• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Anyone have ideas for old jeans that aren't off of pinterest? I don't want to make pot holders, handbags, pillows, collages, or anything like that. Something practical and useful. I'd hate to throw away four pairs. They're too ripped up to really wear anymore but it's a waste to throw away that much material. I'm wondering about the practicality of making ammo pouches out of them. Maybe a belt? Rucksack?

Maybe a large rain coat/great coat for use in the woods. Would be super ugly, but I could waterproof it and make one heck of a coat for hiking.

Any ideas for recycling these? From simple to complex doesn't matter. I'm a rather ample size so there's plenty of material there.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Usually the legs below the knees are pretty good shape. If you look at how the bottom is made, it is not too hard to figure out how to put two cords through the folded material. Measure up from there and sew the other end shut. Makes a durable duffle for things like wrenches and motorcycle tire irons that you carry in your saddle bags, and other stuff that may need to be kept together. I have one with Muzzle loader balls, patches, and a powder measure, I have another in the car with a few emergency breakdown supplies. I even have a blackpowder revolver in one. They tend to get really filty, so when the jean leg duffle gets too dirty, I just throw it away and make a new one.

Too bad the "elephant" bell bottoms we wore in 1970 are no longer in style, you could make some pretty big duffles out of those.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Anyone have ideas for old. I'd hate to throw away four pairs. They're too ripped up to really wear anymore but it's a waste to throw away that much material. I'm wondering about the practicality of making ammo pouches out of them. Maybe a belt? Rucksack?

Maybe a large rain coat/great coat for use in the woods. Would be super ugly, but I could waterproof it and make one heck of a coat for hiking.

Any ideas for recycling these? From simple to complex doesn't matter. I'm a rather ample size so there's plenty of material there.
    Yeh, put them on a hanger at Walmart with a sticker of $53. You'll move them in no time!

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Cut the bottoms off and make brush leggings, or cut them up for patching sub-caliber balls in your musket! Yeah, I use denim for shooting .69 cal balls in my .75 cal Brown Bess. Works great! You guys do have muskets, right?

:lmfao:

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    Give them to the best-looking girl you know. Just make sure the rips and gaps are in the most interesting places. :whistle:

LEVI-FAT.jpg

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    My wife was working on making a jean quilt with all of our old jeans. She was nearly finished with it when we lost everything in a fire. Maybe one day we will try to make one again.

MrHank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Westfield, IN
    My wife was working on making a jean quilt with all of our old jeans. She was nearly finished with it when we lost everything in a fire. Maybe one day we will try to make one again.

My wife has already made one to fit a queen size bed and is now working on another.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Leo gave me an idea when he said he stored a black powder revolver in one of his denim duffels. I think my first project will be to make a denim flap holster for my 1851 Colt reproduction. Wouldn't be much in the way of protection for said firearm, but it would retain it if I go for a hike. I've got a bunch of buttons so the flap could be secured with one to keep the revolver from falling out. Could probably pad it with some fleece I've got or a second layer of denim for a bit more protection.

I'm not very good with sewing, but this won't be too difficult of a project.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    A friend's dad would make pouches from the lower legs and then fill them with shot pellets and use them as shooting bags.

Not sure how easy it is to source shot these days - but a coarse sand or a tiny pea gravel may work, too.

-J-

Top Bottom