• Serpa fate

• Total voters

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    After reading and hearing opionated reviews, and running the holster through some extended dry practice and bluegun drills, I've concluded on my own (to the shock of many reading this) that the risk of an ND is too great to even continue practicing with this holster as is (or any active-retention rig). Upon step 2 of the [four step] draw stroke, the index finger MUST ride alongside the slide in a relaxed state. The Serpa not only puts the index almost over the trigger, but by the time the trigger guard has cleared, the remaining indexing finger tension applied to press the button could also have sufficient momentum to curl inside and be "applied" to the trigger.

That being said I have 3 options:

1. Sell the holster used (in spite my personal judgement of it being inherently unsafe)
    2. Pitch the holster out of conscience, be sorry I spent the money, lesson learned (and leg saved)
    3. Keep the holster, but remove the retention button

Option 3 would be the preferable one, but is the holster really all that usable once that is done?

The only reason I got the Serpa was that it was relatively inexpensive, obviously had good retention, was belt wearable and most importantly had user-end adjustable cant.

(If you have a 4th option, comment below)

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sell it. Its not like its a rare and exotic item. If someone wants one, they'll get one regardless of if they get it from you or not.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I would trade it off. Or you might be able to use it on the outside of a pack or something. Maybe take off the paddle and use it to cover the gun in a range bag

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    People buy them and use them. Someone would perceive benefit from obtaining yours at a less than new price. I'd give them the opportunity to make their own judgement.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    I like /use them for range. I removed the lock ,on one and it works fine. Saved me the cost of a new holster. Like was stated -what is it for? Might find a buyer here?

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I'd keep in and use it, but that's just me. I have one for my Beretta 92 and Glock 19. Although in the past couple years I've gravitated back to using leather holsters.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    File down the retention button and mount it in your car. Do you have a center console? You could mount it on the passenger side if it's right handed.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Option 4, learn how to properly draw from it and use it. I do not know what is hard about using the pad of your extended finger instead of the tip of your finger.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    After reading and hearing opionated reviews, and running the holster through some extended dry practice and bluegun drills, I've concluded on my own (to the shock of many reading this) that the risk of an ND is too great to even continue practicing with this holster as is (or any active-retention rig).

There are retention systems on the market which do not present this risk. See Safariland for some good examples.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Have several Serpas, used them extensively for years, never had a single issue with any of them under any scenario or set of circumstances.

Sorry, can't blame the holster for 'User error' any more than I could blame the handgun.

Pretty simple: gotta be smarter than the holster! :lmfao:

JMO - YMMV.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Option 4, learn how to properly draw from it and use it. I do not know what is hard about using the pad of your extended finger instead of the tip of your finger.

Have several Serpas, used them extensively for years, never had a single issue with any of them under any scenario or set of circumstances.

Sorry, can't blame the holster for 'User error' any more than I could blame the handgun.

Pretty simple: gotta be smarter than the holster! :lmfao:

JMO - YMMV.

I agree completely, have used my SERPA regularly without any risk of an ND or small child disarming me. BUT to each their own and it's probably best if you're uncomfortable with it to not use it. There are stories of people's firearms getting locked in, having ND's, etc... with them but there are those same stories with other holsters with retention and even long-guns are involved in ND's so to blame the holster seems a little audacious given all the push to blame the driver not the car (ie blame the shooter not the gun). I don't think you should hesitate to sell the holster, just because it's not safe for you to use doesn't mean it's not safe for someone else. Just do your due diligence and make sure they get all the packaging with usage instructions or if not that you tell them to research it's proper use prior to using it so they don't do something silly, use it wrong and make it to the front page.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I read all these "holster of death" posts and how training groups have banned the serpa from their schools. If you're using it right, a straight finger pressing the release is still a straight finger once the weapon is drawn. Not a real hard concept of physical action to perform. The design of the serpa is so that when your finger is in the safe position along the frame of the weapon, it just happens to lay on the release too.

If you don't like it, sell it. Or, retrain yourself how to draw from it properly. On a passive retention holster, where does your finger go?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I picked option 2. Not nearly so much about the risk of ND, yes it is enhanced with this holster, but as with many things, (like appendix carry) the risk can be mitigated with proper training and reps.(which of course most won't do, hence the problem) My big fault with this holster is its known problem with locking the gun in and not giving it up. No thank you.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I have used mine for the past three years without fail. I would hesitate a little if I used a pistol if it had an extremely light trigger pull. Beyound that as with most skills its a matter of training. The option to use it in the car as a vehicle holster is a good choice.

Top Bottom