What to tackle first (Buying Advice Needed)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Alright folks, I'm trying to make a decision and would like some sage advice..

I'm feeling pretty good about my handgun collection, so I'm turning my attention to long guns. I'm trying to decide which way to go, and would love some opinions!

I've pretty much decided that I want to do one of the following -

1. Tacticool Pump 12ga. Already have a nice trap-style 12ga. and a Chinese Mossberg/Remington blend.

2. Finish my AR build - I need an upper. Already have an SKS in a moderately-powerful semi rifle.

I feel as though (at this point in time) my other bases are well covered. Which of the two would you pick? Why?

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I'm not a huge fan of shotguns or ARs(I know that is sacralige on here). I would suggest a bolt gun. Something that can reach out more than an AR. But if I'm limited to the 2 choices, I would go with a shotgun for practicality.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    AR is the clear choice. You will shoot it more and get more trigger time. You already have a skeet gun so the tacticool gun would be a range gun. How many rounds do you put through your shotgun in a range trip vs. how many do you put through a carbine? A lot more trigger time in an AR.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Sounds like you have the necessary and practical firearms needed for most situations. Good job.

I second the suggestion of getting some type of AR upper. With one good AR lower, a person can have many rifle choices. There are many upper receiver styles, good prices, and calibers to choose.

There is a gun show at the State fairgrounds starting today with several booths and tables that sell AR uppers.

Have some fun and good luck with your choice.

Last edited:

Hanen42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Ossian
    I would look into finishing that AR build. Definitely a fun rifle! If not, look into a tactical bolt action if thats your thing.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    you said finish your AR... you have one started? If so, then yes. Finish it and be done so you can save for a shotgun next.

And while you're at it, you might as well get with CWood from Indiana Supply Depot and get a .300 BLK Upper :D

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Well, that's pretty overwhelming in the AR direction.. I've got my lower built, the stock should be here this afternoon I'm guessing - just gotta get an upper..

I was getting kinda sad looking at uppers, finding many companies in Stallinois or Commifornia.. any Indiana made uppers?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Top Bottom