• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    In the past few days I've noticed a half dozen rabbits in my yard. I actually like them, they are cute and quite tasty when you can hunt them.

The problem is that it is nearing garden season. I put out a fairly large garden for my family, NOT for the bunnies. I've dealt with this before. Most of the time, the rabbits are not a big problem. They hang out and nibble a bit, not a big deal. Once in a while though, a whole row of two week old beans get ate to the ground. In other words, I can't trust the bunnies to nibble.

My plan is to restring the electric fence with three wires fairly close to the ground. To go with that, I may mix up a tonic with castor oil, hot pepper sauce, etc. to spray on the area surrounding the garden.

Any other ideas?

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I use a electric fence every year. I run 2 or 3 wires and ever year I still get 1 very very small bunny inside there. Every time I step over to work in the garden it hops a few rows over but it never runs out. I figure I can let one eat and get big for later. What ever you do make sure you get the round post and insulators it will make it allot easier for you later. If you run your tiller between the rows you can just loosen up the insulators and push them to the bottom and drive your tiller over. I used chicken wire one time and it was a pain in the butt.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Coyote / fox peepee.

I presume that you currently don't have any dogs or cats?

even if you have an indoor cat, spreading the used kitty litter around the perimeter / between rows MIGHT help.

Might even be able to get a big owl or hawk "dummy" and put it conspicuously near your garden. This'll sure help with birds...not sure about runny babbits.

-J-

OR buy a suppressor for a .22....ahem.

-J-

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I have beagles so I can't have too many free roaming rabbits in the yard, one day last spring I counted 5 at one time. Thats too many!!! Colibri (sp) .22 round no powder or subsonics for the stray cats. I have tried trapping in a havahart trap but rabbits require a bit more in a trap.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IMHO, those are nuisance animals and could be "dealt with" per DNR regulations.

That would be my course of action. If you're in town a good pellet gun can easily dispatch a rabbit with a well-placed shot.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I wish you could catch them and bring them to my place, I love watching rabbits and I've got perfect habitat for them I just too many owls, hawk, and coyotes

during the summer when the cover is on we usually get a pop of 2-3 but by the time the leaves are off they become prey,

My dog protects my garden but the Invisible fence keeps her out of the woods and brush beside the house

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    When I worked at a large greenhouse we put down human hair around the outdoor growing areas. Bunnies smell it and move on. Be warned though, that you will want to secure it down somehow, such as tack it down under a piece of screen.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Cat litter or anything with a human scent if you live someplace where there is an *ahem* discharge law. Plenty of ways around that, too. Just remember that you're putting your LTCH at risk with each shot.

Top Bottom