What the Best Knife for Deer field dressing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    If you want a good tool that you will want to use all year spend some money and get a good knife. My Busse's will still shave after field dressing, chopping wood, and they're rust resistant enough that you don't have to worry about blood being on them.

You most likely spend a good bit on the a nice gun that you use a few times a year, get a good knife that you can use daily.

SAR4LE5.jpg

busse-combat-sar4-le.jpg

So far this is the best advice in the whole thread.
    :rockwoot:

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I use a razor knife, carpet knife whatever they are called. I use the type that retracts and extends so it can be as long or as short as i want it. And it has snap off blades. If it gets dull I can just snap it off against a rock or a piece of gear and right back to work. Mine is bright yellow. It won't be breaking any rib or pelvic bones but I keep a big cheap Remington knife in the bag in case I decide to do that.

jjohnson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    I have a puma deer skinner with a gut hook that I like very well. It stays sharp gutting three deer before resharpening is needed.

old man Bill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    The Indiana DNR has a super web site video, actually a YouTube vid, and they show, and explain that they use only a $10 filet knife from WalMart. I attended their program last year and the two guys doing the demonstration used that knife for everything from skinning to cutting up cooked venison. I have a lot of "hunting" knives and the one I use is a folder Buck that holds a super sharp edge. I am considering the knife INDNR suggests just to see how it works for me.
    Bill

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I've used a Buck 110 for all my field dressing. Well, except when I forgot it and used my Spyderco. I also keep a Wyoming knife and a Gerber T-handle saw in my kit. I may get 'em out and I may not.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I use a short stout Gerber, don't know the name of it, blade about four inches. Very sharp, a butt out-they work great, and a pair of sugical gloves.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom