• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I just got my first bailout bag and I'm ready to load it up. I'm sure I'm missing something so I thought I'd ask what everyone else had in theirs. The one I purchased is the LAPG bailout bag. Not huge but it's already starting to get heavy. I'll start...

AMK First Aid 2.0
    4 diapers (2 year old)
    Diaper wipes
    6-30 round AR mags
    XDm9
    4-19 round 9mm mags
    50 round box of 9mm Critical Duty
    2 bottles of water
    4 granola bars
    5.11 ATAC L2 flashlight
    S&W M&P knife
    knife sharpener
    2 Bic pens
    One pair non-tinted safety glasses
    One pair tinted Revision shooting glasses
    5 pair ear plugs
    M-Pro7 gun lube
    1 pair Castle leather/kevlar gloves
    Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster

bigerik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    jefferson county
    You need much more water and food.

I use a army ruck sack and lbe. In the ruck is everthing i need to carry on operations if need be for 3-5 days. Water food bedding tarp nitevission bino's spare batterys weapons cleaning kits first aid kit water pur tabs boxed ammo. Instant coffie jurky n dried friut or trail mix. I outfit my gear just as if lm going on a longrange recon mission. My pack is heavier than others might like but ill have what i need.
    Figure on no less than one gal of water per day if your not moving much and 1.5-2 gal per day if your on the move a lot. Don't forget personal hygene items and foot powder plenty of camo sticks and woodland bdu's. Prepare for combat type stuff. Take some star mints along wirh you. When ur on the trail getting a bit tired pop on in your mouth and drink some water...has the feeling ur drinking ice cold water. Very refreshing!on my lbe I've got my compass ranger beads small maglite gerber multi tool 6 ar mags loaded 2 quarts of water field knife camo sticks firstaid kit butt pack has one meal poncho n liner. The ruck will be dropped and hidden once i find a place i want to work out of n then go lighter for patroling. Then you need to work on resupply or getting some where safe.

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    That is a really good starting point. I am still building mine. Main things are a good sharp knife, something to make fire with, some food, change of clothes or at least socks if possible to start.

Even if someone thinks they dont have much in their bag. A bag with a hunting/survival knife, firestarter, a couple mre or mountain house pouches is probably more than 90% of the population will think to have.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I outfit my gear just as if lm going on a longrange recon mission... Prepare for combat type stuff... The ruck will be dropped and hidden once i find a place i want to work out of n then go lighter for patroling.

That is fine if that is your purpose, but you aren't likely to actually NEED anything like that in reality. I think it boils down to what you want to be prepared for, a Red Dawn invasion or a natural disaster type scenario.

Personally I will be preparing more for what is likely to happen to cause me to leave my home and seek other shelter (like a hotel, lol). Floods, fire, earthquake, tornado. On the far end of likely scenarios could be looting/rioting but Evansville does not take long to get away from and I doubt I would be expending hundreds of rounds shooting my way out.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Yeah, it looks like too much gun stuff and too little practical stuff. Can you start a fire or purify water? What about communication? Mirror/whistle for signaling? Perhaps a radio with SAME weather capability? Map & compass? Some energy source for your electronics?

Your bag's content depends on what bailout situations you are preparing for. For most situations, I wouldn't bailout. For some, I might keep just one gun and some ammo. For others, I might not even take a firearm.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have gear for 72 hrs of survival in the BOB bags. 2 people..2 bags with the heavy gear in my bag. Mainly cloths blankets in the wifes. Ammo and such is in a separate fanny style pack.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Start with the Ten Essentials from the Boy Scout Handbook:

•Pocket knife (e.g. Swiss Army knife)
    •First aid kit
    •Extra clothing to match the weather (this is Indiana, dress in layers or die).
    •Rain gear.
    •Flashlight.
    •Food (you can survive for weeks without food but you won't like it).
    •Water (more important than food, Camelbak, water purifier, something in which to boil water).
    •Fire (Matches or firestarter)
    •Sun protection (sunblock, sunglasses, lip balm and a wide-brimmed hat) and insect repellant (bugs will be the first thing to attack you).
    •Map and compass (GPS is great as long as batteries work).

Last edited:

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    The primary purpose of my bag is to get myself (and whoever happens to be with me), back home. 95% of my driving keeps me with an hours drive or a days walk. The bag goes in the car when headed out along with one of the ARs. This is only large enough to be a 24 hour pack at best.

Last edited:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The primary purpose of my bag is to get myself (and whoever happens to be with me), back home. 95% of my driving keeps me with an hours drive or a days walk. The bag goes in the car when headed out along with one of the ARs. This is only large enough to be a 24 hour pack at best.

Most people call those "get home bags" since they have a decidedly different purposes as Coserman alluded to in a previous post Lmao!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My get home bag is limited in scope and seasonal. My bug out stuff is in action packers loaded and ready to put in truck/car.

when I was younger my bail out bag would have contained enough cash to bail me out of jail.

bigerik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    jefferson county
    Well i might be leaning toward the red dawn side for most of y'all but thiers no real need for me to bail out unless social order total breaks down or they go to round up folks for reeducation at fema camps. Im a good to go former Army Ranger.

I've served in Lrrs-d for several years. If im running the woods locally here in my home area i need no map or compass as i know this area very well. If i find the need i got them. Commo ive got a smart phone with aps for nav radios ham and others ect. I did this for a living hunting bad guys boys I'm good to go for what my needs would be. Im not a civilian rookie.

But everyone has different ideas on what they think they need. Im going on mine and taking many things into account hoping to never use it. Ur mileage will vary.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Well i might be leaning toward the red dawn side for most of y'all but thiers no real need for me to bail out unless social order total breaks down or they go to round up folks for reeducation at fema camps. Im a good to go former Army Ranger.

I've served in Lrrs-d for several years. If im running the woods locally here in my home area i need no map or compass as i know this area very well. If i find the need i got them. Commo ive got a smart phone with aps for nav radios ham and others ect. I did this for a living hunting bad guys boys I'm good to go for what my needs would be. Im not a civilian rookie.

But everyone has different ideas on what they think they need. Im going on mine and taking many things into account hoping to never use it. Ur mileage will vary.

Ok... Good to know! :yesway:

Mormprepr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    Whiteland
    I would agree with the above, you seem pretty heavy on ammo. I would consider a fire starter, tender, stainless steel water bottle or purification tabs, rain gear, extra non cotton clothing, bug spray, sun screen, cordage, and a good pair of shoes or boots.

Last edited:

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Perhaps my perspective is different than most of everyone elses.
    I look at my bail out bag as an immediate action bag carrying essentials such as a few spare mags, mini-trauma /med kit, water bottle, light sticks, etc... Things to see me through only an hour or two tops of intense life.
    I look at the get home bag and bug out bags as larger and longer term plans.
    For instance the bail out bag for an active shooter or multi car crash incident where stopping the threat and/or helping the wounded.
    Get home bag for the several hour or day hike home.
    And so on.
    My perspective anyway...

Stay safe.

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    I have never tried this, but I have been told a couple tampons in the bag is a good idea. Apparently use can use them with a gunshot victim instead of putting a finger in the wound.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    ^ I can attest to that. Several years ago, I cut my wrist pretty badly at work. One of my female coworkers gave me a pad, and I wrapped it tight with duck tape. Looked stupid, but worked really well and helped tame the stream of blood blowing out of my wrist :thumbsup:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom