• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I stated out reloading with an old Lyman 310 hand tool, which dates me no doubt. I then went to a Lyman All American turret set-up and it suited my needs extremely well for a good many years. I had my .357 and .35 Remington die sets in it, and could start turning out either with just a change of shell holder and resetting my powder measure. Running by the "batch" system, 100 -200 rds of my standard .357 load took a bit over an hour to load checking charges every 20 rds.

I still recommend a turret set-up to beginners, as it offers a lot of versatility and convenience for those who want to turn out a moderate number of rds. in more than one caliber. A close second would be one of the newer single-stage set-ups which use a 'quick change' bushing sytem such as Hornady's "Lock 'n Load" or Lee's "Breech Lock". No readjustment of every die needed every time you use it, and you can run batches nearly as quickly as with a turret with them.

As was said, the right kit can offer some not-inconsiderable savings over putting a complete set-up together piecemeal. Since servicable digital electronic powder scales have become so relatively inexpensive and widely available, having one to double-check your balance beam's reading is cheap insurance especially for the novice, IMHO.

g3man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Thanks for the info. I have actually been looking at some of the turret style presses and they apprear to be a pretty attractive option. Do you know if Lee offers those in the Breech Lock set up.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    AFAIK, Lee doesn't make a "Breech Lock" turret set-up. The way their turret presses are designed, it really wouldn't offer any practical advantages. Changing-out a turret takes literally seconds and extra turrets are less expensive than a set of "Breech Lock" inserts anyway.

IMHO, if you decide to go with a Lee pay the small amount of extra cash for the four-hole model. That gives you the option of installing a powder measure in one station or doing your crimping separately from bullet seating while having a complete three-die pistol set in place. It also gives you more options when you're reloading rifle cartridges as there will be room for one or two more specialty dies/devices along with your standard two-die set.

With the Lee, it's easiest to change calibers by simply removing one completed turret set-up and replacing it with another. Normally, your dies should not require readjustment so all you need to do is change out the turret and shell holder and reset your powder measure. IIRC, the four-hole presses are also made with an auto-indexing feature, which gives you the option of "progressive" production or running by the batch system as you prefer. Batching is a tad more time consuming, but it lets you perform QC/safety inspections during every stage of production on every round if you like, which is not a bad idea when you're starting out, IMHO.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    What kind of budget do you have?

If you need to keep the initial expenditures as low as possible, the Lee kits are a very good deal. I've used Lee reloading stuff for a quarter century, and always been pleased with it. Frankly, don't see a need to spend more on the pricier brands of presses. May or may not be worth spending more on a pricier scale, I'm only medium pleased with the Lee safety scale.

You also have to decide how much you will be reloading. Will a single stage be adequate for your uses, or are you going to be reloading a whole bunch of ammo, which may make a more expensive and complicated turret or progressive press may be better for you. The amount of time you wish to spend reloading will affect your decision in this regard, also. If it's a hobby you don't mind spending time on, a single stage is awesome. Simple and I feel more involved with what I'm doing, but it's slower. Frankly, when using friend's progressives I've found it boring, but if your spare time is limited it may be a way to go for you.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I just got a flyer in email that Natchez Shooters Supply is having a pretty decent sale on reloading kits from RCBS, Lee, and Hornady, as well as some tumblers and accessories, FWIW.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I started with a Lee Anniversary Kit many years ago. I still have the press but am selling to a friend. I have two of the powder measures and they are quite consistent with most powders. I really like Lee case lube. The case trimmers and primer pocket cleaners are still in use. I still have the scale, I have no problem with it's accuracy, but I have moved to a digital scale, but use the balance scales from time to time to verify. The Lee Auto Prime is a good tool to have. It came with the kit with all the shell holders.

Some years ago I bought a Turret press from a friend and the Challenger press moved to decapping duty. I have since bought a Lee Classic Turret, and the Lee Turret is now my mobile reloading station, converted to 4-hole like the Classic Turret. I doubt I will ever outgrow the Classic Turret. It is hands down THE BEST press for the money. Caliber changes take 10 seconds, but best of all, the dies are set in the turret, all I do is verify the set and start loading.

Also I love the 4-hole turret, there is a place for the Factory Crimp Die, which I use on all the revolvers.

I also have the Lee Loadmaster.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the info. I have actually been looking at some of the turret style presses and they apprear to be a pretty attractive option. Do you know if Lee offers those in the Breech Lock set up.

Like said above, there wouldn't really be any advantages if they did offer the breech lock. The turret heads removes so quickly and are only maybe $12.00 as is.

The Lee turret would be an excellent choice. It can easily be used as either a single stage or a auto-indexing turret. I would suggest paying a little more and getting the (4) hole heavier cast version. I believe thats the one thats called the classic ? ? ? it will have a longer stroke which isn't needed for handgun, but it is built so much heavier.

So many state that a single stage is simplier to start on. Honestly, IMO, the turret is even simplier. Once you have your dies set, they stay set ! This is as long as you buy a turret for ea caliber of course.

If in fact you do go with a turret, be sure to consider if you want their (3) die set or (4) die set before ordering. If the (4) die set is what you'd want, it will be cheaper in the long run to just order it right off the bat, rather than add the factory crimp die later.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    For the reloader just starting out I think a kit like the RCBS in the link below is the way to go.

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit - MidwayUSA

I have a Redding Boss, a RCBS Rockchucker, and a Lee Challenger. The Redding was my first press, bought it about 25 years ago and still use it on a reqular basis, very good press. The Rockchucker is a very good press also and I use it as much as my Redding. Either of these presses will do anything a reloader would want to do and last a lifetime. My Lee press I got in a trade and it came with a Lee scale and powder measure. I sold off the Lee powder measure and scale, I have two RCBS powder measures and two RCBS scales and was not impressed at all with the Lee equipment. Still have the Lee press but it just lays on the floor under my bench, it just doesn't compare to the Redding or the RCBS. I know there is alot of reloaders out there that love their Lee presses, but I feel that as far as single stage presses go the RCBS Rockchucker is the best there is with the Redding press a very close second.

USMC3041

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Get the Rockchucker Supreme and enjoy. You'll eventually end up with a progressive. My selection would be Dilon RL550B. I have a single stage Lyman and Dillon RL550B, they both have their merits. I use both depending on what I'm loading and what for. For accuracy the single stage gets the workout. For blasting ammo the dillon. Although I have loaded some accurate rounds on the Dillon. Getting ready to load up a 1000 .223 and .308 for blasting, they will go through the Dillon

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    the thing i like about kits for the newbie reloader is it comes with most everything you need when you dont even understand what you need yet. when i started i bought the lee kit. the only thing i still use out of it is the powder dispenser and some of the small odds and ends. i sold the rest off as i learned more about what i wanted to be able to do.

had i bought the rockchucker i would not have had to upgrade as much. if i were doing it again i would have bought the rockchucker kit

This was my thoughts. I have had my RCBS press for over 30 years and it is still as good today as it was when I got it used back then. I also Have a dillon that is over 20 years old. the kit will get you started and you will need most of the stuff in there at some point. But buy a higher end press if you can aford it it will out live you.

Top Bottom