• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sponge80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2013
    Monrovia
    Ok i'm sure you all get this ? all the time but gonna ask anyway. I'm getting real close to buying a press for reloading but not 100% on which one to buy. I have never done any reloading so have no idea of all parts I will need, plus i'm on a budget a tight budget. I know I won't be able to purchace everything at once but if I don't put the money I have towards something I know something stupid will happen and money will be gone. I have looked into Lee presses and even bought Modern Reloading ( 2nd Edition ). Single stage seems to be my best bet from what i've read and from what people have told me, being that I am wanting hunting rounds mostly. As of now I will be reloading 270 win, 22-250, starting with 270 because between me and a buddy of mine we have about 100 rounds of empty brass.

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo
    A decent scale is important. RCBS 505 is kind of the industry standard.

A Cartridge gauge helps keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    Do you shoot enough to justify the expense? I started loading recently and shoot pistol (.45) about 2000 rds a week, but for hunting I only shoot around 250 22-250 a year. It would have taken several years to recoup the cost just for that.

If it makes sense then the LEE is a good place to start, a GOOD scale, calipers cartridge gauge and a hammer puller are where I would start.

Stryker1025

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2013
    Brownsburg
    sponge 80- I've been reloading for a year now, and my advice is to start by reading "Linkpimp" write up on this site "so you want to start reloading and don't know where to begin". This is a very thorough discussion on reloading, starting purchase on a budget, etc; its at the top of the page on this forum for Reloading. For what you're doing, a single stage is the best place to start: Lee, RCBS Rock Chucker, Redding Big Boss II are a few to look at. Before I replied to your post I checked out Ebay and you have several Lee and RCBS single stage press for $100, or you could order a kit that includes some of the start up items mentioned above ($200 -$350). If you're going to buy new, and in the Indianapolis area, I'd go to Profire Arms & Supply and talk with Andrew and the crew and let them help you. Pricing is fair and the teaching they can give you is excellent. Then take a class with them on reloading- Highly Recommended, cost is low and before you invest your money, it would be great to have some hands on experience from them and see if its something you'll enjoy.
    You will need calipers ($60 - $100 you'll get a good set) and reloading dies (Lee, RCBS, Redding), the more precision you want the more the die will cost ($45 -$90 up). You should manage a good start for around $500+-. Hope this helps, reloading is a lot of fun and many folks on this site will help you as you're learning

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    For what you describe, a single-stage press is the way to go. When the time comes and you have some of your equipment, send me a PM and I'll be glad to step you through setting it all up the first time.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    There are several things you can buy before you make a decision on a press.
    Get the Lyman reloading book first and read it.
    Scale
    calipers
    dies for the caliber you want to start with. I would recommend starting with a pistol caliber.
    Primers, brass, bullets, powder - buy powder and primers locally to avoid haz-mat shipping charges.
    couple of bullet trays

ilcaveman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    elizabeth
    The Dillon 550 is the way to go. I load 9mm to 375 H&H mag, easy change over. I sold two presses ( lee and Lyman ). If you plan to reload for the long haul buy the Dillon.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The guy is starting out to load 270 and 22-250, with 100 rounds of brass between him and his buddy...why in the world would he go straight to a 550? :dunno:

The D550 is a great press, for guys shooting a fair amount of semi-auto ammo. For loading ammo that will be fired from precision bolt-action rifles, the extra cost and speed of the progressive is not needed. Any one of the cast iron single-stage presses is the way to go.

sturge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Madison County
    Profire Arms & Supply offers a class for beginners. They go over what is needed and what are extras. It's a good class I took it a couple of months ago.

sponge80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2013
    Monrovia
    Thanks for the info guys, sounds like I need to buy the Lymans reloading book. I don't want to get to expensive right off the bat just in case reloading is not for me. But if I get in to it I have a few other calibers I will be reloading also 357 mag, 44 mag, 9mm, and I am tossing around the idea of a 308 or 30-06.

jbz400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    United States
    Im with broom. Single stage is what to start with. If you like it you can always step up to the 550. Even if you do like it and get the 550 you will still use the single on small quantities

briand212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Putnam County IN
    if your on a super tight budget and want a single stage press, the Lee anniversary kit is probably the cheapest way to go.. you will still need, dies and a good set of calipers..
    as mentioned Profire is a great place to go, they will walk you thru all the equipment options and what is needed vs nice to have. The classes they offer can you get rolling your own safe and accurate loads quick!

crazyjz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Getting started in reloading.

if your on a super tight budget and want a single stage press, the Lee anniversary kit is probably the cheapest way to go.. you will still need, dies and a good set of calipers..
    as mentioned Profire is a great place to go, they will walk you thru all the equipment options and what is needed vs nice to have. The classes they offer can you get rolling your own safe and accurate loads quick!

I would not jump into the purchasing end of your adventure in reloading just yet. While you have received some sound advice, in my opinion, you have not yet received enough advice. There are many quality items that can be purchased used from various sources that will never need replacing. Equipment is expensive and the last thing you would want to do is buy something that you outgrow in a year or two.

Determine what your likely reloading needs will be. If you are a high volume handgun shooter, a single stage press will wear you out in a hurry. If you primarily enjoy loading better than factory ammunition for high quality target or hunting rifles, there are certain single stage presses that are easier and better to use than some others.

Do your homework and then spend your money. I would NOT buy the LEE starter kit!

sponge80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2013
    Monrovia
    Bought my press this afternoon, I went with the Lyman t-mag. Now need to build a bench and collect the rest of my hardware and tools.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    That's a good choice, given that you added in some pistol rounds to the mix of stuff you'll wind up reloading. Remember to read the instructional chapters in Lyman's 49th manual before even setting up the press. Prepare to become addicted! :)

RipkinC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Indy
    We at Profire would be glad to help, just call or swing by. Our classes are full right now but should have more coming towards the end of February.
    ps the TMag is an awesome press, good choice

sponge80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2013
    Monrovia
    Ripkinc I will be chatting with you guys a lot I'm sure. I bought the t-mag from you guys, it was the demo you had to take off the bench. I'm being told that I should start with handgun loads before jumping in on rifle loads, is this a good idea or does it matter. Remember I have no experience reloading.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I think it is easier to start reloading with a rimmed pistol case, like a 357 Magnum, but the main thing is to really know what you're doing. If you aren't sure, read the book again, take a class or find a mentor.

I live over in Mooresville and would be glad to come over some afternoon and help you step through the process the first time. Once you see how easy it is and get comfortable with the process, you'll wonder why you ever worried about it. :)

Top Bottom