• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I'm sure there are threads like this already posted on here, but if you own any of these guns It would be nice to hear some honest, non bias, opinions about them.

I'm looking to pick up a light, thin, handgun for carrying. I'm pretty thin so the lighter and thinner frame the better. I've done quite a bit of research online and have heard good and bad for everything I've looked at. Guns are mechanical and I realize none of them are perfect.

I've decided on going with a 9mm over a .380.

My key selling points are:

Accuracy: (I realize a lot of this depends on the shooter and these barrel lengths on these guns are very short) I'd like the gun to be accurate, obviously.
    weight: <20 oz
    width: pref 1.2" or less
    capacity: pref 7 round mag but I could settle for 6.
    trigger pull: I don't want an extremely long harsh trigger pull.
    PRICE: I'd like to keep it $400 or less if possible.

The guns I've been looking at....

Kel Tec PF-9 - Cheapest, lightest I've found. Heard a lot of negative feedback on it, although I know someone who owns one who loves theirs.

Beretta Nano - Friend has one, held it, seems solid, well made, however its kind of heavy. Still considering it.

Kahr CM9 - Cheaper alternative to the PM9 - WENT WITH THIS ONE. Very pleased!

Ruger LC9 - Heard a lot of negative feedback about the trigger pull and accuracy. Heard better things about the LCP but I think I'd rather have the 9mm.

Sig P938 - Obviously out of the price range I was looking for but other than that I've heard a lot of good things about this gun.

Any suggestions of other weapons in the same class, I'd be happy to hear them. Maybe I've overlooked another contender.

Thanks.

***Never heard of Diamond Back 9mm before, but just discovered it. Extremely thin .8" Anyone have one of these? Had any experience with them?

Last edited:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Welcome to the forum

First thing, I don't know what fantasy your living in but you will never get a honest, non bias, opinions

:):
    Youve lready posted some very good choices, I have shot the Keltec and the ruger lc9, I would pick the lc9 just fellt better and ruger may not ever be the flashy most refined product on the market but they are always a good reliable product.

No for the unbiased part, First of all I already carry a S&W shield so I've made my choice and if you look around you can get the Shields a lot cheaper than a year ago. But also the XDS needs mentioned.

good luck on this endever but you really are going to have to pick the one you like, if it's one of the well respected brands your good, The top makers are not making junk right now

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Kahr CM9 - Cheaper alternative to the PM9, but I read the barrel wasn't rifled which leaves me weary about the accuracy.

The CM9 barrel IS rifled - it's just not polygonal rifling but instead is traditional "groove" rifling. In the right hands it's SCARY accurate. This is what my humble abilities produced offhand from 7 yards from one:

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      105 KB · Views: 24

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I don't know who told you that Kahr makes a pistol without a rifled barrel, but rest assured, all of their pistols have rifling. Some are standard "cut" rifling, and some are polygonal. Usually, their higher-end models have polygonal rifling.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Misinformation. I'd say so.:laugh: As said before, polygonal on the high end Kahrs and standard rifling on the less expensive ones. After much research, I went with the CM9, and I am very happy with my choice. I think the top 5 contenders would be the Sig P938, the Kahr CM9, Kahr CW9, S&W M&P Shield and the XDs. The 2 smallest are the first 2 mentioned, then the last 3 mentioned are slightly larger. You really need to shoot them, to see what you are most comfortable with. For all pistols mentioned, they are all capable of good accuracy, and are quite reliable.
    0701131133a_0001_zpse59367e9.jpg

0627131148a_zps4bd4d61f.jpg

Always keep a spare.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    You're on track with your choices. They are all acceptable carry guns. Being a gun forum, we each have our own preferences and opinions of what we like. I prefer Kahrs and love my CM9. But the reason I like it is because it has been reliable and I shoot and carry it well.

My advice would be go to the next gun show and actually handle some of the pistols on your list. See which ones feel good in your hand and which triggers you like. I can talk for days about the guns I like to shoot...but at the end of the day, it needs to be what you feel most comfortable with...my opinions of my Kahr won't do you any good when you'd be the one saving your life with it.

Once you understand what you like and what you're leaning towards, then come to us for advice.

Best of luck and be sure to post pictures once you do figure out what feels comfortable to you.;)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    M&P Shield. It suits all of your requirements and is a good shooter out of the box. If you decide you want to upgrade it later, there's plenty of aftermarket support for different sights, trigger components etc. A worked Shield with an Apex kit is one of the nicest triggers you are likely to get in the price range.

snuffy33

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    140   0   0
    Apr 25, 2008
    Indy
    Since you're on the southside of Indy why not rent what you're interested in at Indy Trading Post and see how they feel when shot?

Top Bottom