• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    For sure... don't overlook the CZ's. If you choose one, you'll be glad you did.

You are not kidding... I used to be all about plastic guns. Never even considered steel until I shot my first 1911... but then I thought that maybe 1911's were "the exception" then one day I asked to hold a shiny CZ75B (literally like the only gun I hadn't previously asked to hold in the whole LGS)... as soon as I got it my hands everything changed.

I have to have one...

Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    A different thought... If you haven't shot much... You might consider borrowing a Glock from one of your buddies and take a local 2-day defensive handgun course where you can really get the basics down. Rather than stumble/fumble on your own.

I'm the example of stumble/fumble - and am still working on unlearning the things I learned wrong in the beginning. My wife on the other hand took a class with me, and is an excellent shot - because she does everything correctly - and learned it that way from the start.

Another benefit of a group class is you are thrown in with many folks, and many different styles of handguns. You would get to see a variety, and talk to those who are shooting them to get their take on the various guns. You might even have someone offer to let you shoot their gun.

Just a thought.

And in my opinion you can't go wrong with the aforementioned recommendations. Remember the tried and true brands like Glock, Walther, H&K, Baretta, Sig to name some of my favorites. But not all those are striker fired.

You might also like watching Hickok45 on YouTube. Some like him. He's more hands on and less talk than NutnFancy, but I check them both out occasionally for gun reviews.

Good luck.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    The one that unequivocally, 100% of the time, will go bang every single time you pull the trigger. Will not break, doesn't require a baggie of spar parts and will do so filthy and grossly contaminated with earth, or sand or water, grease, etc. (you get the picture) . It's called a Glock.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I recommend you look in to a basic pistol training class. Many instructors bring a number of pistols that you can try out. It will probably not cost a lot more than renting the same number of guns, and it comes with a day of instruction in safety, marksmanship, gun handling, cleaning, terminology, and other related topics.

It looks like you're in Ft. Wayne. You might look up INGunOwners - View Profile: NIFT . He is a forum member and NRA Pistol Instructor in Ft. Wayne. This is his website: Indiana Firearms Training.

I have not personally trained with him, but I have met him in person at an event he organized. He seems like he'd get you going in the right direction. You might contact him and see if he brings a variety of pistols for students to try during class. I know many instructors do.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Name brands was not the original question although I am sure it will be appreciated by the OP. I like 1911's but did not push one at him.

Many good Ideas. The basic pistol course is the best if you can afford the money and time. Can not go wrong with it for the reasons mentioned.
    After you get the basics down use your noodle and find a piece that "you" are comfortable with. Revolver/steel/plastic all have positives and negatives depending on what you are intending to do with them. You will change a lot during your journey with firearms. Enjoy the journey and do it the right and safe way.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    There's a ton of variables, and its tough to recommend anything for sure.

Traditionally folks will recommend the following:

A .22 revolver or semi-auto. Its cheap to practice with, you can learn the fundamentals, and the firearm itself will be more inexpensive. Its a rare collection that doesn't have a .22 in there somewhere.

A .357 revolver. There's a ton of versatility to a nice .357. .38s are a bit cheaper for practice, but still way more than .22s of course, and you have a very effective self defense gun that you won't "outgrow" anytime soon.

A 9mm semi-auto. 9mm is the cheapest of the common calibers, the guns have a nice balance of capacity, power, and recoil.

There's no one right answer, though. Just remember that your budget needs to include a quality holster, carry ammunition, and practice ammunition. You are better off getting a cheaper gun and good training than an expensive gun and no training.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    .40 cal is a great caliber... but if you think you might want to shoot a lot, consider getting something in 9mm or even .22 (provided its not for self defense).

Not to threadjack or anything, but what do you fellows consider "shooting a lot"? Say once or twice a week for an hour or so...how broke am I going to go? :D I ask because this is one factor that has me going back and forth between a .40 and a 9mm.

And beyond that, anyone care to give me a general idea of what a box of .40 ammo costs VS 9mm?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Not to threadjack or anything, but what do you fellows consider "shooting a lot"? Say once or twice a week for an hour or so...how broke am I going to go? :D I ask because this is one factor that has me going back and forth between a .40 and a 9mm.

And beyond that, anyone care to give me a general idea of what a box of .40 ammo costs VS 9mm?

How much is "shooting a lot"?

I don't know how much is "a lot". I would say, if you're making it to the range at least once a week, you are shooting significantly more than the average gun owner. You are probably shooting more than most shooters on this forum. I try to make it to the range every weekend, and I have trouble getting people to go with me that often.

I can tell a pistol shooter puts a lot of rounds down range when they stop taking ammo to the range in individual boxes and just dump it all in a big ammo can. When the can gets low, they fill it up. They don't count rounds or care too much what brand goes in to or comes out of the can. (I qualify this as "pistol shooter" because most serious rifle shooters I know are a fair bit more picky about their ammo. It just doesn't make much difference with a pistol.)

How much does 9mm cost vs .40 S&W?

You can find 9x19mm available between $0.20/rnd and $0.30/rnd, depending on what you want to buy. The average is probably around $0.24/rnd. It is getting harder to find the 0.20/round stuff. I try not to pay more than 0.22/rnd.

I don't shoot .40S&W, but I typically see it sold between $0.27/rnd and $0.37/rnd. Average is probably 0.33 or so per round.

How much you will spend overall depends on how much you shoot. If you're on the range once a week, and shoot 100 rounds of 9mm @ 0.23/rnd each session, you'll spend $1,196.00 per year. Throw in a few events, competitions, training classes, etc and you can add a case or two to that tally. Call it $1,500/year worth of 9mm ammo. That is around 6500 rounds. The same 6500 rounds of .40 S&W at 0.33/rnd would cost $2,145.00. (I did some gross rounding in here to make the numbers look better. Its all just ball parks and estimates anyway.)

I wouldn't necessarily even say that 6500 rounds per year is "a lot" of shooting. At least not by my standards. Someone who only makes it to the range once a month or less, does not compete or attend training classes, or other shooting events, might think it was a whole lot of shooting.

I'm not sure what it costs to reload the same ammo. It is my understanding that the economic gain is more significant in .40 and .45 vs 9mm. However, you have to take in to consideration the up-front cost of equipment and the not-insignificant amount of time you will spend in front of the re-loading bench. Re-loading becomes its whole own hobby. I prefer to spend my time on the range.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012

.40 is about 33% more expensive. For a new shooter who plans to hit the range as much as possible to get good with the weapon... 33% more shooting is quite a bit.

Taking range fees out of the equation... the difference for about an hour or so of shooting between 9mm and .40 is gonna be about $10 - $15 giver or take depending on how quick you shoot.

In contrast... .22lr is so cheap that if you plan to shot A WHOLE LOT... then having a 2nd pistol that shoots .22lr will pay for itself VERY QUICKLY.

Last edited:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Another idea to consider is conversion kits for common guns (ie., Glocks, 1911s, etc)

I have one and really enjoy it. Assuming equal costs in range time and no inflated ammo prices at the range, you can take 500 rounds of 22LR or 50 rounds of .40.. I'm as proficient as I am purely because of the practice I can do with the 22LR..

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Another idea to consider is conversion kits for common guns (ie., Glocks, 1911s, etc)

I have one and really enjoy it. Assuming equal costs in range time and no inflated ammo prices at the range, you can take 500 rounds of 22LR or 50 rounds of .40.. I'm as proficient as I am purely because of the practice I can do with the 22LR..

I agree with this and the poster above. Everyone needs a .22. I like the Advantage Arms conversion kits for Glock. Ciener makes a decent kit, though I dont like it as well as the AA kit. S&W makes an M&P in 22 that is very similar to the larger bore M&Ps. Sig also makes .22 conversions for a couple pistols in their Classic line.

Cost and availability of accessories like this, as well as magazines and parts, is a significant consideration for me when selecting a firearm for defensive purposes.

Last edited:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    It sucks to come off another $200 for a gun you already paid $500 for... but having a .22lr conversion kit is money in the bank in the long run. Especially if the gun you get the conversion for is for self defensive purposes.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I've been looking into different local ranges to see what is available. Renting guns is a great idea.

I have been looking for a local shop that has the PPQ or P99, I would love to get my hands on one to try out. I have some glock buddies so I'm sure I will be firing a couple of them in the near future.

So far it looks like i'm looking for a pistol that will have drop safety, is striker fired, and has a short trigger reset.

I own and carry a First gen P99 .40 daily, excellent choice In my own opinion.

Top Bottom