What was your first gun that got you hooked on shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    My dad had an old Mossberg bolt action 20 ga that he used to introduce me to shooting. To a 7 year old kid, that thing kicked like a mule! I still have that gun, but haven't shot it in 30 years.

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    I thought shooting was fun when I shot my father's 10/22 around the age of 6. Fast-forward about 8 years, and it became a complete addiction when I shot clays for the first time. I remember shooting ~ 20,000 registered targets my first 3 years after getting hooked.

I don't know what I'm going to do if my kids get hooked and I have to foot the bill for three of us to shoot!

aztec777

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2016
    Reno
    The first one I shot was a single action 22. Probably a Colt. The one the got me hooked was a Japanese Arisaka that my father had brought back with him when he returned from WWII. We were hunting and he decided to bring it because he had not shot it in decades. The old man saw a mulie skylining about 400 yards away. I remember him touching that rifle off the instant it hit his shoulder. The deer was anchored on top of that hill and that was that. The rifle was stolen from our house very soon after that. I have never been attracted to those rifles, but the story behind it and what I saw my father do with it was the kicker.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That 1911 BB gun would be the ubiquitous Marksman, which (useless trivia, but still interesting) is the exact same BB gun that Chevy Chase use to take John Candy under gunpoint to ride rides in the closed Wally World in National Lampoon's Vacation.
    81ZJuKkZJ3L._SL1500_.jpg

I don't think thats it. The one I had used a short 2 inch barrel that tipped forward to reload. It could be that one though since I can't see the top of the slide to see if it's a tipping barrel.

Edit: I just looked up more photos and that is the one I had. Dang, I might have to go find one again now. Thanks for posting that OldPink. Brings back a lot of memories.

Last edited:

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    I got a Daisy 1894 BB gun for Christmas when I was 10. It was really cold that Christmas day so dad was going to fill a cardboard box with paper and let me shoot in the basement. Mom had a fit, so I decided to go outside and shoot it. Took me longer to get bundled up than the amount of time I stayed outside, but I was in heaven.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I started with a BB gun when I was a kid and by the time I was old enough to hold up a 22 my dad got me a Marlin 39A... I've never looked back.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I don't think thats it. The one I had used a short 2 inch barrel that tipped forward to reload. It could be that one though since I can't see the top of the slide to see if it's a tipping barrel.

Edit: I just looked up more photos and that is the one I had. Dang, I might have to go find one again now. Thanks for posting that OldPink. Brings back a lot of memories.

Here you go...just $20 - https://www.amazon.com/Marksman-BB-177-Air-Pistol/dp/B00069PQ5Y

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I was 22 when I got my first Marlin 60. The carpenter I was working for decided he was going to take me squirrel hunting and I bought it from Wal-Mart.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    I thought shooting was fun when I shot my father's 10/22 around the age of 6. Fast-forward about 8 years, and it became a complete addiction when I shot clays for the first time. I remember shooting ~ 20,000 registered targets my first 3 years after getting hooked.

I don't know what I'm going to do if my kids get hooked and I have to foot the bill for three of us to shoot!

That could definitely get expensive quick, but it would be money well spent for the bond it would create with your kids. I wish more kids today would/could get involved in shooting sports.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    My first was a early 60's, three screw, Ruger Single Six. In the Navy, I was a courier, and on occasion I would carry a old WW2 S&W Victory.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    My dads Ithica 22 lever action, it was stolen some years back when their house was broken into. I tried like heck to replace it four years ago but could only find the single shot version. Got him a new Henry 22 lever action, close!

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    S&W J frame Model 36 that my Dad carried as a backup when he was on the Sheriff's Deptartment. Because of that little gun, I have always preferred shooting handguns and love J frames to this day.

Rong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    NE Indiana
    I was hooked on the idea of shooting way before, but first real gun was a Steven's favorite falling block at a friends 8th birthday party.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    My dads Ithica 22 lever action, it was stolen some years back when their house was broken into. I tried like heck to replace it four years ago but could only find the single shot version. Got him a new Henry 22 lever action, close!

I think I saw one of those at Bob's Gun Shop in Alpena MI about a week ago. He's on the internet somewhere, don't remember the price. Sounds like you got it covered though.

Top Bottom