• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cabinfvr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    What are the proper procedures when being pulled over for a traffic violation when carrying?

Do you tell the officer you have a weapon?
    Do you give him your permit with your drivers license?
    Do you have to legally tell him?

Any other advice?

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    What are the proper procedures when being pulled over for a traffic violation when carrying?

I will if he asks, because I will give him the LTCH when I give him my driver's license.
    Yes.
    No, but don't lie if he asks.
    Any other advice?
    Don't **** standing up.

;)

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I have a family member who is LE here in Indiana and his suggestion to me when I asked him this same question about 8 years ago upon receiving my carry permit was along the lines of the following:

Turn vehicle off, stop all activities inside vehicle, turn on dome light, roll down my window and place hands either on the open window frame or maintain them at 10-2 on the steering wheel

Hello Officer/Trooper, I just want to let you know I have a valid IN firearm carry permit. I do have my firearm loaded and on my person at this time. It is currently located (Insert valid location here).

At this point you have done everything you can to present yourself as a responsible/respectful non hostile subject of a routine traffic stop who happens to be a lawfully firearm carrying citizen.

From this point on just comply with the directions they give you making sure to move slowly and smoothly when retrieving any documentation from your wallet/glove box that is requested (Only AFTER they request your license/registration/proof of insurance in my opinion as retrieving these can be easily misconstrued as furtive actions and can place the LEO into a heightened state of alert).

Good luck and stay safe!

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    Don't do what my dad did. He was pulled over near Bloomington and handed the cop his DL. He then handed him his carry permit at the same time he said "you might want to see this" and raised up off the seat so the officer could see it. Needless to say the officer drew his weapon and was not very happy. The cop had me take the weapon out of my dad's holster and unload it.
    I would try not to get pulled over in the first place. However if I was pulled over I would hand him my DL, proof of insurance, vehicle registration and gun permit. I would also keep my hands on the steering wheel and wait for him to ask me questions or whatever. No sudden moves and always be respectful. That proffesion is hard enough without people being rude and disrespectful.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    No, you do not legally have to tell them.

No, I do not tell them. Or at least didn't the one time I've been pulled over in a while.

No, my LTCH cannot be seen while I retrieve my driver's license.

There are too many stories of police officers treating armed citizens like criminals on simple traffic stops for my taste. Getting pulled out of the car, having my gun stolen, even if it is returned a few minutes later, and being generally abused simply for carrying a gun is not my cup of tea.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    The one time I was stopped, about ten years ago, I handed him my DL and LTCH at the same time. He just asked where it was and I told him on my right hip. He just said Ok, went back and run my DL. Came back and gave me a verbal warning to slow down. Wished each other a nice day and went our separate ways.

I was late picking up my daughter and was driving a little fast. I think I was doing 65 in a 55 if I remember correctly.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I was talking with a local LEO and asked him that very question. He told me that if the driver is honest and tells him up front of a handgun in the car it will probably mean getting a warning instead of a ticket.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I was stopped on Sunday on W 96th St speed trap, I had my entire family in the car(Wife & 3 kids ages 4-19). Presented my DL got my ticket and moved on! Hey can any body fix a ticket with Zionsville PD? lol

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. Relax.

2. There is no legal requirement to disclose that you are carrying.

3. I do not tell unless I am asked. However, if they want me out of the car/truck I will tell them I have my pistols on me.

I do not preemptively tell them as there are far too many examples of drivers having guns pointed at them (the police desire to finger guns concerns me as their gun skills are low and the opportunity to hurt others is very high), including my own experience of looking down the barrel of one of my own pistols.

Of my best friends got this treatment driving up to Beverly Shores to go sailing. He foolishly told the state trooper that he was armed and the trooper wanted his gun but had no idea how the pistol (a P99) worked and spent 10 minutes attempted to drop the mag, pointing it at everyone in the car, passing traffic and his own leg. Good thing my buddy had a strong bladder and extra underwear.:D

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    1. Relax.

2. There is no legal requirement to disclose that you are carrying.

3. I do not tell unless I am asked. However, if they want me out of the car/truck I will tell them I have my pistols on me.

I do not preemptively tell them as there are far too many examples of drivers having guns pointed at them (the police desire to finger guns concerns me as their gun skills are low and the opportunity to hurt others is very high), including my own experience of looking down the barrel of one of my own pistols.

Of my best friends got this treatment driving up to Beverly Shores to go sailing. He foolishly told the state trooper that he was armed and the trooper wanted his gun but had no idea how the pistol (a P99) worked and spent 10 minutes attempted to drop the mag, pointing it at everyone in the car, passing traffic and his own leg. Good thing my buddy had a strong bladder and extra underwear.:D

You should have gotten his Name and reported him. That would most likely have been captured by his dash cam and is definitely against procedure.

I personally have never met an ISP Trooper who didn't know his way around any firearm you set in front of him. Granted I've only been around 15 or 16 of them between range sessions and a few cookouts but still. Sounds like one of two things happened there.

1. Your friend made up a ridiculous story about a trained LEO fumbling around with a mag release for almost 10minutes in order to cover up the fact that he did something regrettable while operating his vehicle.

Or

2. The ISP Trooper in question is a danger to himself and the public and needs to be evaluated by his superiors and perhaps required to take some additional procedural training.

Sorry to say but I'm leaning heavily towards #1.

As far as your statement of you "Looking down the barrel of your own weapon at the hands of a LEO" I would have to put that statement in the same boat as your friends' statement, again leaning towards explanation #1 because I've never EVER even heard of a LEO pointing a suspects firearm BACK at them except after a scuffle where the suspect drew down on the LEO and the LEO wrestled the firearm away from them.

Best of luck in your future travels, please be sure to drive safe because you clearly have the worst luck ever with LEO if your anecdotes are accurate.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Having an uncle who is LEO I asked him this same question. His response was that there was no need to disclose this information unless asked, or asked to exit the vehicle (especially if it is on your person). If your firearm isn't going to be seen while retreiving the required documentatiion, there is no reason to point out that you have one with you. Not every LEO is a supporter of civilian carry. I keep my hands on the wheel until officer is at the window, retrieve required doc's, go on about my way (with or without ticket). The fact that you have a firearm has nothing to do with this situation (assuming you've been pulled over for a standard moving violation, etc.) so why bring it up? Do you present your LTCH when you give the cashier your debit card at the gas station? It's just as irrelevant.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

Not Required. I will not bring it up unless asked or it is likely to be visible.
    No. I also do not keep my permit BEHIND my license, so it isn't visible when my wallet is open and license out.
    Not unless asked.
    Any other advice?
    #1 - I have my license and registration out and on the dash by the time the LEO gets to my door. Hands in sight, and light on (if after dark). I also stop somewhere safe for both the LEO and myself (out of traffic).
    #2 - Be polite. The are likely not out to get you (some exceptions).
    #3 - Why did you get pulled over, anyway? I haven't owned a radar detector in years, and haven't gotten a ticket (for any reason) in decades.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip
    I personally have never met an ISP Trooper who didn't know his way around any firearm you set in front of him. Granted I've only been around 15 or 16 of them between range sessions and a few cookouts but still. snip.

Well, your BBQ experience clearly gives you a firm basis upon which to call people liars. BBQs are, after all, the most authoritative basis possible for such judgements :rolleyes:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You should have gotten his Name and reported him

I was not there.

Your friend made up a ridiculous story about a trained LEO fumbling around with a mag release for almost 10minutes in order to cover up the fact that he did something regrettable while operating his vehicle

No, my friend did not make anything up. It happened in front of him, much to his dismay. My friend was not cited after the ISP goat rodeo.

As far as your statement of you "Looking down the barrel of your own weapon at the hands of a LEO" I would have to put that statement in the same boat as your friends' statement,

Same boat=The Truth Boat.:D

I've never EVER even heard of a LEO pointing a suspects firearm BACK at them

Then I see you have never been stopped for obeying the law in Broad Ripple. However, I have and during which I got to see the muzzle of one of my pistols as IMPD pointed it back at me while he struggled with my 1911 like an ape from 2001.

I got a gun pointed at me and I got spit on. It was a great day to be a free citizen.

You can read all about it here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ying_in_broad_ripple_indy_gimp_encounter.html

Best of luck in your future travels, please be sure to drive safe because you clearly have the worst luck ever with LEO if your anecdotes are accurate.

Thanks, but I wasn't driving. I was walking out of a coffee shoppe, doing absolutely nothing illegal, immoral, or even fattening.

I AM THE COFFEE CARRIER.

Last edited:

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Last time this was asked I didn't think to bring this up: I assume most folks carry on thier dominate side hip, and also have thier wallet on that same side in the back pocket. You do have to reach past the firearm to get to the wallet. If you stock beer in your belly, you probably twist alittle raising that firearm (if not WELL concealed) into the easy view. Anyone who drives with thier wallet in thier pocket and carries on thier hip may want to respond to "License and Registration please" with "Yes Officer, but I want to inform you I have a LTCH and must reach past my firearm to get to my wallet".

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    You should have gotten his Name and reported him. That would most likely have been captured by his dash cam and is definitely against procedure.

I personally have never met an ISP Trooper who didn't know his way around any firearm you set in front of him. Granted I've only been around 15 or 16 of them between range sessions and a few cookouts but still. Sounds like one of two things happened there.

1. Your friend made up a ridiculous story about a trained LEO fumbling around with a mag release for almost 10minutes in order to cover up the fact that he did something regrettable while operating his vehicle.

Or

2. The ISP Trooper in question is a danger to himself and the public and needs to be evaluated by his superiors and perhaps required to take some additional procedural training.

Sorry to say but I'm leaning heavily towards #1.

As far as your statement of you "Looking down the barrel of your own weapon at the hands of a LEO" I would have to put that statement in the same boat as your friends' statement, again leaning towards explanation #1 because I've never EVER even heard of a LEO pointing a suspects firearm BACK at them except after a scuffle where the suspect drew down on the LEO and the LEO wrestled the firearm away from them.

:n00b: you dont know how to make friends very well do you?
    also your above highlighted statement doesnt suprise me. most people arent aware of half the bad things cops do unless they join INGO. you will learn in due time. and maybe Kirk will forgive you for calling him a liar. All the new under 50 posters seem to come and start calling members liars for some reason???

Top Bottom