What the hell happened here (rhetorical)? And what do I do about it (genuine)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The finish Remington used during this period is especially prone to doing this.
    Google Remington Finish Rust.. and be amazed at what comes up.

Towards the end, it got so bad that new guns were rusting before being sold..

Im shocked no one really has brought this up. We had some 870s at a Scout camp for shotgun merit badge, we had to dunk in oil to keep them from getting all sorts of rusty patches...

Its not a true Parkerized finish (Like the military does). Gun people call it the Express finish. Remington cheaped out, and it rusts if you look even cross eyed at it.

Seriously, the amount of rust complaints of the Remington finish is pretty obvious.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    870s, at least the newer "Express" models, have a parkerized finish. Parkerizing provides a matte, rough surface, and resists rust by trapping oil in the pores of the metal. The caveat to that is, you need to oil it! The outside of the gun needs to be wiped down with an oil cloth to provide a nice thin film across the entire surface.

We have a bunch of them at work that look like that because they live in the racks in the cars, and guys don't take them out and periodically wipe them down. And once the oil dries out, it'll rust very quickly. I left my personal gun in my truck toolbox overnight one time and when I took it out it looked a lot like yours. It cleaned up just fine, though, and was a good reminder to keep it oiled.

Yours doesn't look too far gone. Like others have suggested, get some fine steel wool or a bronze brush (I prefer a brush because it won't leave little metal particles behind, which will eventually rust, taking you right back to where to started), oil it, and give that thing a good rub down. Then wipe it off and hopefully it'll look like new. Then just keep it oiled.

ETA: also, don't ever store guns in a soft case, even overnight. Those things hold moisture, and will quickly rust any unprotected metal inside of them.
    Its a cheap facsimile, whatever Remington used. Guns of this age are infamous for finish rust.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Its a cheap facsimile, whatever Remington used. Guns of this age are infamous for finish rust.
    It's definitely not the best finish but it works just fine if you keep them oiled. After that first incident when I learned from my mistake, mine has never done it again. Neither has the one in my squad car.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It's definitely not the best finish but it works just fine if you keep them oiled. After that first incident when I learned from my mistake, mine has never done it again. Neither has the one in my squad car.
    Yeah its true if you slather them in oil.. we had it worse, we had to use the things daily for shotgun merit badge all summer then keep them in a shed. We had synthetic stocks so we literally dumped whatever lubricant oil we could find on them. (not WD40 mind you). But we could get these giant buckets of some sort of lubricant donated to us. We dunked one end in, and they the other LOL.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The finish Remington used during this period is especially prone to doing this.
    Google Remington Finish Rust.. and be amazed at what comes up.

Towards the end, it got so bad that new guns were rusting before being sold..

Its not a true Parkerized finish

Express finish. Remington cheaped out,
    At deer camp one year we could watch an 870 express rust while standing around the fire. We nick named the gun “Rusty” . He shot a very nice 10 point buck with it at a good distance with buckhammer slugs. It misted and light rained all weekend and Monday morning when he scored.
    He used that gun for years afterward (till he switched to 30/30) but he had it finished in a burnt copper color. We still call it rusty. He still has it but Remington did send him 20 shells sling and a hat along with a shipping box to send it back. It never went back.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    At deer camp one year we could watch an 870 express rust while standing around the fire. We nick named the gun “Rusty” . He shot a very nice 10 point buck with it at a good distance with buckhammer slugs. It misted and light rained all weekend and Monday morning when he scored.
    He used that gun for years afterward (till he switched to 30/30) but he had it finished in a burnt copper color. We still call it rusty. He still has it but Remington did send him 20 shells sling and a hat along with a shipping box to send it back. It never went back.
    That sounds about right. Honestly, if you don't want to fight rust all the time.. Cerakote it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    UPDATE:

A good friend of mine saw this post and called to give me an education on this finish. He explained, as many of you have pointed out, this is NOT a Parkerized finish, and does NOT stand up to moisture well at all.

Welp, here we are. As Leadeye will attest, Distilled White Vinegar is great at drawing rust off metal. So, I applied a paper towel soak to the receiver and barrel breach to see what I could get off.
    20240823_161313.jpg
    20240823_161531.jpg

And, this is what I got. Took the rust AND the finish down to the white. No brush or steel wool necessary.
    20240823_233900.jpg

So, Cerakote, here I come!

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    It's called being lazy. Thats why everything comes out of the gun bags and at least wiped down after it gets home. A Rig-Rag is all you need for a quick wipe down. Also why I don't let the kids use my guns.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Interior moisture isn't limited to soft side cases. Humidity infiltrates all air spaces, that's why we all have desiccant packs in our household (controlled climate) gun safes.

A hard case with foam liner will absorb humidity if left open on a humid day. Upon returning home on a humid day and unpacking guns, I will leave my hard side cases wide open in our den for a couple days to absorb the lower household humidity.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    It's called being lazy. Thats why everything comes out of the gun bags and at least wiped down after it gets home. A Rig-Rag is all you need for a quick wipe down. Also why I don't let the kids use my guns.
    You want clean and oiled guns? Have two sons a that are/were Infantry Marines. LOL

One doesn't hear Rig-Rag very often anymore. Is it still a chunk of hair on sheep skin?

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    In the guys kids defense, he does have an Albi here, the Remington express finish is horrifically bad. I know.. you have to have the things swimming in oil to prevent rust.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    UPDATE:

A good friend of mine saw this post and called to give me an education on this finish. He explained, as many of you have pointed out, this is NOT a Parkerized finish, and does NOT stand up to moisture well at all.

Welp, here we are. As Leadeye will attest, Distilled White Vinegar is great at drawing rust off metal. So, I applied a paper towel soak to the receiver and barrel breach to see what I could get off.
    View attachment 375233
    View attachment 375234

And, this is what I got. Took the rust AND the finish down to the white. No brush or steel wool necessary.
    View attachment 375235

So, Cerakote, here I come!
    What color ya gonna do? Maybe a camo finish?

Top Bottom