

I am an absolute, total noob to reloading. The Lee Classic Turret has the ability to be used as a single stage press. I think this flexibility will help me with the learning curve and should be useful in load development.

The thought of having each set of dies in its own quick change bushing appeals to me. I know other presses offer this, but I don't know of many others that also can be used as a single stage too.

Finally, neither my wife nor I do any form of competition shooting. I am trying to get us to the point where we shoot a minimum of 50 rounds each per handgun per week. We will be buying our 2nd handgun soon. Even then, we will likely be shooting only 200 rounds per week. I don't see us needing a true progressive any time soon.

I'm open to finding a press that is a better fit for me, but I haven't found one yet.

M2A2

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Jasper county
    I have been in there a few times.. His daughter is very nice.. He is not.. period.. Brought the wife and kids in once. He was happy to see the kids. This post cracks me up!

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i went there a couple times maybe 20 years ago, and he was ok. just moved back to indiana this last year and stopped in and yea he's grumpy............
    he seemed a little pricey to me also, and didnt seem like he cared if he sold anything?

jake

Top Bottom