• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I apologize if it has already been suggested multiple times but I am to lazy to read through 40+ pages of replies. I will recommend only what I use. With in your budget you would be EXTREAMLY hard pressed to do better than a S&W M&P Shield or M&P 9mm compact. I have own the Shield and absolutely love it. Have carried it in a Alien gear IWB holster (forget the exact model it's there newest one model III something) and its quite comfortable. I also carry it often in a Desantis pocket holster, not the best put works well for what it's design intends. I did order a Pierce grip extender for it and it didn't increase it's printing area at all but I dress to carry though.

I have had the opportunity to shoot a M&P 9mm compact often enough to know it is also a CC pistol option well worth your consideration again IMHO. I know the M&P series of HG's triggers have received less than stellar reviews and from what I know they early ones deserved such criticisms, but the M&P's made like my Shield as well as all other M&P's supposedly had improvements done to their triggers. I don't know if that is true or not, but my Shield and the M&P 9c and the two full sized M&P pros I've shot all had decent for factory triggers, but I am of the school of train to your weapon.

If I were you, I would do as many side by comparisons as I could before I bought. If there is any way you can shoot any pistol you are considering that's the best test of all IMHO, but at least around me few indoor gun ranges rent many HGs and most are Glocks, M&Ps, and Sigs and per the answer to my question as to why these three all the time I was told, because they are the best buys because of police dept sell offs.

dshaf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Kahr p380 in the pocket. Very concealable and is the most accurate little .380 I have ever shot.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I like you were on a budget for which gun I would buy for CC. I presently carry a S&W M&P Shield. I examined as many sub compacts as I could and spent close to three months deciding what CC HG to buy, and in the end I chose the Shield and two years later I'm still completely satisfied. For me it came down to:

#1-Erganomics aka how the gun felt in my hands.
    #2-Relaibility
    #3-concealability

I wanted a purpose specific HG for CC. After all other things being equal in terms of reliability and accuracy I knew if the gun I decided on wasn't light and very easy to carry and conceal it would end up in my safe more often then on my person. You need to develop a similar set of requirements and criteria if you have not done so already. And you must also understand there are no free lunches. I willingly sacrificed capacity in exchange for weight and concealability.

I had given long hard looks at Kahrs, Glocks, Walthers, Rugars, CZ's, Kel-Tec's and even M&Pc's but in the end I bought the Shield.

What sold me on the Shield was it felt best in my hand, had a better trigger than the others IMHO (YHOMV) and for what ever reason was lust at first try.
    Not just my opinion, but in many far more experienced gun aficionados opinions than I likely will ever be, FOR THE MONEY you will be hard pressed to best the Shield for its intended use, equal it yes, but for around $400 (considerably less if you buy on line) you will have a hard time besting it.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    2q0q8wl.jpg

One of these, depending on what I'm wearing. But usually the Shield 9.

Pirate34

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 30, 2016
    Charlestown
    Springfield XD Mod.2 in 9mm. Very smooth, easy carry, feels like a part of your hand with the Pearce grip extension on the 10 round mag. Love this gun.

Pirate34

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 30, 2016
    Charlestown
    Springfield XD Mod.2 in 9mm. Very smooth, easy carry, feels like a part of your hand with the Pearce grip extension on the 10 round mag. Love this gun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am gearing up to buy a compact carry gun in a couple months but I do not want a glock. What do you carry or suggest? I am looking for a barrel length of 4 inches or less and at $500 or less.

Well, the price is a killer so lets just say nada in that price point.

Top Bottom