What should I tell this guy??? ((About Deer Hunting))

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    If thats his outlook on hunting than he is missing all the extra's. Hunting is not just about shooting or seeing deer. Its about being in nature and its hard work to get a deer. If he wants a gaurantee than tell him to spend a couple thousand on a proffesional guided hunt. If he wants a good time with his buddys and a chance at getting a deer than tell him to come along.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    A buddy of my cousins was telling him how he didnt want to go down south with us during opening wkd of shotgun this year if we dont know FOR SURE is he is going to see a deer!! I got a little upset when he told me that! I just need to figure out what I can say to the guy to get him to understand that....THATS HUNTING!! You never really know For Sure! I dont feel like hunting is just All About Shooting an Animal and going home! Any ideas on what we should say to him>>???:bash:

I would just laugh my butt off while walking away. They are wild animals with minds and habits of their own and there is no way to guarantee you will see one let alone a guarantee you will get a shot at one or even kill one? I killed my first deer last year after 2 unsuccessful years, I say unsuccessful because I didn't have a shot or kill one. I did however learn a lot the first two years and feel it prepped me for the opportunities I have had since then.

bucmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    HE MAY GO AND HE MAY BE IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME HAVE THE WIND RIGHT GET LUCKY GET A NICE BUCK AND HUNT FOR YEARS AND NEVER GET A LARGER DEER.GIVE HIM THE KNOWLEDGE,SHOW HIM THE WAY IF HE GETS THE FEVER HE.S HOOKED IF NOT LET HIM STAY HOME

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    leave him at home, its called hunting not killing, if it was that easy everyone would do it, hunting to me lasts 365 days a year from hanging stands to food plots to scouting all year to shed hunting, i love it all, there is never a gaurantee that you'll see anything, i usually see deer everytime but i have countless hours of work i put into it, sitting all day in a stand before season to see if its in the right place or if i have to move, all together i got about 20 stands out on many different properties and i sat in everyone before season most of em all day just to watch them and them possibly move or stay, its so much work but i love it its not a hobby its an obsession

disengaged

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Madison County
    Well, I think if he's a young guy...he may benefit from a hunting trip. Once he's out in the woods, he may figure out that there is much more enjoyment in hunting than just harvesting the deer.

I took my son for the first time this year and on the drive down, all he talked about was how many deer he was going to take and how big the buck would be. The end of the first day, he didn't even see a deer - and he was really disappointed. The end of the second day, he didn't see a deer - and he was disappointed, but was having a good time. Driving home on day three, it was a great trip and he can't wait to go back next weekend.

257robertsimp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    I would never offer again. People who think like that will want to jacklight deer if they don't get one in a couple days, then they rationalize it by saying they deserve it.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Hand him a sledge and take him to a slaughterhouse? He can get his fun in there?

Seriously, I don't think this is about blood lust, it is about modern laziness.

It's about the TIVO hunting experience where you walk in late, get handed a zeroed gun, have the deer led out in front of you with a leash and nail it while it is tied to a tree.

It is about saying to his friends that he has "been there/done that" and move on to the next item on the checklist that gives him 10 minutes off of the couch.

It's about taking on the image of something, and then claiming "authenticity" which is the modern way.

It's about thinking that nothing is worth doing 100% if you can get by at 75% and really only put out 15% effort and complain when that is not the 150% experience they expected they were "owed".

It's about modern man.

And it's the kind of thing that is killing our nation.

So either change him as a person, or don't take him out.

The first step might be to laugh at him. Nicely.

Top Bottom