• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I use EAR muffs, they were free. Also use EAR foam plugs from time to time. I had the opportunity to use some Peltor muffs during a training session at Fort Knox. I was really impressed with the protection they afford AND the quality of the sound for normal talking. Not sure what model they were. I'm gonna save up for a pair.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I have a hard time keeping muffs where they can be effective when shooting rifles. Seems like I push the stock up under them and off my ears.

Here are two very recent pictures of me shooting an AR and an AK using the Radians ProAmp muffs. As you can see, they don't interfere with either stock.

evan_barricade3.jpg

evan_AK2.jpg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    I like the Surefire and the Silencio plugs with valves. They don't feel stuffy because of the valve. I like them because gunfire (especially indoors) won't damage my hearing or "stun" me and regular noises can still be heard.

I bought 10 pairs of the Silencios, about 10 years ago, for informal competition use, or home defense, and still have about 8 pairs left. One earpiece goes defective on me about every 2-3 years. However, if the plugs don't fit your ears, you will hate them. These valve types are sold under different names or packages at several gun shops I visit. Definitely buy one pair to see if they fit before getting them in any quantity.

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    I use some cheap foam earplugs that are linked by a plastic cord. They are free at work, and actually do a very good job cutting out the high frequency / high DB stuff that guns produce, and don't completely block out all voices. I used them very effectively last year at a carbine training course.

I use them because;

a) They are free and unlimited at work (mandatory PPE on the shop floor)
    b) They are very compact and don't interfer with cheek weld
    c) I can keep an extra set in the butstock or pistol grip of many of my rifles.

While they aren't as good as good muffs, they certainly do the trick.

Same reason I use them as well.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

turn4chatter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    I have been look for a pair of electronic muffs and seen lot of people recommend the "Howard Leight Impact Sport". Anyone know how well these would work for someone with a big head? My hat size is just under 8. Hate the idea of ordering something that may not fit my dome.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have been look for a pair of electronic muffs and seen lot of people recommend the "Howard Leight Impact Sport". Anyone know how well these would work for someone with a big head? My hat size is just under 8. Hate the idea of ordering something that may not fit my dome.

I ended up with the Howard Leight's. They are great. I, too, have a big dome. When I wore fitted hats, I was wearing 7 7/8 or 7 5/8. I don't think you'll have a problem with these fitting. I'm sure if you get them and decide they are not for you, you could probably unload them in the classifieds.

turn4chatter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    I ended up with the Howard Leight's. They are great. I, too, have a big dome. When I wore fitted hats, I was wearing 7 7/8 or 7 5/8. I don't think you'll have a problem with these fitting. I'm sure if you get them and decide they are not for you, you could probably unload them in the classifieds.

Great...7 7/8 was the size of the last hat I got......Guess i will be ordering some.

Thanx for the speedy reply.

Sgt Stoner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Fishers
    Surefire Sonic Defenders!!!! Bought a pair at a PX in Iraq and saw em here at the PX on Ft. Harrison. $12 they mold to the inside of your ear and are very comfortable. I use em on the range no matter what calibers are being fired around me and can still hold a conversation without yelling. I recommend them to all my shooting buddies.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Surefire Sonic Defenders!!!! Bought a pair at a PX in Iraq and saw em here at the PX on Ft. Harrison. $12 they mold to the inside of your ear and are very comfortable. I use em on the range no matter what calibers are being fired around me and can still hold a conversation without yelling. I recommend them to all my shooting buddies.

+1. I hadn't heard them called that though. Surefire EP-4s are the ones I use with the three flanges. Dirt cheap, all-day comfortable, and no damn muffs on your ears. I'll never go back to old-style muffs. Peltor makes a version too although I haven't tried them.

Top Bottom