What type of rear sight for my flat top?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Any rear sight should work. You may have to get the longer front sight post to swap out in your FSB to zero elevation without the post sticking too far out of the FSB.

Greatestsin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Morgan Township, NWI
    Brand wasn't the issue per se, just wanted to make sure that the standard rear flat top sight would work with the front sight i have. And....after spending like ten minutes digging through the grass looking for a piece to a certain troy...I think I'll stay away from them :)

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Put a rear sight on it and see if you have problems zeroing the rifle. It may work if the tolerances are in your favor. If the tolerances stack against you, you may need to put a taller post in your FSB.

It's easier if you get the right stuff to begin with. "F" marked FSBs are spec for all spec flattops. If you buy a flattop from someone without a properly marked FSB, you really can't be sure what you're getting. The difference is small, something like 0.04" IIRC, but it makes a bigger difference on shorter barreled guns because the sight radius is shorter.

Bushmaster carries them (and I assume other folks do). $5.50
    part # 9349056-M. Screw the old one out, screw the new one in.

As far as sights go, for folders, the Troy has already been mentioned and would be my choice in a folder.

For fixed sights my choice would either be Lewis Machine Tool or Daniel Defense (in that order). The LMT sight takes a little more room on the rail, if you can spare it. I would run a co-witnessed fixed rear sight if my system didn't require a folder, but it's a matter subject to some personal preference.

Reference links:
    Tactical Adjustable Rear Sight - Sights

Daniel Defense, Inc | Browse | Sights | A1.5 Fixed Rear Sight

Greatestsin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Morgan Township, NWI
    I wont buy fords anymore because I left lug nuts loose once and the wheel fell off.

I'd simply been jesting about it, it was something that happened with melensdad's troy sight that he let me borrow. I was almost in debt to him one whole rear sight :( I wouldn't let that hold me against it. They are just expensive.

Thanks for letting me know about the front sight tower available from bushmaster. Its a bushmaster gun so hey if it doesn't work right I'll just replace it.

I have a lead on a removable carry handle that may be coming my way soon, but if not i think i will buy the troy due to the good reviews and no bad reviews that i've ever seen or heard anywhere

Top Bottom