• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    This is NOT an open vs concealed argument. I happen to do both. But what if your open carrying, and your just minding your business. Either shopping or walking around, whatever. One or 2 other guys call the cops on you and say that you were waving your weapon around. They make up a bunch of stuff, and its your word against theirs. What would happen then? The cop would more than likely take their word over yours right? I mean 2 against 1, and the 1 was carrying a gun! What would happen? Would you be screwed and just be arrested? Aren't you taking a chance to open carry?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    review security footage...

Get corroborating witnesses/stories...

have them describe the firearm...

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    That is exactly why I conceal. Forget all the other beaten into the ground arguments, this is the exact reason I don't OC. Anyone can say anything, and If there are no other witnesses, this could be a real problem. If they can't see my weapon, then that's one more way my @$$ is covered. They can't describe something they've never seen.

SootKing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    not tellin
    That is exactly why I conceal. Forget all the other beaten into the ground arguments, this is the exact reason I don't OC. Anyone can say anything, and If there are no other witnesses, this could be a real problem. If they can't see my weapon, then that's one more way my @$$ is covered. They can't describe something they've never seen.

no but some nasty fat lady can cry to the cops and say "i just dont know it was black and it looked like a gun"

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    And how would that be different than if they see the bulge on your hip or get a glimpse when your coat comes open and they report the same thing.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    no but some nasty fat lady can cry to the cops and say "i just dont know it was black and it looked like a gun"

1. Why a "nasty fat lady"? Are they statistically more likely to engage in this behavior?
    2. Why would said complainant expect such a wild accusation to stick if they have no reason to believe you are even armed?

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    Good question, I assume you read Truckerman's account in the road rage thread? I've often thought the same, gun on hip could = pointing gun to some sheeple or an anti gunner d-bag wanting to set someone 'straight'.

I had an ex girlfriend who got drunk one night, got in an argument and left. Cops showed up, they claimed she reported that I fired shots at her. After I told them where my guns were, they went in and found them, inspected them, and said she was full of BS. Nothing became of it, but of course she said fired not pointed. :dunno:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    And how would that be different than if they see the bulge on your hip or get a glimpse when your coat comes open and they report the same thing.

Many more people are likely to see an OC'd weapon than notice a poorly concealed one. The more people who see your weapon, the higher the probability there is a bad apple among them.

Side note, how to you have a negative rep after so few posts?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Nothing can stop anyone from making up anything they please. They could just as easily claim you took your pants down and shook your junk at them. Not exactly a decent reason for me to worry about such a hypothetical situation or take special measures to prevent the mere possibility.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Good question, I assume you read Truckerman's account in the road rage thread? I've often thought the same, gun on hip could = pointing gun to some sheeple or an anti gunner d-bag wanting to set someone 'straight'.

Nothing can stop anyone from making up anything they please. They could just as easily claim you took your pants down and shook your junk at them. Not exactly a decent reason for me to worry about such a hypothetical situation or take special measures to prevent the mere possibility.

Yep, I read Truckerman's account. But I've always wondered about this anyway.
    ATM, thanks for that image!

I'm just curious if there was anything you could do if this happened. Just seems like your screwed and nothing you can do about it.

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    A friend of mine had this exact situation happen to him , he wasn't arrested , but they did confiscate his weapon , and he had to go to a firearms review hearing with a administrative law judge , and the guy who made the accusations could not identify the gun , he said automatic , it was a NAA derringer , he said black it was stainless , he still lost his license for more than 10 years before the state would approve him again.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    If that's the case, we are potentially screwed every single time we aren't being recorded.

I wish those who make false statements leading to charges that get dropped were actually prosecuted with more regularity.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Make it a point to sue the false accuser in civil court for a large sum of money.

That, of course, won't really solve any immediate problems, but should make them reconsider, at least a few days later, their initial report.

It'll also leave you open to a counter-suit...

-J-

Top Bottom