• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    Smith & Wesson Registered Magnum with nickel finish. Only 170 out of 5200 were factory nickel. Also a S&W Highway Patrolman in factory nickel. The book sez they are very rare. No, they are not for sale.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't know how rare but today we had a pair of Beretta Diamond Pigeons. The 687 EELL model. One was numbered 1 and the other 2.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    There have been lots of them made in all the years since they started manufacturing them, but I have on several occasions shot my late grandpa's Ithaca 37, but what makes it unique is that he bought it in 1937 (the year that it was introduced), and the serial number is 368!

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Nothing too rare here, but I've shot some fun ones. Full auto Thompson and MP5. Couple FA's, one a .501 caliber. Shot a John Linebaugh built 500 while spending time with that gentleman. Shot a trap door Springfield (probably not original) at 1000 yards. A 327 magnum Ruger Bearcat. Held a S&W m-frame 22.

Nope, nothing too crazy.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    There have been lots of them made in all the years since they started manufacturing them, but I have on several occasions shot my late grandpa's Ithaca 37, but what makes it unique is that he bought it in 1937 (the year that it was introduced), and the serial number is 368!
    Although they may not be rare, there is nothing like shooting an old family heirloom.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    How true. One of my fondest memories from shooting was watching my youngest daughter shoot my grandfather's service revolver for the first time.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm sure a lot of folks would not call it rare, but I actually have a "one-of-a-kind" rifle.
    It's a Winchester 1885 "Low-Wall" that started life as a .22short.
    Sometime eons ago someone traded out the factory stock for a serious bench rest stock in what appears to be cherry.
    They then swapped out the barrel. It is now spitting out .22lr.
    This little rifle is a single-shot, falling block action that is just too cool to explain.
    It has taken the place of my 10/22 for fun range time, and it conserves that ever more rare .22lr rounds.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I've been very fortunate and have shot all kinds of cool FA's over the years, but I think the rarest was a post-86 Stechkin machine pistol with matching shoulder stock. The Solothurn 20mm that some other posters mentioned is high on my bucket list, as is the Lahti L-39.

Other rare, strange, or obscure things:
    Cogswell & Harrison "Certus" rifle in 450/400 3-1/4 Nitro Express
    Frank Wesson "Two-Trigger" tip-up rifle in .32 long rimfire
    Remington #2 rolling block in .38 long rimfire (yes, I actually located some ammo that would go off!)

When I have time again and the weather cooperates, I plan to take pictures and shooting notes of some of my other weird old guns, mostly foreign military stuff. Hopefully, the other members here will find it interesting/informative/and maybe even helpful since I'm going to be doing load development.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Although they may not be rare, there is nothing like shooting an old family heirloom.

Every once in a great while, I get out my dad's 1937 Winchester Model 62 pump .22 rifle.

That brings up another thing. How many INGOers remember shooting an actual .22 rifle at a shooting gallery at the fair?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That brings up another thing. How many INGOers remember shooting an actual .22 rifle at a shooting gallery at the fair?

Does an amusement park count?

As a little shaver I remember shooting at King's Island. I *think* I was shooting the caseless ammo from Daisy. Mid-70s.

Anyone know what King's Island was using say '74, '75?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Every once in a great while, I get out my dad's 1937 Winchester Model 62 pump .22 rifle.

Some times I'm reminded just how old I am. This is one of those times.:fogey:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I don't really know if this rare but I have shot a friend's .357 Colt Python snubbie that he inherited from his detective dad.
    I let him shoot my P95 and he really liked it. Would not trade though......

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well, I have fired a REAL SVD, PKM and a CETME. As I said these were real ones and not neuterd down to semi0auto or sporterized like a lot of other SVDs you can get. I have no ieda really how many rare guns I have fired. I don't know what rare is here so it isn't easy to say. Reading through the thread has helped though.

I owned and fired a Jo-Lo-Ar, Spanish Calvary pistol but sold it with the rest of the ollwection 6 years ago. I owned a lot of rare firearms as a collector too.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    I think I will add two more------I own,and shoot these------"Ball and Williams"(Kentucky)44RF-------------Number 5 Ballard "Pacific" 40-82------

Keep this going----I have a few more to add

tallend

Top Bottom