What would you think of a new Assault Weapons Ban?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    I'm not talking about the same exact superficial ban that we had in 94. I'm talking about 10 round limit in rifle magazines, maybe bullet buttons, maybe 10 round limits in EVERY gun. How would this affect you, and how could you argue that you need more than 10 rounds? I'm asking because I know liberals, and ...
    Let them out themselves, especially if it's someone who claims otherwise to be "a strong supporter of the Second Amendment".

As far as the highlighted portion, you can choose based on several factors how you will handle such bleating.
    I've had countless such conversations and without going into exhaustive detail can give a few examples of how it went. You usually only have about three to five seconds (sometimes longer if you can talk fast) to make your point, due to them having the attention span of a small four-legged animal. Even then, they usually become unhinged and keep going in circles, with massive hyperbole, misdirection and some ad hominem thrown in. (Partial excerpt with their comments in red, mine in black for easier reading.)

What does anyone need with <insert here 'more than ten rounds', ___ type of gun, or other item they want banned or restricted for everyone so they can feel good about 'doing something'>.
    It's the Bill of Rights, not the Bill of Needs.

Oh yeah?! Well I suppose you think it's OK for people to be running around with these assault weapons!
    First of all, it helps to know what you're talking about. What are you calling an "assault weapon" (or assault rifle)? Using shock-value hype terms to describe what something looks like, instead of its function, makes you sound ignorant about the subject of arms. By most accounts, the term originated with Hitler himself who, upon the report of the development of a new magazine fed selective-fire rifle for the Wehrmacht, dubbed it the Sturmgewehr - (roughly translated to 'storm rifle'. He liked those fancy, 'tough-sounding' names). Even where the origins are disputed, the term - if it is to be used at all - is recognized by those knowledgeable on the subject to mean a select-fire (that is, capable of both semi and fully automatic fire) rifle or carbine, using as standard equipment a magazine of relatively high capacity (that is, compared to most contemporary designs), and chambered for an intermediate cartridge. As such, they are considered 'machine guns' by the BATF and have been heavily restricted since 1934 and new models banned for purchase by civilians (that's the people, BTW) since 1986. So, your side got its way on that one, and now you want more. I understand that you don't give a damn about details and in your outrage at a criminal act - in this case a mass murder - you want something banned for everyone (except of course, the police and military and possibly others who you might deem acceptable). At any rate, a crime was committed and the suspect is in custody. If the system operates as it should and the evidence against him incontrovertible, he'll be executed, instead of released on parole or housed and fed at taxpayer expense.

Although the type of murder weapon may be of some interest, it is at best of secondary importance and further, mistakenly calling a semiautomatic military style look-alike an 'assault rifle' is a distraction from the issue at hand.

BS! If he hadn't had that <insert "high-capacity" this or that, or "all those bullets"[sic], he wouldn't have been able to kill all those people! You crazy gun nuts and your second amendment! The Founding Fathers could not possibly have imagined such high-powered weapons when they wrote that. Besides, that was a different time and nobody needs such things in the modern world! By your logic, we have to wait until after someone commits a crime to do something. We as a society have a right to feel safe from gun violence!

Strictly speaking, no you don't. Although I'd prefer it be that way, I can't control how you "feel", nor do I have any particular desire to control your thoughts or any other aspect of your life. You apparently do not have the same respect for me. Blaming me, or "society", or anyone (or object) other than the guilty party is at best misplaced aggression and is not appreciated. There are (or used to be) rights, and there are responsibilties. There is crime, and there is punishment. You want to dictate what is necessary to "feel safe" by legislative prohibition or restriction on possession of an object that you find offensive by the people at large, based on what someone might do. Such reactions turn the idea of innocent until proven guilty upside down. Your low regard for provisions in the Bill of Rights that you don't like is obvious. You might choose not to own or carry a particular item, and that is your affair. You might choose to disregard or waive a right once considered most valued by free men, and that, too, is your business, your affair, your problem. You start blaming me for the criminal acts of others and advocating for the infringement of my rights, then we have a problem.

It will also be interesting to see your reaction to proposals or attempts to prohibit or restrict rights that you do actually value.

(Note: At some point in there, they like to go into what I call the "rocket launcher" argument, sometimes throwing in the NBC issue in a further effort to ridicule. It goes something like this ...)

So! I suppose you think people should be able to have rocket launchers, bazookas, RPGs, grenades - hell, why not nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons while we're at it. You're crazy!
    We haven't even come to an agreement on basic infantry small arms - or their definitions - so there is no point in moving along to other items. More importantly, if we cannot agree on what a right is, what it means to have a right, and the critical distinction between a right and a privilege, then there is no point in moving along to issues of crime and punishment.

(On and on it goes ...)
    -----------

Regardless of how - or whether - you choose to approach this subject with friends, relatives, coworkers or any others, at the least it can help folks clarify where along the gun control spectrum they fall.

"Whattaya need with a ..."
    "I don't see what anyone needs with a ..."

It's the Bill of Rights, not the Bill of Needs.

Last edited:

Wreaver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Right over there!
    I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of push before elections but I don't suspect we'll see anything put in place until after the elections. I'd be willing to put money on some kind of magazine capacity restriction at the minimum.

spazzmomma

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    No one has mentioned that Obama is fond of Executive orders.You can bet he is weighing his options with lawyers now as to how to work this one.Whether or not he can do it is another thing.Most military that I know have their own weapons and wont give them up without a fight.Obama flew to Colorado for a photo op and I am surprised he hasnt been on tv yet proclaiming how evil guns are.He doesnt give a crap about the people in Aurora.Photo op and agenda.Thats what its all about to him.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I'm not talking about the same exact superficial ban that we had in 94. I'm talking about 10 round limit in rifle magazines, maybe bullet buttons, maybe 10 round limits in EVERY gun. How would this affect you, and how could you argue that you need more than 10 rounds? I'm asking because I know liberals, and they are going to take this battle to us. Better be prepared with intelligent arguments, or lose our rights...

A killer as methodical as this one would just modify the gun or learn to switch mags as fast as Travis Haley in that redimag bad lever video. Oh great, I just gave the hoplophobes ideas for banning more things.

Heck, if people are only ducking and running he could do just as much damage with a musket loader.

dwickstrom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Mishawaka
    GODDAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clip_vs_mag1.jpg

Thank can't stand when people call them clips. :+1:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I think so too. It has now become the burden of the firearms industry to prove that his AR-15 was not more deadly because it carries 30 rounds. Dems will say, "Why do you need 30 rounds to target practice or hunt with? More people would be alive today if that gun only shot 10 rounds." It is a tough argument to counter in these times. At the least they will get some type of ban in Colorado, at its worst, at the federal level.

But I agree with most that Obama won't do it before the election. I also agree that Romney might follow through with it, unfortunately. But I'm still voting for Romney, because it is always Democrats that come up with these laws, and he can help the economy. It's probably by by hicaps.
    Three 10 rd mags taped together are very nearly as fast as one 30. It's not a tough argument at all to counter. 99.9 percent of the legal gun owners commit none of the gun crime in this country. Why would you limit the sheepdogs of society to one tooth? Just because one evil ba$tard does something evil you shouldn't outlaw the tools the good guys use. THE BAD GUYS DON"T CARE ABOUT THE LAW! The only people you'd disarm with the law are the ones you WANT TO BE ARMED.
    :draw::draw::draw::draw::draw::draw::draw:
    How about the thought that one guy in the front row with some situational awareness and a .40 cal Sig would have stopped this ********* after two or three shots..:ar15:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom