• ...and so much more!
  • flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have read all the posts on the latest juvenile crime. A lot of people are screaming about the repeat behavior of the latest killer having a lengthy criminal history. People are blaming judges, probation officers etc crying for blood.
    My question is: If you were the judge, what would you do with the juveniles committing these crimes early in their criminal careers?
    Example- Little Johnny is 14 years old. Gets caught in a stolen vehicle, runs from the police and gets caught. There was a gun in his possession. He has been arrested for shoplifting at 12 and for a fight (battery) at school at 13.
    You're the judge- What do YOU do?

May add more to the scenario later.

Bob

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Keep in mind that the judge is limited to what the law says.

If I were the judge, I'd do my absolute best to follow the law.

May sound like a cop-out, but their hands are tied, too, to an extent.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I have read all the posts on the latest juvenile crime. A lot of people are screaming about the repeat behavior of the latest killer having a lengthy criminal history. People are blaming judges, probation officers etc crying for blood.
    My question is: If you were the judge, what would you do with the juveniles committing these crimes early in their criminal careers?
    Example- Little Johnny is 14 years old. Gets caught in a stolen vehicle, runs from the police and gets caught. There was a gun in his possession. He has been arrested for shoplifting at 12 and for a fight (battery) at school at 13.
    You're the judge- What do YOU do?

May add more to the scenario later.

Bob

If your going to add more to the scenario later then how can I tell you what my decision would be with out having all the facts?

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    What I meant was, after reviewing some of the answers, I'll attempt to continue with little Johnnys life based on those.
    Sorry for that.

Bob

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Sad fact is there is not much you can do with Johnny. The problem is not little Johnny, it is not the judge, it is not the laws on the books as they are written or enforced. The problem is society, the problem is little Johnny's parents have taught him nothing about pride, respect, honor, dignity. All the little Johnny's out there do not know the meaning of those words. No law is going to change that, no judge is going to change that, no jail sentence is going to change that.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    They'd call me "The Hangin Judge".

Bring back public hangings. Charge a fee. Invite venders for some popcorn, bacon balls, cotton candy, tee shirts etc....
    The town makes a profit, people are in a better mood for getting fresh air and who doesn't like a Funnel Cake.

This way justice is served and so are the corn dogs. :):

I'm actually serious about this.

No Incentive to stop being a criminal when crime DOES pay.

- I've heard of judges that won't put guys away because the prisons are overcrowded.

- They release prisoners because prisons are overcrowded.

- Cops complain because they catch the BG only to see them back on the streets in record time.

Slaps on the wrists aren't working.

Prison Problem??
    Why then do I remember "Super Prisons" being built decades ago to fix this problem only to delay construction over and over then finally stopping the build. Because of the long delays, the building would then have to be retrofitted to bring up to latest codes. No inmate has even set foot in them.

Bureaucracy at it's finest.

Oh - And Johnny's parents are Dicks!

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yes Johnys parent appear to be Richards, bureaucracy sucks, but, you would hang him for possession of the firearm?

Bob

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Publis ass whipping for starters, and I don't mean for just him, but his mom and dad too. If you can even find his dad. I like the idea of some kind of social re-education camp for the little thug as well. No really easy answers, but tell that to the family of his victims. Simeon Adams was a one man crime wave....he needs long term care in a federal facility.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yes Johnys parent appear to be Richards, bureaucracy sucks, but, you would hang him for possession of the firearm?

Bob

I'd hang Johnny because the mere "suggestions" not to commit crime haven't worked and also to keep him from breading. Got to stop the cycle.
    Thought about ordering the parents to be neutered but that seemed a bit immoral.

Less Johnnys = Less Crime and future crime.

If you don't like my methods, then don't vote for me when my next term comes up. :n00b:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Oh I don't know, public floggings, chain gangs, hard labor, public executions???

Sounds kinda extreme doesn't it? The little bassturds know they are going to get a slap on the hand so why should they alter their behavior. Make the punishment painful and you'll likely see less recidivism.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...The problem is society, the problem is little Johnny's parents have taught him nothing about pride, respect, honor, dignity. All the little Johnny's out there do not know the meaning of those words...

Haven't you heard? Respect for the law and adherence to long held social norms is the mark of a serf.

Going your own way no matter what, screwing authority and setting your own rules prove you are a free man.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    No choice but to put him in the system. When I was in the Army, there were guys there who had been given the option to join up or go to jail. The plus I see in that is they are taken from their environment and given military discipline, maybe just what young punks need.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Within today's boundaries? Label him as a "repeat offender", for what little good that will do.

In a slightly more perfect world? Parents have some accountability for their minor children. Won't keep your little one in check? You can ALL go dig a ditch to nowhere, muck a latrine, or whatever.

This is more failed parenting, then a failed justice system, IMHO. My parents would have had me begging forgiveness at the very FIRST item on this kid's rap sheet. The second item would have me begging for my LIFE.

Bandsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Pike County
    While a lot of little Johnnies can be traced to poor upbringing, don't automatically jump to that conclusion. There are plenty of little Johnnies out there who are raised right, have siblings who are upright citizens, and can't or won't do right. Some finally straighten up and others never do. Just guessing, but I suspect we will learn this boy finally turned it around. Either that, or he became a serial killer. How's that for covering all the bases?

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    While a lot of little Johnnies can be traced to poor upbringing, don't automatically jump to that conclusion. There are plenty of little Johnnies out there who are raised right, have siblings who are upright citizens, and can't or won't do right. Some finally straighten up and others never do. Just guessing, but I suspect we will learn this boy finally turned it around. Either that, or he became a serial killer. How's that for covering all the bases?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

beat me to it.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Based on comments:
    1) Kill him
    2) Prison- Problem solved
    3) Hard labor- Good idea. Maybe will make difference
    4) .mil (but he is only 14)
    5) Gladiator games- Fight until they die or fight for a period of time then get freedom?
    6) Spay and neuter the parents- Best idea to prevent any other little thugs

Little Johnny goes to a "placement" facility for 6 months. Comes out with a suspended commitment until he's 18. During that time gets mental health help. Comes out and is re-united with family. No issues until at 17 and 6 months he gets into a fight at school over a girl and is arrested for battery again.
    Now what?

Top Bottom