• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Actually under those conditions jeans are a poor choice. Balancing the need for resistance to scrapes/abrasions versus the fact that waterlogged jeans drastically slow movement.

But good boots and a backpack for sure.

That and the fact wet jeans would help bring your core temp down causing hypothermia.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    The people of the South have an ingrained mantality that they survived ______________ (fill in Named Storm/Hurricane) and they didn't evac then so that's why they didn't this time. Katrina's harsh lessons are being ignored at peoples' great peril. The feds need to solve this situation by forcing extreme building codes and exhorbitant insurance costs by the people living there and stop subsidizing their losses from those of us who live in more normal situations. All of the gulf coast should be turned into one big multi-state National Park. Or all the people living there should not get a fed bailout!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    But that would be the media making itself the story, and they never do that. It would be unethical.

Yeah, I know. Just saying.

As to long pants etc. I would be totally dressed and ready for this situation especially if I lived in this region. Epic fail. Put down the phone, shut off the video games, get off your A$$ and get ready for the storm you already know is coming.............Wow, just Wow

If anyone wonders why this country is sliding down the tube this is a good example. No knock on the kids as they are doing as trained. That is the whole point of this thread yes....doing as trained. Far too many sheeple and this is only a small example of the results. I am sad for those two teens. I am a bit pi$$ed at the parents.

Last edited:

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    The cans do not appear full. I know I can't carry 2 gas cans in one hand in that manner for more than about 15 seconds.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    The second picture makes me cry.

The first does not bring any pity.

I am with you there...the only thing that makes me feel better about the second pic is that eventually the naked little girl whose name is Phuc was rescued by the reporter who took this picture given medical treatment only because he was with the press and grew up to be wife and mother who now lives in Canada.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    I'm sorry ,but you "non bugging out in pants folks" are ate up. I hope you're being sarcastic.

Not against pants for bugging out but against jeans in those conditions. Pants should be made of a "wicking" material that won't hold moisture like jeans do.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Not against pants for bugging out but against jeans in those conditions. Pants should be made of a "wicking" material that won't hold moisture like jeans do.
    While I agree with the fabric performance, what do you suggest. Most of the pants I have are cotton or dress pants. I am trying to upgrade some gear I have when I can, but What would you suggest (brand type) ...and oh yeah, money does not grow on trees in my neighborhood. Thanks!

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    While I agree with the fabric performance, what do you suggest. Most of the pants I have are cotton or dress pants. I am trying to upgrade some gear I have when I can, but What would you suggest (brand type) ...and oh yeah, money does not grow on trees in my neighborhood. Thanks!

Well for this type of situation I would suggest "athletic pants" made of a Polyester/Nylon mix that are LINED. The ones I have, I picked up at Dollar General for $10 each. They worked great during a Water Ball tournament I was reffing.

http://youtu.be/WAPmxC-vrgU

After 4 hours of this I was decently dry for the most part. My feet were soaked because of the type of shoes I was wearing.

Far as winter time/below freezing temps, I'd try to find something with a high percent wool blend.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    The people of the South have an ingrained mantality that they survived ______________ (fill in Named Storm/Hurricane) and they didn't evac then so that's why they didn't this time. Katrina's harsh lessons are being ignored at peoples' great peril. The feds need to solve this situation by forcing extreme building codes and exhorbitant insurance costs by the people living there and stop subsidizing their losses from those of us who live in more normal situations. All of the gulf coast should be turned into one big multi-state National Park. Or all the people living there should not get a fed bailout!

Yep. If I get a DUI, my car insurance goes up. I smoked, so my life insurance went up. They live in a high risk place, yet their home insurance is subsidized by Uncle Sam.

Live where you like, do what you want, but be ready to pay the price. Too bad that doesn't apply anymore.

Top Bottom