• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    This - Ruger Mark III or Ruger Mark 22/45.

End of conversation.

and this - Just go to Youtube to learn how to reassemble it if you go this route.

our 22/45 does take some some effort and a sharp eye to strip and reassemble but you will be rewarded with trouble free shooting experience we typically clean ours after every brick through it........ 5.5" target barrel shes heavy and dead nuts on

my wife loves her LCR in 22lr once you learn the trigger curve it will shoot very tight groups good luck

Dan T

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have a 10 inch MKII that I love. A bit to learn the takedown /reassemble but it's not bad. I love the weight of the 10 inch target. 53 oz. To bad the don't make them anymore. But if you can find a used one, give it a feel.

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Depending on how you plan to use the handgun, you really should consider the Bersa Thunder 22. I have been really impressed with mine and the price is definitely right. Nowhere else will you find a gun so similar both externally AND internally to its full caliber brother.

TR1032

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Johnson County
    Ruger 22/45 or SR22. Had good luck with both. The SR22 is definitely easier to disassemble and reassemble, but with some practice and patience the 22/45 isn't really that difficult either.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    For the dollar spent, either the Buckmark or Ruger MK III. The buckmark is easier to clean and deal with jams but I really like my last MK III, I would estimate that thing ate around 25K rounds.

gklatv

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    ...and basically play around with when we go out and shoot with friends.
    Ruger SR22 gets my vote for quoted purpose. Comes with 2 mags.
    And as others mentioned, revolvers are great, too. S&W Model 17 or 18 should be good for targets.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    If you want a pure target/hunting/plinking pistol:

S&W 41 (or 22)
    Browning Buck Mark
    Ruger Mark II or III (incl. 22/45)
    Beretta Neos

If you want something that is similar to a carry gun for training in addition to plinking:

Ruger SR22
    S&W M&P 22
    Walther P22 (some people swear by them, some swear at them)

Good luck!

Everyone has their favorites, but YOUR favorite is what counts. It starts with your intended use. This post by houghmade sorta speaks volumes.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    But if you can find a used one, give it a feel.

I have a 10 inch MKII that I love. A bit to learn the takedown /reassemble but it's not bad. I love the weight of the 10 inch target. 53 oz. To bad the don't make them anymore. But if you can find a used one, give it a feel.

Tank, we're still talking about .22 handguns?? Right??..Bill.

g3man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Walther P-22 gets my vote for overall. Threaded barrel, compact, reasonably accurate. I also have a Beretta Tomcat, Ruger Single Six convertable, and a 50s Ruger Mk 1. All work well and I love them. Beretta is my favorite one to carry.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Lots of good ideas here. The Browning, Smith 22, walther, Ruger, all good. I like my sig 229 classic. Same lower runs a .40, .357 sig, or 9mm upper with a thirty second change. Gives me trigger time on my favorite platform for cheapo moola.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Ruger MKIII Hunter... the best of the MK II with great new features like fiber optic sights, easy to scope and a real mag release on the side vs. heel of grip.

6" is a good size, weight and very accurate.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    +1 for the MK II, the take down and reassembly really isnt that bad after you do it a few times. I've had one for 4 yrs and love it. Also in the revolver field, the Ruger Single-six is built like a tank, but if you can afford it the S&W 617 is in my opinion, one of the best all around .22 revolvers out there as far as reliability and accuracy go.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I love my S&W 22A. It's uglier than sin, but then again I think that's part of what I like about it. It may not be quite as high-quality as the Ruger or Buckmark, but the price on the 22A is pretty reasonable. I think all of the guns mentioned in here are respectable choices, IMHO.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    My wife absolutely loves the SP-101 in .22lr that I bought for her (though the picked it out) a year ago. We did put a 10# main spring in it (she's a wimp and had a hard time pulling the hammer back after 50 or so rounds) and she's not had any problems since. My opinion, I love this little gun myself, it's accurate and who does't love a wheel gun.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    +1 for the MK II, the take down and reassembly really isnt that bad after you do it a few times. I've had one for 4 yrs and love it. Also in the revolver field, the Ruger Single-six is built like a tank, but if you can afford it the S&W 617 is in my opinion, one of the best all around .22 revolvers out there as far as reliability and accuracy go.

+1.

Top Bottom