• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Other than just plain ignorence I have no clue! that is why for pure giggles I thought I would just open this up to you guys here just to make shure I wasent the clueless one.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    am i the only person who has sold a second gen g17 for $300 on here?
    Yes, used go for $750 or higher because they are "classics" and proven reliable, while crappy new guns will sell for much lower.

As posted already, Pawn Stars has this same conversation on every episode. People want all the reward without doing any of the work or taking ay of the risks involved.

Give me your stuff, your cash and your profit margin and I will go about my business. That is the concept that got Obama elected.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Sorry, the MartinsTucky types, as stated earlier. AAC was in Mooresville, but we still got quite a few Martinsville folks that came in. While a many were good folks and awesome customers (one bought a Browning Silver Hunter to pass on to his kids, let me handle it, what a piece of weapon! :) ), quite a few that claimed Martinstucky origin or their ID said Martinsville were problematic. Folks who complained because I would not give them a trade in value over the phone? 9/10 Martinsville. Man who threatened me because we did not carry and would not send .32-20 ammo via USPS to him (and stated that he would send money upon reciept of ammo)? Martinsville. People getting mad because I would not trade even a new shotgun/AK for their rusted (literally rusted) shut single shot? Martinsville. 7/10 (and I kept a tally sheet) of folks that used the "n-word" more than 3 times in conversations regarding firearms or sources of their life issues? Martinsville. 90% of all Taurus Judge sales? Martinsville. :D

It became a running tally I would record for the amusement of management and other workers. We loved our customers if they were customers, not nuicances!

As stated, I have met many good Martinsville folks. But I think quite a few in that town give the rest a bad name... :D

Granted the experiences at that shop were offset by Mooresville and Indy types, but Martinsville was particularly problematic... :D I happen to be a proud Avonian, "we woul' whoop up on anys of youse dem dare Martinsvulle types!" :D :D

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Yes, used go for $750 or higher because they are "classics" and proven reliable, while crappy new guns will sell for much lower.

As posted already, Pawn Stars has this same conversation on every episode. People want all the reward without doing any of the work or taking ay of the risks involved.

Give me your stuff, your cash and your profit margin and I will go about my business. That is the concept that got Obama elected.

Damn, I got screwed then:rolleyes:

The guy did give me $330 for it, 3 mags, glock bag, and some ammo.....I was happy. It bought the tires on my car.....:D

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    People need to look at guns more like cars. If you are going to trade the "old one" in for a new one, you are going to take a hit. You are also going to take a hit as soon as it leaves the dealership. It is no longer "new".

People realize that when selling a car, they are going to get more out of it if they sell it private then take that money and put it down on a new one. However, they do not seem to mind as much when it comes to taking the hit at the dealer.

The problem with guns, is that everyone thinks that their gun is "special". It only has X rounds through it, I had this done to it, It was a safe queen, blah blah blah. It does not change anything. You are not getting any more out of it for any of that. If you want top dollar, sell it your own. If you want the gun I am selling, pony up the cash or a more realistic trade.

THE END.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Kick has some excellent points:

Round count does play a role in the value of the gun but only in regards to FTF transactions, not taking it into the shop. After about round 50, it ceases to maintain it's LNIB condition for FTF transactions.

Once you take the gun out of the shop, it's used, plain and simple. You can take it home, not fire one round out of it, then take it back to the shop and not get your money back, pure and simple.

Your gold is garbage and my garbage is gold seems to be the thing dujour amoung many of the customers that came into the shop I worked at. Their old police trade in gun magically had more value because it was "a police weapon" or their grandfather's old beat to crap shotgun was magically more valuable because their grandfather was "a good man" (hand of god, I had someone say that...).

Business is business: You have to be cordial and patient with the customer, but remind them of the reality of the situation, harsh or not. As the dealer, we wanted the sale, but don't have time to put up with gibberish. The door swings both ways in regards to gun shops: You can go out that door and deprive me of a sale, but then again, I have no obligation to give you a sale that requires me to take a hit (as it is) with trading...

In the Indy area, you have 4-5 shops you can take your trade around to. As a shop, they have THOUSANDS of customers to sell to. House is stacked against you so don't waste the dealer's time! :D

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I have worked in a gun shop so I know the routine but a shop to remain unnamed offered me $250 for a Glock 21 w/ 4 mags, box and accessories. I had only been in there a few times and I wanted to see how they dealed. (near work and I just started there)

They had another used G21 for $509 IIRCC so I thought that was definately a low trade value for mine, claimed there were lots of police trade-ins, if so why was his used gun at that price? I dont mind shops making money, just not the whole days salary from me !!! ;)

I drove by PSS on the way home and 'ol Bob gave me $425.00 and a guy there bought the extra mags for $40.00. A member here bought the pistol at the 1500 a week later and paid $499.00.... this was after I had it listed here for $450.00 w/ extra mags....:dunno:

Lesson learned, I peruse the shop occassionally looking at the used stuff but they are extrememly higher on ammo and new firearms.

Everyone knows to sell outright but I believe shops that act like Dons should be treated like Dons as well... and I realize they have the right to sell at whatever profit level they choose, but then more of us need to exercise our right to walk away and keep the masses informed on the forums.

My :twocents:,

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Here in Martinsville,some of us do not learn our morals,manner of speech,or our shooting form from Hollywood productions.Head shots on gray squirrels are common,and much of our protein comes from the forest.We raise and can our vegetables,teach our children the Bible,and collect quality firearms.Per Capita,we have our share of fools and racists,but our level of education is on par,or greater than some counties around.....Come spend some time in beautiful Martinsville!

Indianajeff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Indiana
    Why the hell would you trade at a gun store and lose a ton of money than sell it on boards like we have here and get the true value out of the gun.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Why the hell would you trade at a gun store and lose a ton of money than sell it on boards like we have here and get the true value out of the gun.

Mostly the "I have to have it now" instant gratification drive some folks have. Probably the main way stores make their money is the "impulse" buy.

I sold more Judges with a "c'mon, you know you want it" than actual salesmanship... :( :noway: If it's hyped up in articles or the latest greatest thing, you would be suprised how crazy people would get. I had a guy trade in about 3 pistols (all very nice Smiths) for one Judge due to trade in values being low. LNIB heavy barreled 10s, WITH boxes, but couldn't give him a ton, store policy. I ended up buying one from him because he was hellbent on getting that damned Taurus. :( (The Judge was the gun to have at the time...) Really sad when a guy is willling to give up his GRANDFATHER's heirlooms for ONE Taurus. He got a quarter of what those guns were worth (except the one I bought personally from him, and only half value with that one...), couldn't convince him otherwise. Plus side is, I now have an heirloom piece I would not trade for such junk!

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    You buy a gun , car , boat , anything new the second you walk out the door, pull off the lot whatever , it is USED .

If you buy a gun for $1000 and take it home , even if you don't take it out of the box , and bring it back the next day .
    The retailer is going to offer you $600 for it because its a used gun.

You buy a car brand new for $10,000 , you drive off the lot around the block and pull back in to try to sell it back or trade it in , the dealer is going to offer you $ 6,000 .because its a used Car .

If you "Upgraded" it with new springs or grips or whatever ,
    you have a used gun that is no longer original so now he is not going to offer you $600 , he is going to offer you $500 , WHY because its not in original condition and he has to find someone who wants one with the ":UPGRADES " you made to it ..:ingo::patriot::twocents:

Not saying its rigth or wrong , it is just the way it is ..

Indianajeff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Indiana
    Mostly the "I have to have it now" instant gratification drive some folks have. Probably the main way stores make their money is the "impulse" buy.

I sold more Judges with a "c'mon, you know you want it" than actual salesmanship... :( :noway: If it's hyped up in articles or the latest greatest thing, you would be suprised how crazy people would get. I had a guy trade in about 3 pistols (all very nice Smiths) for one Judge due to trade in values being low. LNIB heavy barreled 10s, WITH boxes, but couldn't give him a ton, store policy. I ended up buying one from him because he was hellbent on getting that damned Taurus. :( (The Judge was the gun to have at the time...) Really sad when a guy is willling to give up his GRANDFATHER's heirlooms for ONE Taurus. He got a quarter of what those guns were worth (except the one I bought personally from him, and only half value with that one...), couldn't convince him otherwise. Plus side is, I now have an heirloom piece I would not trade for such junk!

That's a shame.....but.....NICE score:rockwoot:

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Sorry, the MartinsTucky types, as stated earlier. AAC was in Mooresville, but we still got quite a few Martinsville folks that came in. While a many were good folks and awesome customers (one bought a Browning Silver Hunter to pass on to his kids, let me handle it, what a piece of weapon! :) ), quite a few that claimed Martinstucky origin or their ID said Martinsville were problematic. Folks who complained because I would not give them a trade in value over the phone? 9/10 Martinsville. Man who threatened me because we did not carry and would not send .32-20 ammo via USPS to him (and stated that he would send money upon reciept of ammo)? Martinsville. People getting mad because I would not trade even a new shotgun/AK for their rusted (literally rusted) shut single shot? Martinsville. 7/10 (and I kept a tally sheet) of folks that used the "n-word" more than 3 times in conversations regarding firearms or sources of their life issues? Martinsville. 90% of all Taurus Judge sales? Martinsville. :D

It became a running tally I would record for the amusement of management and other workers. We loved our customers if they were customers, not nuicances!

As stated, I have met many good Martinsville folks. But I think quite a few in that town give the rest a bad name... :D

Granted the experiences at that shop were offset by Mooresville and Indy types, but Martinsville was particularly problematic... :D I happen to be a proud Avonian, "we woul' whoop up on anys of youse dem dare Martinsvulle types!" :D :D

Did you start there after Jerome changed the locks and fired his whole crew? Im trying to place which guy you were in AAC.

Living in Mooresville and knowing the original AAC counter guy Jerry, I was in there just about every week.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    the guy that had the glock and asked 500 for it was distracting in the fact i was trying to make a deal on a shell holder for the 870. the nerve of some people. :D

Top Bottom