• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    When we bought our house a couple years ago the previous owners left an old Amana microwave. It was still working fine so we left it, even though the door handle was broken off and it seemed the power was relatively weak compared to newer models. Well, we finally got around to replacing it and now I don't know what to do with this one. It was made in 1981, and is very heavy. Due to the microwave components, I assume you can't just throw it away? Do they take these things on community tox drop-off days?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    I don't believe you can just set it out at the curb. They often contain Beryllium Oxide as part of the ceramic insulator; BeO is carcinogenic. There are a lot of electronics recycling businesses popping up lately, I'd see if your county will accept older microwaves or maybe somewhere like Best Buy might recycle it for you.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Well, my first reaction was that you should shoot it, probably several times for target practice. Maybe even put some tannerite in it and blow it up real good. But then again, it does have a magnetron in it that could have some chemicals in it that aren't good to inhale if you were to bust the magnetron open.

It is largely metal and coppers so might have some scrap metal value. Could check with a local scrap dealer to see if they handle them.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Or put it in the middle of a field, run a very long extension cord, and see what happens when you microwave a 1lb propane cylinder...

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    I took an old one to the recycling center in Anderson last November, along with a working TV. I had to pay $5 to be rid of the TV but the microwave was free...

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Thanks for the replies, it looks like my best bet is to wait for a tox drop day. Seems like a waste since it still works, but it's just taking up space. Tannerite seems like fun but this thing is pretty old and who knows what would happen. waaa2

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I set one up all mad scientist like one time. Blocked off the waveguide and made a coax transition, fed a splitter into a semicircular array of the cutest little yagis. I was able to light an incandescent bulb with no contact, play corona games, etc. Probably never have any more children, but SCIENCE!

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    Put it on Craigslist for free. Don't give it to Goodwill or Lowes. There are many scrappers out there that depend on that stuff to survive and feed their family. If you do that, it will be recycled. Just my 2 Cents.

Top Bottom