• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I have no idea how you guys can carry AND ride a bicycle at the same time.

I've tried it. No thanks. When I ride, I'm hardcore. I don't ride at a steady pace. I ride long and hard. And I do the same when running.

Theres no way I can carry and exercise. I have a pocket knife clipped to my shorts though. But anything other than that, no way.

Have you tried a neck knife, too?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I rode ten miles yesterday on my Trek Gary Fisher Triton. I OC'd wearing a Henry Holster. If I am wearing gym type shorts, I place the firearm in the holster and tuck it into a Maxpedition Versipack and carry (along with other tools).

What's a maxpedition versipack?

Have you tried a neck knife, too?

Nope. I only own pocket folding knives right now.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    What's a maxpedition versipack?

Nope. I only own pocket folding knives right now.

41XBLu2KCHL._AA300_.jpg

maxpedition-jumbo-versapack2.jpg

I've found that a nice neck knife can assist you in having an extra layer of protection when you can't/won't carry a firearm. Everyone gives me :poop: for the murse, but I won't leave home without it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Interesting.

Ya know, Indiana Jones wore a murse. But, sadly, I'm not as cool as he is. I'm pretty close though....

What kind of neck knife do you have?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I actually attached a Fobus holster to the front of my frame... Making it easily accessed, but out of the way at the same time. Looks pretty cool.

Which gun?
    Also, the under the seat bags are good but it will not be a quick draw.
    These two I wouldn't recommend. If you are knocked off your bike you are also knocked away from your sidearm. But saying that, it's better than not carrying. And you are free to do as you choose.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    So I bought a pair from Dunhams until I can get to a bike shop in Indy or somewhere. (any recommendations on a good bike shop?)

You can also check out bike shops in Lafayette. There are a couple of them there. I've open carried in this one twice. Once to get adapters for my sons bike valve stems, and once to get new tubes. They specialize in bmx but will handle just about any bike.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    You can also check out bike shops in Lafayette. There are a couple of them there. I've open carried in this one twice. Once to get adapters for my sons bike valve stems, and once to get new tubes. They specialize in bmx but will handle just about any bike.

Old school is closed. He now works at Hodson's Bay Company (which is a great place). They are a Specialized, Trek, and Giant Dealer.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Old school is closed. He now works at Hodson's Bay Company (which is a great place). They are a Specialized, Trek, and Giant Dealer.
    Bummer that they went out of business. It seemed to me to be a good shop, but a bit small. I was going to take my sons bike in for a tune up and new tubes and tires in a month or two. Thanks for the heads up.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Matthews is good over on the east side on Pendleton Pike. A1 on the west side. If you have an idea what you want or size check out Performance, their rewards program can be decent if you hit it right. Last time I was in BGI's new store I was in there for over 20 minutes and no less than 5 employees walked by me and didn't say so much as "get the eff out" or even hi.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Matthews is good over on the east side on Pendleton Pike. A1 on the west side. If you have an idea what you want or size check out Performance, their rewards program can be decent if you hit it right. Last time I was in BGI's new store I was in there for over 20 minutes and no less than 5 employees walked by me and didn't say so much as "get the eff out" or even hi.
    I usually dont have that issue but I go to the south store and pretty much know all the staff in it. Heck the door is usually open by the time I get to it. Its the better of the 3 bgis and usually will have a better sale as well. The service is cheaper and faster as well it seems as well. Its at the intersection of county line and emerson in greenwood.
    Now I like the preformance in greenwood better as well as they do have a bigger sale section and alot better selection as well when compared to the north store.

Now I also ride very seriously when cycling but have been thinking about this as well. I was thinking OC but that seems to cause issues with the sheeple. Now I do carry a camelbak but thats not a easy entry and i have to undo 4 straps and the maxpedition bags are too big for my body size.

I have been wondering about the shoulder holster and have a few questions?

Does the gun get salt buildup?
    Can you wear a backpack while carrying?
    Does it bounce at all?
    being skinny and wearing a semi-tighter shirt does it print easily?

Now I have easy access to it as my shirt is usually unzipped enough to shove a arm in to grab the gun

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Mount the gun to your handlebars, preferably on a swivel/turrent for point and shoot operations...
    Bicycle-Gun-3336.jpg

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'm not a serious bicyclist, so when I'm riding, I carry IWB in a pair of cargo shorts. Spare mags in thigh pocket, LTCH, phone, keys on my belt. If your pistol or knife can't stand a soaking in sweat or rain, you need to get a better one.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Get a proper fanny-pack, but ...

... wear it in front. Get a good leather one. It's too easy for someone to get behind you and take your weapon. It also can be easily slipped over the handle-bars if needs be. If you anticipate any running / jogging with it on, add some Velcro patches to secure it.
    Which gun?

Do you wear a cycling jersey with back pockets? If so, you can attach a good pocket holster in it for a small gun (CW9, SW642, etc).

You can try a fanny pack?

Also, the under the seat bags are good but it will not be a quick draw.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have found fanny pack holsters are good except if you ride hard I don't like the perspiration condensing on the pistol inside the holster. Same problem carrying in a camelback. Fanny pack modified to eliminate waist straps and Velcro straps to bars/frame not bad but reach is awkward. A frame bag just behind the bars seems like a good solution. Or modify the fanny pack holster for frame mounting to top bar just behind handle bars, my wife sews I think I will try this. Pics later.

Top Bottom