• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In this market Low-balls are usually flippers. By low/sell high. I always price my stuff more than fairly as I want it to sell. If I get an extreme low-ball my response is usually...:rofl:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I seen a car I wanted to buy and the guy wanted $11,900. I wanted to offer him $8500 cash but thought I might offend him....maybe I will reconsider. Would that be a low ball offer?

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    I seen a car I wanted to buy and the guy wanted $11,900. I wanted to offer him $8500 cash but thought I might offend him....maybe I will reconsider. Would that be a low ball offer?

Thats a little over 25% but close enough to not be an insult to me when dealing with a larger amount like that. But everyone is different.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    on a car, with an asking price of 11,900 assuming its reasonably close to market value... I would probably start around 7k. Cars, guns, and machinery typically don't end up with as much bargaining as accessories, toys, furniture do.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Who the heck knows? That could still be more than it's worth. To me, a lowball has nothing to do with the asking price and everything to do with the market price.

If the Car typically sells around $10,000, $8,500 isn't a lowball. If it typically sells around $15,000 and the guy priced it to sell, $8,500 would seem like a lowball.

But so what? The guy can take it or not.

I used to sell cars and people would come in wanting trade in value of "at least what I owe"- which was typically at least 50% more than the car was worth retail (word to the wise, make every effort to never owe more on an item than what it is worth). These were the days when $149 down and $149/month for 84 months were common. Bare minimum down and just making the required payments, you're underwater BEFORE you drive off the lot and get deeper every second. If someone wanted a truck I was selling, my trade offer may be insultingly low to them....but that's just because they have a screwed up view of what their car is worth.

Last edited:

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    It really depends on the item. If someone is putting forward a ridiculous offer on something of value I'll thank them for their time. If it's something I want rid of I'll consider it.

Anything lower then mid-thigh! I would consider low-balling.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SkullDaddy.45 again."

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    There have been a few times when I've offered more than 25-30% off of asking price, but I have also offered an explanation. Usually, it is for something that I don't really "need" but have been keeping an eye out for. So, I'll simply preface the offer with the explanation that it is only worth it for me if I can get it for $X, since it wasn't something I was planning on getting right away.

The seller may think it is a line, but I'm telling the truth. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I've never been ignored.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    OKay, say a guy is listing a Sig P938 for $650. If the exact same pistol has been listed for several weeks at PSA for $499, is it lowballing him to offer $450? That would more than a 1/3 off of his asking more.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    When it comes to used items, I don't think anything is really a lowball. Just that you consider your stuff more valuable than the other person. I lowball all the time on craigslist and its turned out quite nice for me. As a rule of thumb I offer 33 percent of the asking price. If the laugh at me they probably wouldn't have came down low enough anyways. If they counter, I will counter with 50 percent, and offer a date and time I can pick the item up. If bargaining continues then I slowly work my way up to my max that I would be willing to spend for that item.

Wow. Please remind me to never be your realtor.

33%.... really? Jeez.

Top Bottom