• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nater30/30

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Grant County
    Yeah, I have a definite soft spot for the cigarette size caliber, probably always will. Ironically my favorite's always been the good 'ole 30/30, the irony being I've never lived in a state where it was legal for deer. My favorite launching devise-the Marlin 336. They're all special, 30-06, .308, .303, the Russian gals, 7.65 Argentine(close enough lol), etc...what's your all's favorite?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Swiss Rubin's right? I was always curious bout them. Are they as accurate as the rumor, and is any of that good looking Swiss surplus ammo still available, and is it Boxer primed? I come by the rifles fairly often.
    Yes, they are that accurate, yes the GP11 ammo is still available, but it's not boxer primed unfortunately. And what the heck, since we're throwing 7.5 out there I also like 8mm... :):

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Yes, they are that accurate, yes the GP11 ammo is still available, but it's not boxer primed unfortunately. And what the heck, since we're throwing 7.5 out there I also like 8mm... :):
    They are generally more accurate than the shooter. But good luck finding a nice one these days. They are a hot commodity and one will pay the price for it.

Can't reload the GP11 ammo, but you can re-size the .284 brass.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I like all the 308 based caliber cases including the 308. My favorite is the 358 Winchester. Next would be the 243 Winchester. They are all great rounds and not barrel burners. They are easy on the equipment and the person shooting them.

The 30-06 versions of the same calibers give you 100 or so FPS more than the 308 based cases. They burn more powder and give you more recoil. I don't think that what you gain is worth the added weight and kick on the shoulder.

I also like the 30-30. Used in a single shot rifle it can be loaded to almost 308 loadings with a lot better bullets than you can use in a lever action. I have always wanted a Remington 788 in 30-30. I have just not been willing to pay the $700 or $800 I have seen them priced at.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They are generally more accurate than the shooter. But good luck finding a nice one these days. They are a hot commodity and one will pay the price for it.

Looks like that 284 brass isn't all that easy to come by? (Just checked a couple of sites though)

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend

You can buy boxer primed Privi ammo for the Swiss and reload the brass. I do. Until recently I never shot GP11 through my K31. GP11 seems to be pretty good ammo - equivalent to my handloads.

Also, Privi and Norma supply new brass for the Swiss 7.5. Norma is very expensive and no one seems to ever have the Privi brass - but the Privi ammo is usually available online.

If you reload Swiss 7.5, only full length size - no neck sizing. Bolt closing does not have the cam-over, force the cartridge to chamber ability that allows neck sizing.

These rifles have the shortest chambers of any military surplus rifle I have seen and have never had corrosive ammo shot through them! They are known shooters!

http://www.swissrifles.com/

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Looks like that 284 brass isn't all that easy to come by? (Just checked a couple of sites though)
    Probably not. It wasn't exactly common stuff in the brass bins when ammo wasn't its own currency. At this point, we just suck it up and by the GP11 when we can get it in large quantities.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    My favorite .30 is the "U.S. Rifle Cal 30 M1", 30-06. The 7.62 x 51 is also right there, my M14 is special since its the one gun I actually built myself.

Top Bottom