What should I buy for my wife to carry while jogging?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Indianapolis - Broad Ripple
    The other day my wife asked me what kind of gun she should carry if she were to get her LTCH (which I've been asking her to do for a long time now). With the recent bodies found floating around BR and people being attacked on the Monon, I think she has been taking my request more seriously now. I haven't yet decided on what to get her for carrying, and I have some time before she gets her license, so I'm wondering what you guys (and girls) would suggest.

Here is my criteria, and its pretty strict.

1- A .22lr, .22mag, or maybe a .32acp. I have a keltec p3at and the recoil is too much to be comfortable for her, and though I personally wouldn't carry anything smaller than .380, I'd rather my wife be armed with .22lr than with nothing.

2- She wants it primarily for running/jogging. It has to be super compact, as she is terrified of someone being able to see it sticking out of her running clothes. It also would be great if it could fit into an armband, but that is probably just wishful thinking.

3- I would want it to be DAO so there's no fiddling with safeties and hammers and all that stuff if she had to draw it. Simplicity is key here.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! And if I'm crazy for thinking that this "perfect" pistol can be found let me know, I won't be offended. Thanks!

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    To be quite honest I would suggest a good OC spray, a well known / lit path. Maybe even a strong lad to run with her ( you!) or a group. Carrying a gun jogging sucks. I have tried it a few times with varying sizes firearms. The best luck came with a keltec 32acp and it was only so so. Now for carry in general well thats a whole another ball game. so I'm gonna stick to one question for now.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    I'd not recommend she carry it but I"d vote German Shepard :D. Barring that, a DAO .22mag Derringer. I don't know how much...real estate she'll have for covering it but I can palm my Hi-Standard double barrel, and I've small hands.

Mechy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Company and the German Shepard both sound like good ideas. If you're still looking for a pistol though, something like that Taurus (above) would probably fit the bill nicely.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    pepper spray gun Honestly though, I can't say that I "enjoy" shooting my kel tech p3at. IMHO its a get the heck out of a really f*8**ed up situation. Its my little pocket rocket. Is the recoil just uncomfortable to shoot? Can she shoot it? Even better question is your wife the kinda woman who would actually pull the trigger on the perp? If not a pepper spray gun is the only way to go. Nothing would be worse than knowing you gave your wife a gun, she drew it, didn't pull the trigger, and her own gun was used against her.

I remember an ex of mine wanted a gun, so I bought her one. Made sure she got her permit. One day we were talking after some country shooting. I asked her, so if it came down to it and she truly felt your life was in danger would she use her gun. She said "oh sure would".. I asked well tell me what you would do.. She said she "would draw it and hope that it would scare them off..." I asked well would you pull the trigger.. she said "more than likely not, I couldn't dream of hurting or killing another person", even if it mnt saving her life.. Needless to say. She lost her carrying privlages.. Well I guess she c0uld still carry if she has a permit today, but i took the gun away from her and replaced it with mace.. That she said she would use as it would be unlikely to hurt someone too bad.. I am not saying people should be "trigger happy" or d

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... Criteria ... .22lr, .22mag, or maybe a .32acp. I have a keltec p3at and the recoil is too much to be comfortable for her ...

I'd stay away from the rimfires if it's the only gun she'll be carrying in favor of the greater reliability of the centerfire cartridge. That leaves you with the 32 acp given your criteria. You didn't list the .25 acp, but the .32 is bigger and if she can handle it she should carry the heavier caliber just on principle.

AND, pepper spray. When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

She needs another force option for things that don't need shooting. Dogs come quickly to mind when running, but it applies to 2-legged dogs too. Shooting a dog often results in a problematic aftermath, when all the dog really needed was a good shot of OC.

msr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Indianapolis - Broad Ripple
    Thanks for the input guys! We have an English shepherd instead of a German, but it doesn't go with my wife on every run, especially the 10+ mile ones. I got her some OC spray a while back but she rarely takes it. Maybe now that she is more safety conscious she'll start taking it with her more often until we can get something more formidable, whether or not its a firearm.

andfc

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It's pretty hard to conceal anything securely where it's accessible, unless she can do a fanny pack, which then she could carry something normal size. I use one of these http://bit.ly/IyVvSu although I don't think women would find it comfortable, and it's still somewhat conspicuous.

Running with OC spray in the hand is a good option - spray in the hand beats a gun that is so tucked away she can't get to it when she needs it.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    ^ +1 for the P32.

.22 Mag > .25 ACP > .22LR. For me a it's a toss up between the .32 ACP and the .22 Mag... from a handgun.

Also, I do not recommend ANY rimfire semi-autos for self defense. Too many ways for common failures to take the gun out of the fight. A .22 Mag revolver IMO is equal to a pocket .32 ACP.

Pepper spray in the hand is a good idea too. Sabre Red or Fox Labs.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Little bit shorter, but wider than p3at, but recoil killer. Taurus PT22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X48d84l4IK4

I don't know about the polymer pt22's
    But if I was gonna give you just one piece of advise it would be don't even consider a POS like the pt22.
    I actually watched one basicly fall into pieces in the first 50 rounds or so. basicly had it given to me, I tried to talk to taurus who charged me for the parts, but it has been like 2 years and I never did receive the parts that I paid for!!!!!!!!
    the grips broke in half, at which time the safety parts flew all over (spring, detent etc.), the trigger bar cam out I guess and lodged the trigger return spring in the gun. So no safety, no trigger return, broken grips. I got it kinda rigged up to where it should have shot and what do I get.... Broken firing pin? Yep.
    I don't even remember what else went wrong with that thing, but like I said a freind of mine purchased it brand new and this all happened in well under 100 Rnds! The gun was a total peice of crap and Taurus customer service was worse than the quality of their product...
    I tried to call them again, but lost the order paper now.... I wouldn't even want them to send me any of their junk anyway, but they did rip me off....

Top Bottom