• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • g3man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Intersted in getting into reloading and would love for anyone who is willing to sound off and tell me there thoughts on equipment selection. I want to learn from any mistakes made. Are the kits the best deal or are they just filling a box up with inferior stuff and a descent press.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I've been wondering the same thing.

Was looking at the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Kit

Midsouth RCBS RELOADING PRODUCTS ROCKCHUCKER SUPREME MASTER RELOADING KIT

But adding a digital scale and powder measure stand, and it doesn't come with a case trimmer it appears...

Or would I be better off throwing together everything individually?

I'm looking at single stage, probably RCBS Rockchucker, or Redding Boss or Big Boss... But the Redding Kits are more expensive and come with a large stand I won't use...

Guess I need to go through an add up individual components and compare pricing?

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Intersted in getting into reloading and would love for anyone who is willing to sound off and tell me there thoughts on equipment selection. I want to learn from any mistakes made. Are the kits the best deal or are they just filling a box up with inferior stuff and a descent press.

IMHO, a kit can get you a good start. Most of the kits come with things you will end up needing eventually, and it is easier than trying to piece it all together. Might be a little more expensive though.

Was looking at the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Kit

Or would I be better off throwing together everything individually?

First, you absolutely cannot go wrong with RCBS for single stage. They will last forever, literally.

Secondly, you can probably get everything a little cheaper by piecing it together invidually, but that requires patience, whatever that means. :dunno:

You can often find folks that are looking to ditch the entire hobby or their existing setup for a new one. Depending, it may even come with components, however, you will still be looking for odds and ends throughout the process.

As I mentioned above, a kit is a great way to get started, and then you can piece together the remaining necessities, but you will likely pay slightly more to go this direction. If you have the patience to wait it out and find the deals, you won't start reloading as soon, but you will end up paying less money for the equipment.

My :twocents:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    the thing i like about kits for the newbie reloader is it comes with most everything you need when you dont even understand what you need yet. when i started i bought the lee kit. the only thing i still use out of it is the powder dispenser and some of the small odds and ends. i sold the rest off as i learned more about what i wanted to be able to do.

had i bought the rockchucker i would not have had to upgrade as much. if i were doing it again i would have bought the rockchucker kit

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Well, I've helped my dad reload since I was a kid, so I've got a pretty good idea what I need, and access to many reloading manuals.

The main reason I'm wanting to get into it myself is that his workbench seems to stay hidden under a couple feet of whatever he throws on it that doesn't have a spot, lol.

His Rockchucker is older than I am, but I've read good things about the Redding too.

I'm not looking at starting up right away, gotta get some bills caught up first and my workbench, more of a tax-time project, so I've got time to look for pieces and piece it all together myself.

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I will add that a single stage is the perfect place to start. It let's you see and work with each step in the process versus a progressive where mistakes can happen. Not saying there aren't people who have started on a progressive and been successful, the single stage just forces you to learn.

Additionally, as 42769vette said, you can upgrade when you learn more about what you can and want to do.

Lastly, I don't know many people who have started with a Rockchucker, and parted out the press. Most people keep it even if they upgrade to a progressive. It is great for precision work and is in my very little experience, something I would not want to be without.

There are many on here who have been doing it longer and know a lot more than me, but I wouldn't trade my RCBS for any other.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I started, with an RCBS single stage, and 30 years later, still using it... Start with what you can afford, look around, check out e bay, some good deals can be had... Check out our advertisers here... get with someone, who "knows what they are doing" and have them show you, what they do... take a class.... the buy a manual, READ, READ, READ, and ask questions.... then dive in.... :twocents:

g3man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Thanks for all of the input from everyone who posted. Both of my brothers bought Lee kits. one of them just got his a year ago and the other has been using his since 2002. What does the RCB have over the Lee? I would love to have a Dillon but is the extra money really justified in the end? I am planning on working with 308, 30-06, 223, 9mm, and 45ACP.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I have no experience with Lee, so i can't comment. I know there are a lot of Lee fan's on INGO. I do however have experience with RCBS. It is ROCK SOLID, and doesn't miss a beat. My father was an avid reloader, and used his "Rock Chucker" for 25+ years, and then a flood hit our basement. After 8 years or so in a box in storage in the garage, the Rock Chucker got cleaned, and I have been using the same one for the past 2-ish years. I also purchased a new one of my own, so I have two. To me, its like buying a John Deere....you just can't go wrong.

If you plan to reload 1,000+ rounds per month, the a Dillon is absolutely worth it. If you want to reload quickly and not worry about precision, then a Dillon progressive fits the bill as well. However, as I mentioned previously, a single stage is where to start, and ADD a Dillon later. (Notice the term add, not upgrade or replace). ;)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thanks for all of the input from everyone who posted. Both of my brothers bought Lee kits. one of them just got his a year ago and the other has been using his since 2002. What does the RCB have over the Lee? I would love to have a Dillon but is the extra money really justified in the end? I am planning on working with 308, 30-06, 223, 9mm, and 45ACP.

imo rcbs is just higher qualiy and produces better ammo. the lee classic i had seamed to have some flex and the stopping point in with the handle was not as pronounced as the rcbs.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I have both a RCBS Rockchucker and a Lee classic turret... IMO, the RCBS is built better, but the turret is much faster. I use the RCBS for rifle and the turret for all handgun.

I would have to think the Dillion would be worth every bit the extra if you have the need for it. Only you know 1) How many rounds you want to shoot... 2) If you can regularly buy enough components to justify it... 3) How much you value the time you would spend on reloading. Would you enjoy reloading, or would it seem more bothersome and you would rather sppend that time at the range ?

Ruger47274

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    This debate on loaders (single vs progressive) can be summed up like automobiles (Chevette vs Corvette,,, Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge) How much :spend:money you want to spend or HAVE to spend and how FAST you want to get there and MINE is better than yours.
    Everyone has their favs. Best thing to do is do some research and find RATINGS/REVIEWS on some that you think you might like to own. Then pick everyone's brains as you are doing now.
    I purchased a used Lee single years ago. Therefore I've kind of fond of Lee. Has never given me any trouble. I actually bought a new LEE SINGLE press ( Challenger Breech Lock ) Love this new feature. Can buy extra Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings to put on other die sets down the road to allow you to quickly change to a different caliber in just seconds without the need of re-setting each die every time you do so.
    I've since bought the Lee Loadmaster Progressive press. This is set up for 9mm and will (as far as I know) stay 9mm. I will keep my Single Press to use for other rounds. Example,, my 44mags and my step-son's .243s. Good luck to ya on your quest for a loader. There are allot of threads on this forum referring to WHICH is best I believe. Do a search and you will find should find some of them.
    Lots of great ppl on here eager to help ya..
    & I've never used any other brand loader, so, I can't honestly tell you which is better. :dunno:

Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana
    I will have to agree with many other folks advice as I too started out on a RCBS single stage... It is a great way to get started. A good friends father gave it to me about 3 yrs ago. It takes a while to make a large amout of ammo but you are less likely to make major mistakes if you take your time. I load 40 & 45 in large quantities so I bought a Lee Pro 1000 and so far have had no issues that were not my fault (about 500rds). IMO I would stear clear of an electronic scale to start get a good beam scale. Even with an electronic scale I still check the weight on the beam. You have to weigh out you options. Amount of rds vs time to spend reloading. I added the progressive press because the single stage took to long to turn out the large quantities that I was shooting. Personally I would not change the fact that I started on the RCBS I learned alot just starting that way. I hope this helps in some way.

Top Bottom