• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Recently, one of my friends was sitting in his apartment on campus and out of no where someone walked in and grabbed his Ipod and started to walk out. My friend said "HEY! what are you doing thats my ipod." So the guy turned around and punched my friend right in the face and knocked him out....

When I heard this I thought, what would I have done.

Could I have told him to get out or else I would shoot him?
    Could I have said give me back my Ipod or else Ill shoot?

Legally I feel like I would get in trouble for doing either one. Which I hate, because I have the feeling that in that situation I would not be able to defend myself/ my belongings because the intruder wasn't using deadly force.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Do you mean before being punched or afterwards? He was knocked out, no idea what would have happened after that. Loss of consciousness is serious bodily injury. A bystander would be justified in using lethal force IMHO.

If I saw someone grab my iPod and walk out, I'd say something but not get close enough to get punched. Then I'd dial the police and realize I just lost my ipod :(

sometimes life isn't fair

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I would my doors locked. ;) No one simply "walks into my house" without having to make some kind of commotion to gain entry.

Did this take place during the day or night?

Spazstick87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    When somone uninvited enters my home immedately it is time to arm urself. You have no idea what that intruders true intentions are. Chances if you would have been armed the person would have ran out without incident. Call the police after they have left or if they want to wait for pd then let them. Preserve yourself and your families lives first.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Okay time to act, but what is the act?
    smile.jpg

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Do you mean before being punched or afterwards? He was knocked out, no idea what would have happened after that. Loss of consciousness is serious bodily injury. A bystander would be justified in using lethal force IMHO.

If I saw someone grab my iPod and walk out, I'd say something but not get close enough to get punched. Then I'd dial the police and realize I just lost my ipod :(

sometimes life isn't fair

Not me. If unable to have a handgun on campus, I would have gone Louisville slugger on him. Starting with a kneecap. Can't run away with that busted.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I would my doors locked. ;) No one simply "walks into my house" without having to make some kind of commotion to gain entry.

+1. We never leave our doors unlocked. And when we are working in the yard we do the same. The Mrs. had an uncle who lived in town. One evening he and her aunt were sitting in the back yard and the front door was unlocked. Somebody walked in and got their purse, billfold, watches, etc.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I would slowly gain consciousness. Get the frozen peas and netbook. Tune into GrooveShark or Spotify and listen to whatever I like. Then I would laugh at the thought of the guy's face when he realizes all the Cole Porter he just scored. Along with Brasilian Jazz and Japanese NOH music. Not to mention those acoustic Chinese classics and Estonian Choir songs, Frank Sinatra, Coltrane, Toots Thielmanns... Now I'm starting to really get pissed off...Did I mention the African tribal chants.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute

Yep. I keep my doors locked all the time, whether I'm home or not. A friend of mine is currently staying in my basement due to his divorce and it bugs the crap out of him that I'm sitting at home and my doors are locked. He gets pissed that he has to dig out the keys to unlock the door, even though I'm home. He also thinks it's silly that I have a handgun on me at all times. Whatever.

Compuvette

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    NE Indiana

This. Everything is locked. They get in, they broke something. Someone in my house that should not be there=they stare down the barrel of a firearm and start explaining why I should not shoot them.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    This. Everything is locked. They get in, they broke something. Someone in my house that should not be there=they stare down the barrel of a firearm and start explaining why I should not shoot them.

Exactly. If it's locked and they STILL get in, they've automatically committed B&E, which makes your post-incident defense that much easier.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Recently, one of my friends was sitting in his apartment on campus and out of no where someone walked in and grabbed his Ipod and started to walk out. My friend said "HEY! what are you doing thats my ipod." So the guy turned around and punched my friend right in the face and knocked him out....

When I heard this I thought, what would I have done.

Could I have told him to get out or else I would shoot him?
    Could I have said give me back my Ipod or else Ill shoot?

Legally I feel like I would get in trouble for doing either one. Which I hate, because I have the feeling that in that situation I would not be able to defend myself/ my belongings because the intruder wasn't using deadly force.

Castle Doctrine. :ar15: You should fear for your life as soon as someone you don't know enters your living space without welcome. ;)

Top Bottom