• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joeman3285

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Montgomery County
    I've heard so many things regarding this subject and no one seems to agree. Do you want to shoot rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel or sabots and why? To me sabots seem more logical because the rifling on the slugs seems like they might interfere with the barrel rifling, but I'm probably wrong.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    There is a good bit of grey area here. I have shot plain lead rifled slugs in a rifled barrel and had excellent results. In my experience the rifling in most shotgun barrels is slow and shallow enough in most that leading isn't an issue at all. The Brenneke type slugs also work well in rifled barrels...at least they have for me. A rifled barrel tends to shoot all types of slugs better.

In smooth bores there is a bigger difference. First the thought that the rifling on a rifled slug will impart spin is merely wishful thinking. The fins are there so the slug can more easily swage down when passing through a choked barrel. Originally the fins were straight till a manufacturer decided to slant them and call them "rifled" slugs hoping to suggest they would be more accurate...marketing in other words. The best results I have had in a smooth bore has been with the Brenneke style slugs but there have been so many new designs in the past few years that I would have to do a ton of research these days.

For rifled barrels the best I have gotten is when using saboted slugs. The original Federal Premium with the hourglass shaped slug was a great performer out of a Hastings barrel for me.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    Hornady's SST are very accurate from what I understand......just a lil too pricey for my taste.

I really like the Remington Buckhammers and like the name says they really hammer bucks lol.

You want to test out your recoil sensitivity go ahead and check out dixie slugs. But they will put down anything!!

birdslayer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Walkerton
    Try em all get one that shoots and stick with it.. spend alittle up front on some testing and youll be much happier when it comes to slugging... I use the sst's but have had good luck in the past with my bolt gun with copper solids... ( I stay away from the 3" mags) dont get a lot of performance for the recoil... Good LUck

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    It also depends how far you are shooting also...Where I hunt I dont shoot farther than 50 yards, so the rifled slugs in my rifled barrel are more than adequate and at half the cost of sabots.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I have a rifled barrel an have shot both through it...I have settled on the rifled foster
    slugs, they shoot excellent groups out to 110 yds. Outdoor Life did a article several yrs. ago using rifled an smooth bore....The mossberg 500 rifled barrel shot the best with the Winchester 1 oz. Rifled Foster slugs the best...thats why I tried them an have never used anything else. Its hard to believe they are now saying rifled slugs are bad in a rifled barrel.....I'm not buying it......as for buckshot, or any shot, don't shoot that from a rifled barrel....it puts a spin on it an makes a circle pattern an at around 10 or so yards what your aiming at will never be hit, the farther out the bigger the circle pattern with the center having no bb's.

Ram-jac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    West Indy
    I have to agree with the 'buy and try several types'. You spend a little extra up front, but if you take your time at the range you'll get the results youre looking for. Some barrels just like certain slugs over others. Funny thing is with all the range time I have put into these things.....I have always kept a 870 20 gauge around for my younger kids to hunt with. Smooth bore and cheap Remington 'sluggers'.....3 shots at 50 yards always touch eachother and not much worse at 75 yards which is about as far as my young one will shoot anyway. I always chuckle when we pull that thing out for some target practice........
    Good luck to you......

BriceR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Stick with sabot slugs as riffeld slugs will ruin the life of your barrell much faster then using sabot slugs.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Either - but taking advantage of sabot slugs generally gives better performance, does not leave as much fouling, and is claimed to wear the barrel less.

It is more important to check your specific shotguns POI with the type of ammunition you choose, since not all manufacturers make identical ammunition, and shotguns are unique.

The Box O' Truth #46 - Shotgun Slugs, Sabots, and Smooth Bore Barrels - Page 1

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I think I understand the difference between using rifled or sabot slugs...just don't understand the price difference...what gives?

If I had to guess... I'd say it's because the 100+ yard 12 ga slug market is smaller.

I would also guess, that making the sabot so that it comes apart properly is probably more expensive than the foster design, which is quite elegant in its simplicity.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom