• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I'm having a bit of an issue with nieghbors, could you give me your oppinion?

We bought this house in March of this year. When we bought this place, the lady we got it from had given the only shed on the property to the nieghbors. They hadn't taken it off the property yet and said they would when the ground wasn't frozen or soggy. Within 2 weeks of moving in....My nieghbors husband died. Of course I wasn't going to tell them they had to hurry with the shed. So I just let it be.
    The lady I bought the house from had left 4 6ft tall huney suckle vines on the shed and told me I could have them, so I started taking care of them (prunning/feeding etc), BUT I left them on the shed for the time being. They saw I was taking care of them...they are not as dumb as they would like for me to think. Went on vacation...came back and the plants are gone and the shed is jacked up and sitting on blocks. My husband asked about the plants and they said they had dis-mantled them and planted some in their yard and gave the rest away to friends. They said they *might* be able to give me a start...which really pushed my buttons, but I let it go.
    Now it's been a month since we've been back from vacation...and the shed is still in my yard on bocks. My dogs try to climb under it.....my child tries to climb under it. And Callie also plays around it all the time. I'm worried it is going to fall and either kill my dogs or hurt my child. Everytime I ask them when it will be moved they give me a day that they will do it...and they never do!

What should I do? I don't want to battle with my nieghbors...BUT I also don't want to be walked all over, and that is what I feel is happening. I've been more than willing to give them time...but 4 months is MORE than enough time. The issue is, they are having problems moving it. I'm thinking about burning it down. lol

It's a mess...I'm so irritated I can't think right. I either want this thing off my property...or the rights to use it. I'm not a storage unit and I am not getting anything out of letting them keep it here. I can't even look into buying a shed because thier shed is in the place I would want mine to go. UGH....HELP

Rachel

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Get one more date from them. When they skip it, get a friend with a pickup truck to tow it to their driveway.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    But...why should I have to dismantle this thing? It is NOT my responsibilty. I know that sounds stupid....but I've got enough on my plate that I dont have time (nor energy) to do what THEY should be doing. I need other options. I am not and can not dismantle this thing by myself.

Also...since it is on my property...would it be on me if someone was hurt. If my child was hurt on it...or a nieghborhood kid was...they could sue ME right?

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Tought spot to be in.

I'd try the direct method first (so there's no misunderstandings). Ask them when in the next two weeks will they be moving the shed. (having a witness would be helpful) By putting it as a direct question, they are forced to answer it or to just blow you off. Either way, you'll have a better understanding of who you're dealing with.

In two weeks, it's moved or you can hire someone to move it and forward the bill.

Good luck. It's a terrible way to start with your new neighboors.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    But...why should I have to dismantle this thing? It is NOT my responsibilty.

Because it's still on your property. If they don't move it by the deadline, I'd say they abandoned it. You can probably sue them for the cost to have it removed, but after lawyer fees, it would probably be cheaper just to pay for the removal yourself.

Bulgy74

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Well, it's on your property, HAS been for years. Guess what? It is your shed. Guess they traded Honeysuckles for a shed!

Call the cops if they step foot on your yard again and have your husband and friends lower it back down.

Or put it in a paper and advertise it for $50 and just don't sell to the neighbors.

Seriously, it's YOUR shed by law.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Put your requests in writing a keep a copy for yourself, mention that they took the plants that the owner gave you, but you are willing to ignore that if they get the shed gone by x-date. Otherwise you will have it removed.

Take a digital pic of it and put it on craigslist. Someone may want it.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Reguardless of what the previous owner has stated, the shed is on your property, making it your shed. Feel free to destroy it.
    But if your feeling neighborly, I would tell them that it's an eyesore for you and if they don't remove it by this date, your going to destroy it.
    I'm sure if you don't have the time nor the resources to do that, that if you order a pizza or something, you'll be able to convince enough people here to help out.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    But...why should I have to dismantle this thing? It is NOT my responsibilty. I know that sounds stupid....but I've got enough on my plate that I dont have time (nor energy) to do what THEY should be doing. I need other options. I am not and can not dismantle this thing by myself.

Also...since it is on my property...would it be on me if someone was hurt. If my child was hurt on it...or a nieghborhood kid was...they could sue ME right?

If it was me I would take it down just for safety. Tell them they have two weeks starting today or it's gone. In tow weeks put an ad on Craigs List for a Free Shed and let someone come pick it up and take it away. Problem solved. If they have a problem with what you did then tell them you will make far better neighbors than enemies and leave it at that. :twocents:

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    See now that would be a great Independence Day event, liberate Rachel's backyard of the evil shed. You could turn it into an OC BBQ!

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    first was the shed part of the contract you singed with the lady you bought the house from,or had she given it away before you signed papers.sounds to me like they think they own your yard also,give them a deadline and if it isnt moved you just sell it and get your own.(since the shed is in your yard if it is nice jack it back down and use it and tell them sorry bout there luck)good luck

Top Bottom