• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Did some reading and there's a lot of talk about snakes these days.

Let's share what we know about how to identify good vs bad snakes.

Let's share what we know about what to do when bitten.

I don't know anything about snakes other than to stay away from them, but I want to get this conversation started. :popcorn:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    From this thread:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...all_with_western_cottenmouth_an_hour_ago.html

if you do get bit, remain calm!!! whats done is done, now you must go into self preservation mode. staying calm keeps your heart rate down so the poison wont circulate as fast, also DO NOT ELEVATE the bitten area!!! Keep it below your heart level. Also a good idea it to mark the bite area with a pen or marker and the time. as the swelling increases draw another circle around it and write the time. this will help medical staff big time!!

Also, contrary to popular belief, do not tie off the bitten appendage. This will allow the venom to saty in one area and cause much more tissue damage that could have been avoided. Also remember that alot of venomous bites are dry bites, meaning they do not inject venom. Snakes can decide weather or not to "use" their venom, and often in a defensive strike, they would rather scare off the defender with a quick dry bite to preserve thier much needed venom for an actual prey item. Yes it is true that venom is made continuously in the venom glands, but repeated bites involving invenomation can dry up all venom reserves for a good amount of time.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    also, if you can get a picture of the snake that bit you, then you will be doing yourself all kinds of favors at the hospital. Get to the hospital as quickly as possible. Dont wait around to see if your heart starts beating a mile a minute and your breathing gets labored. Call 911 Immediately!!! If your in the middle of the bush take a GPS or buy a GPS emergency beacon, for $100 bucks you cant beat the extra backup.
    just control your breathing and remain calm. like i said before, whats done is done, now you must focus on NOW!!!

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    Remember that here in central indiana there is a very small percentage of the snakes that you will encounter that are venomous! Most are non-venomous and will still strike and bite but are usually only painful. Add some antibiotic to the bite area and go to the ER for a check out and probably a shot! Please dont go on a killing spree because you see a large snake, around here it is not uncommon to find a black snake in the 4 to 6 foot range, these are very good to have around because if you have them you probably wont have many rats, mice or venomous snakes since they are not very good friends!!!!

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Field care for snake bites has changed a lot lately.
    Do not cut and suck
    Do not use tourniquet
    Do not use ice
    Basically, try to safely take a photo of the snake or the head and get them to a hospital

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Did some reading and there's a lot of talk about snakes these days.
    Let's share what we know about how to identify good vs bad snakes.
    Let's share what we know about what to do when bitten.
    I don't know anything about snakes other than to stay away fromthem, but I want to get this conversation started. :popcorn:

in indiana look for an arrow head shaped head and an eye slit like a cat, those are a couple indicators of the poisonous species here in indiana. I think everyone who will be in the woods or by a pond, etc, probly should visit the state DNR website to get helpful tips. dont take mine or anyone elses word for it when you can do the reserch for yourself. reading good solid info from EXPERTS is truely the best way. There is VERY good sound advice being given in this thread, but I'd still do research if your not familiar with snakes. If you arent handling snakes for a living then dont play with them anyways. move back slowly from all snakes. just not worth taking the chance of being bitten. Visit the DNR site. :twocents:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    OK this is what you really want to do if bitten.....look at the
    fang marks on you where you were bit. Is there 2 puncture
    wounds? This is a sign of a bite from a "bad" snake...take action.
    If the wound is a row of puntures forming a kinda of U shape...this
    is a "good" snake just defending itself. Go on your way.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    Try to get a picture of the snake, paying attention to the head and the patterns on the body of the snake. DO NOT RISK ANOTHER BITE. TRY to immobilize the area bitten, such as if you are bitten on the hand try to splint it loosely... if on the leg forget it due to you having to hike out if your in the bush. wrap in bandage, If you have a marker or pen, make a circle aroud the bite area, and write time and date of bite ( this will help determine swelling and tissue death rate ) , recircle and time / date every hour. No use of tourniquet or ice. Call while you are on your way out of the woods so EMS can be standing by.

Acording to my protocols ( I work in the ems field under the license of a doctor for a well respected local hospital ) If you have been bitten around the house or in an area where you will not have to hike. Try to get a picture of the snake, paying attention to the head and the patterns on the body of the snake. DO NOT RISK ANOTHER BITE. TRY to immobilize the area bitten. Sit down with leg elivated out in front of you,( not above the heart ). wrap in bandage, If you have a marker or pen, make a circle aroud the bite area, and write time and date of bite ( this will help determine swelling and tissue death rate ) , recircle and time / date every hour. No use of tourniquet or ice. And request to go to methodist hospital, as they are the only hospital in central indiana that carries any type of antivenom.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you get a snake bite how much time do you have to get to the hospitol? I know you'd want to get there asap, but does that mean you've go a half hour, or a half day? I know a lot of that depends on what kind of snake bit you, but I'd like a general idea of how much time you've got before you're immobile or on deaths doorstep.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If it bites first, fair is fair and I think you can shoot it. Bear are indangered places too, but if one hurts you, you can hurt it back.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    If you get a snake bite how much time do you have to get to the hospitol? I know you'd want to get there asap, but does that mean you've go a half hour, or a half day? I know a lot of that depends on what kind of snake bit you, but I'd like a general idea of how much time you've got before you're immobile or on deaths doorstep.

getting to the hospital within 1 hour of any serious injury is always recomended. but without anti-venom the most they will do is stabilize you until it arrives or you are transfered to the hospital with it. Local hospitals always call the local zoos to request antivenum too sometimes depending on the snake type. Anti-venum is stored by hospitals even after its expiration date and theres (to my knowledge) no real set amount of antivenum to be given. You could take alittle or you could take a lot to recover. or you may not respond to it. Anti-venom is still not fully understood and is still being tweeked, from what ive learned. :twocents:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    OK this is what you really want to do if bitten.....look at the
    fang marks on you where you were bit. Is there 2 puncture
    wounds? This is a sign of a bite from a "bad" snake...take action.
    If the wound is a row of puntures forming a kinda of U shape...this
    is a "good" snake just defending itself. Go on your way.

I have heard that is true with all poisonous snakes in Indiana at least. I would wonder if that was true though for a non-viper snake like a western or eastern coral ?

Also, does anyone know if the poisonous snakes in Indiana are hemotoxic or neurotoxic. I think that makes a big difference as to how serious. I just don't remember which is worse. I remember we were always warned about the green mohave rattlesnake out in the Mohave desert because it supposedly was very toxic and was both. The Navy corpsmen always told us if bitten, don't bother hollering for them cause it would be pointless. Not sure if true though.

Last edited:

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Well a coral snake doesn't fit the viper and eye deal but you would have to let them chew on you a while to get the poison.

Red/Yellow = dead fellow
    Red/White = its alright..

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    stay away from downed trees or tree limbs , (timber rattle snakes)
    if you smell cucumbers , turn around and leave , this is a sign of a copperhead nesting area , or so I've been told.
    here are 2 pics of a timber rattler in brown county state park , note the color pattern and the solid black tail , all timber rattlers have this tail .

that is my brother in law , yes they walked right past this snake and when he realized what it was he just had to handle it thanks for the pics Phil !

Last edited:
    Top Bottom