• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I just took it out and put 2 slugs through it just for kicks. Still fires well. I hit what I was aiming at. Of course it was only 30ft maybe. I really don't know what I'm going to do with it. I just got a wild hair and thought I'd get some suggestions. I may buy some birdshot for it and see what the pattern is and use it for my 8yr daughter to practice with. It's no good for hunting I'm sure. I would feel bad about selling it, because of the condition. There is no bluing left.

I'm torn I guess and just throwing my own thoughts out just to get them out. :)

If it shoots, why do you need a new barrel for it ?????

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    1) If you don't want it or don't want to part it out, then keep it for a gun buyback.

2) Sell it on INGO. Depending on location I would give you some quality .22 LR in trade.

3) Cut the barrel to just over 18 inches and keep it for a truck gun. I can think of good uses for such a gun.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I appreciate all of the suggestions. Seems that I should probably keep it as long as it's in firing condition and safe anyway. I happened to be cleaning my closet and saw it sitting there. The gun hadn't crossed my mind in years. I guess a working firearm is always good to keep around as long as the ammo is cheap.

I appreciate being able to bounce ideas off of you guys/gals. The wife isn't always so good at that. (when it comes to the guns anyway)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Actually a rattle can paint job might look pretty cool. I say buy some Kylon and have some fun.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Actually a rattle can paint job might look pretty cool. I say buy some Kylon and have some fun.
    I like this idea too. It would give me a chance to mess around a little without worrying I was screwing the value of something.

jrogers88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    linton
    Im constantly lookimg for old beat and busted guns with the intention of refinishing and sellin but always end up hangin on to them lol. Use it as a learning tool for workimg on your own guns

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'm pretty sure it will pattern just fine, not as well as before, but you may be surprised.

Here is an idea for you though. Let an aspiring gunsmith try to thread it or adapt it for screw in chokes. If he succeeds you win, free fixed gun. If he screws up take a bit more off the barrel (if legal) and you are back where you started.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Well, I've decide to give this another chance in life.

I've never attempted anything of the sort, so this is going to be a learning experience.
    I noticed that someone else before me had redone the wood. And very badly too. There was varnish on the receiver and buttplate. Varnish had runs in it as well. it was sanded and coated while on the gun. It looks like 80 grit scratches and they soaked up the dark stain. The wood is worse than the metal.
    So far I've completely dismantled it.
    Stripped the barrel of old bluing and rust, and started to sand out the pits and deep scratches.

I've squared the end of the barrel. (it wasn't as square as I thought after looking at the pics)

Stock and forearm are being stripped right now.

I did a preliminary sand and polish on the pot-metal trigger guard.

I need different intermediate grits for the sanding. Too many scratches. This is a learning experience and I actually want to find the pitfalls and mistakes myself. Sounds weird, but you can't learn by doing it right... :laugh:

I plan to use a cold blue product for the barrel and receiver. I may just paint the pot-metal guard and barrel release. I don't know yet.

Pictures of the little things, I've done. Keep in mind this is all hand done. No lathe, no sanders, grinders, or anything of the sort. I plan on using a Dremil for some things, but not many.

Pics:
    T6LeqIy.jpg

9BbrQLe.jpg

BM47gmG.jpg

cGa21o0.jpg

Top Bottom