• Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    yup, on the receiver:

beatmosin-11.jpg

Because of these import marks, I just assumed it was a recent import, though my retired sniper 91/30 has the import marks on the end of the barrel, so something changed.

The bore is really pretty good. Every mosin Ive seen has a dark bore, and this one does as well, but the lands/grooves are nice and crisp, very well defined. The bolt face is nice as well.

When I first saw the pitting, beside 'ouch' the first thing that came into my mind was pitting from blood stain because most of it is around the receiver and first steel band. ;)
    It is a recent import. The old CAI imports had their markings on the end of the barrel. Only recently did they start placing the billboard markings on the receiver...they are sooo ugly. The condition is most likely a result of the previous owner. The recent imports are all refurbs from Ukraine so it is not likely to have been imported in that condition. Sadly, most likely the previous owner just didn't know how to take care of a weapon. You are not going to hurt its collectability in this instance.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    that would be a fun gun to refinish.... sandpaper and stain for the stock... and a pillar file and cold blue for the pitting on the metal... you wont decrease its value, but could learn tons about refinishing on this and maybe learn enough to get a deal on a nicer beater gun that you refinish to turn it into a shooter in the future.... it could be refinished for about 50 dollars in overhead if you have nothing... sand stain files cold blue polishing compound and sandpaper.... it would probably take around 10 man hours to do which spread out would make for a nice winter project... plus there are some cool trigger jobs you could try on it while you have it apart.

I'd say this. And I need to find where to learn to do those trigger jobs on mosins. I've got 2 that could desperately use something done.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    and so what if it does? if you dont know the story and cannot find the story out then it having a story is pointless..... nothing more than a bad knock knock joke..... i would rather have the enjoyment of refinishing it and showing before and after pictures than showing it to someone and saying, yea it has one heck of a story behind it.... chirp..... chirp.
    Thats just my opinion, which is what the guy was asking for. I have 7 91/30's, and before I bought the first one, I had planned on refinishing one, but I just cant bring myself to do it. All of mine are pre 1946, as in, WWII era, and even though I dont know what the history is behind any of them, they still hold a certain mystique that I don't wanna screw with.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    You could make a sweet lamp with that. Get a few more and use them as fence posts. Or paint two rifles orange and link 10 yards of chain to the front sights and use them to measure 1st downs.

Otherwise I'm with you guys, practice some refinishing and custom work.

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Id bead blast all the metal and reblue it. Then sand the stock down a tad and re-shellac. I normally would say leave it as is but i feel doing so would be a great disservice to a fine rifle in this situation.

yj-guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    brazil
    I'd say that mosin is just as good as one in excellent just so long as it shoots. I only say that because you don't have to worry bout hurting it. Keep the nice gun for the range, hunting, or showin off. Take that beat up ole mosin in the woods, camping or where ever and store it anywhere without worry about "beating" it up.

Top Bottom